Unlimited access >

Aiken Tack Exchange is awful to consign with - any tips for getting my money?

I was reading it with the mindset of most consignment stores I’ve used where your stuff sells and you have to call in for a total or something. The automatic check part, I agree with you. If you choose check option on that contract you shouldn’t have to reach out I suppose. I’d be sending them my copy showing I chose check.

I’m moving to Aiken soon and have half a farm to downsize. They were coming highly recommended so I’m trying to do my own research per se.

2 Likes

It looks like the original store shown on the web site has closed and the current business address is 127 Hedge Avenue. Google Earth street view shows a building at that address with a Custom Saddlery sign on it. Custom Saddlery has listed this as their business address in the past. I am not sure how old the Google photos are. Maybe go to that new address and ask for your money in person?

I’ve consigned some stuff with a local shop and don’t get notified when it sells… when I go in, I ask if I have any credit on the books. They can look it up and let me know how much. I’ve never taken the cash/check option, so I don’t know how differently that works. I can see calling people when a big ticket item like a saddle sells, but when you have possibly hundreds of people who each consigned a bunch of smaller stuff, notifying every single person of each saddle pad or pair of breeches sold might take a significant amount of time.

They bought the old custom place and both places changed location.

Less time than having to deal with them calling you weekly to ask if their items have sold yet and then having to look it up.

While the paperwork is being done to register a consigned item has sold, you (they) send out an email saying Hey Trub, your saddle pad sold for $X on < date >. You now have a store credit of $Y.

1 Like

I wish! I’ve consigned plenty of things and never gotten a notification. You either saw your item disappear off the site (big ticket items like saddles) or you called. If you don’t contact them for a cash out or come in the store within a year, you forfeit the money. That’s multiple shops.

I guess the hassle of answering the phones is worth the number of people who just forget to cash out, or the number of locals who swing in and spend store credit every other week.

I have never called Pelham Saddlery, they just send me a check?

Maybe how you sell depends on what you sign for, different options on how to receive notifications or your money?

1 Like

I’ve not consigned with them. But I’ve consigned with several others - obviously policies vary. I was just pointing out that this method isn’t unique to Aiken

Again - to avoid this hassle, I walk in and try to bulk-sell my items to them. I walk out with cash, never having to remember what’s consigned where, or for how much.

For larger single items, this might not work, but for a tote full of smaller stuff - it truly is the more efficient way.

3 Likes

My favorite story about consignment tack shops. Many years ago there was a wonderful tack shop called Old Frontier, in Grovetown, Georgia, that served as the hub of the horse world in the area. There had been a rash of thefts from barns in the area, A young guy appeared at Old Frontier with a saddle to sell, and the tack shop owner, Jewel, recognized the saddle as one she knew belonged to one of her customers.

Having great poise, Jewel took the saddle on consignment and got the guy’s contact information. She contacted the sheriff and they set up a sting. She called the saddle thief, told him the saddle was sold, and he could set up a time to come in to the tack shop for his money. Not only did the thief show up and was arrested in the store after receiving his cash , but the tack shop was packed with customers who had heard about the plan and had come to watch the arrest.

24 Likes

A friend just discovered (when I asked about her status, prompted from this thread) that her saddle was no longer listed and no check was ever sent. Pelham Saddlery.

4 Likes

I received my check last fall, a saddle I consigned last spring, so fairly recent?
Maybe check was lost in the mail?

Same here. They have sold 5 or 6 saddles for me, and I’d never know until I got a check.

The same was true of Horsemans Exchange in Littleton. They have really cut back on their consignments, and only take high-end stuff now. When I consigned there ~ 5-10 years ago, they got 50% I think of anything that sold, which is a lot, but I’d get a check about once a quarter for sold items. The unsold items were donated to the MSPCA after 120 days I think.

I have some unused or barely used stuff from Lola that I need to sell. I’ve done reasonably well posting on FB, but that was a while ago.

1 Like

I’ve sold some piddly stuff and received a check when it sold, no follow up required. If they don’t have the staff to deal with the paperwork that goes consignments, they need to re-assess their business model.

12 Likes

I used Aiken Tack Exchange once and had to beg for my check.

So, i switched and dince then I have sold 3 dressage saddles through Oak Manor Saddlery on 301.

They have a system, they call you if there is price negotiation and your check gets cut like the Wednesday after it sells.

I didn’t get as much money for my customs with her but did not have to beg for my checks like I did at Aiken Tack Echange.

6 Likes

Oak manor saddlery is the way to go for consignments in Aiken.

4 Likes

Why don’t you just send them letter, enclose the contract and tell them that you will be contacting your state’s Attorney General if you don’t see a check in a week or 10 days?

5 Likes

I consigned a saddle and forgot about it. 2 years later I remembered and asked. They had switched from paper invoices & could barely find the transaction. They love people like me.

3 Likes

As a note I won’t ever use Pelham to sell a saddle - they are glacially slow to list anything. Like 6 months or more slow.

In the pre-internet days they did a brisk business but I could sell a saddle myself on any of the FB groups in less than the time it takes them to take some pictures and put it out, so I’m not tremendously impressed by them in today’s day and age.

ETA: On Course in Wellington sends a check the first of the month after your item sells with an itemization of what sold and for how much. They have a bazillion small items, so if they can figure it out, I’m sure other people could with some effort.

8 Likes

I’ve stopped in and it looked like a disaster. You could barely find anything, saddles stacked on top of each other. Also needed assistance ordering something and the whole process was so terrible they had to give me a full refund even after finally getting the item to me.

2 Likes