Unlimited access >

Am I a b***** for not feeding a client/boarder's horse their supplements?

Frankly, this is part of feeding time. The barn staff being paid to feed, should be feeding in its entirety. Skeleton crew or not, these boarders are paying to have their horse cared for. Personally I’d be super miffed if I found out my horse wasn’t getting the supplements I pay for, and I pay the barn to give, even just once a week. Medically necessary or not, it is not okay to skip parts of the routine, especially feeding routines.

When COVID first hit and we had to shut the barn down to boarders for a couple weeks, I was responsible for 22 horses, 7 days a week. Just me. You bet your butt they got their supplements. They got necessary blanket changes, they got what they needed, and what their owners were paying for.

25 Likes

I’ve seen many a farm that had provisions in their contract for “lesser” care some days a week. No TO on Sundays, no stall cleaning on weekends, etc. If OP’s barn contract is no supps on Mondays then no supps on Mondays is what the boarders are paying for.

5 Likes

If you are being paid - do it, if you are not, then tell her your time is valuable.
There is a fine line between nice and doormat.
If it is just supplements you can use a, automatic pet food feeder and some woodworking skills to rig up an timed delivery system - learned that when I was giving my horse cimetidine for ulcers every 8 hours.

1 Like

Barns can do whatever they want as long as they disclose it. Boarders are free to board elsewhere. Boarding is always compromise, You choose what you can live with and different people with different horses in different regions will make different choices.

Surprised BO hasn’t said something to OP for taking over staff duties on other peoples horses and exposing the barn to potential liability.

OP can, and should, just say shes not comfortable taking over chores and assuming responsibility for somebody else’s horse. Period.

3 Likes

The availability of a groom to do this for a tip is a great solution. With this option open to her she had absolutely NO reason to ask you.

14 Likes

If boarders want ‘added services’, like supps every day, I’d let the BO know.
Maybe it can be done by paying one person to do it, funded by a small additional fee for each boarder. If five people cough up $5, it might make it worth it.

It depends what the contract says. If it states that no supplements are given on Mondays, then it is what it is.

I don’t know why boarding barns have to be so fricken weird sometimes. Then it becomes an “us” vs “them” thing and there’s resentment.

I think it’s a bizarre to not feed supplements on a Monday, and the boarders can’t even come to do it themselves. It’s just weird the things that are cut out or the rules that are made sometimes. If the barn was otherwise perfect, then I’d possibly be like “whatever” but I’ve been fortunate enough to be at places that are open 7 days a week, feed (everything or let me do it) 7 days a week, and generally did not give people special or preferential treatment. Horses are 24/7 365. People that don’t get that, shouldn’t be in the business. It’s bloody hard, and if you’re not up for that, don’t own/manage/work at a barn. I worked at a barn when I was younger and it motivated me to finish my degrees and get a non horsey job :joy:

I honestly am cringing a bit that this is, what I assume to be, a full service boarding stable, but giving meds is considered to be “a favor”

I think the Monday thing is also a bit blurry. It seems as though you’re working but also off? As in you don’t expect to do the usual full amount of work? So that doesn’t help set clear boundaries either. You could chat with the BO and come out with a clear reminder and inform all boarders that supplements aren’t given on Mondays (unless it’s stated otherwise in the contract, then that’s another matter). IMO meds should be given regardless, as prescribed, and not as a “favor” or seen as a favor. If the barn cannot give meds, the boarder should be allowed to, IMO.

Some barns do charge extra for certain med administering, which in some cases I can understand if it’s not simply just put into the feed.

2 Likes

The term “ full service” has no one size fits all definition. Like I said upthread, different barns have different services and different people have different options to choose from then other posters might have. What one person thinks essential may not be one of the options offered to others. There is also a financial component on both the barns level of service and what boarders are willing to pay- hiring more staff might mean price increases.

Been in many barns that were “closed” Mondays, one “closed” Wednesdays, but there was no interruption of horse care services offered and defined in the contract. These all were a little pricier but, to me in my situation, worth it as I could not get to the barn 7 days a week and wanted Adult Professional staff only.

Also been in sketchier barns where it was pretty much necessary to stop by daily, gave that up as career demands increased. Well worth the peace of mind. Choices.

2 Likes

Ok, yes, I understand that. Honestly, as long as it’s outlined in the contract and clearly defined to the boarders, I don’t care what a barn does, really. I just want communication to he clear. If it states that supplements are given as a part of full board, then it’s odd to not give them a certain day, know what I mean? Just as an example.

If things are clearly spelled out and that’s what the barn is sticking to, then so be it. They can say only turquoise shoes are allowed on Thursday for all I care. As long as it’s clearly defined. Then boarders can set their expectations accordingly and the barn can provide services/enforce rules as defined.

I don’t like when things are clearly defined and communicated then it becomes an us vs. them thing and it could’ve all been solved if things were clearly spelled out.

Do I think not feeding supplements on Monday is weird? Yes, but I don’t have to board there or might compromise on that or some other things if everything else is good.

To me giving meds as prescribed by a vet is animal welfare 101 and if the barn won’t do it, the owner should be allowed to. Also fine if the barn (as outlined in their contract) charges a fee.

2 Likes

She has a groom??? Yet asks you for favors??? Noopity poopity. Glad you sorted this out. I had an experience this summer where a “friend” didn’t ask me to do her a favor, expected me to do it and sent me a scathing text when I didn’t. People be crazy.

5 Likes

How are you (general) supposed to know you are should do something if the other person never asks you to do it?

2 Likes

This irks me to no end. It’s as if some people expect others to read their mind and/or just know their expectations.

Good communication. That’s all it takes.

2 Likes

Amazing. Asking for favor and taking income from someone. Nope you say and now she is happy to actually pay a hard working member of staff.

This is a win for you and a win for the groom

5 Likes

The real question is why does anyone board where their horse won’t get their supplements on Mondays?

But your actual question - NO is a full and complete answer and you are well within your rights to use it as a full and complete sentence in this particular circumstance. Do not let anyone walk on you. The next thing that happens if you do is you feel you have an obligation to make it to the barn every Monday. Then the resentment builds. Ugh. “No.” “No, sorry.” if you want to be super polite.

3 Likes

If an otherwise acceptable barn that doesn’t feed supplements on Mondays is the best option available? Thats why somebody might choose it. Easy to armchair judge compromises made by others. Hard to make those choices in areas with few options and possible budget challenges.

3 Likes

That’s how I see it too. While I’ve always been at barns (as I said earlier) that have very generous hours 7 days a week, and have fed supplements everyday or let me feed them, I would compromise on some things if the barn was otherwise quite good.

Or in my area, for example, there aren’t many good boarding barns or barns that have any sort of decent facilities, so if one popped up that was good and had nice facilities, I’d probably forego the supplements on a Monday if I had too. I would, however, expect prescribed meds to be admisrered (either included or at an additional cost) and I’d communicate with the BO/BM about that.

It’s easy to judge or say “you need to move” or “why would you board there” and things of that nature, but sometimes it isn’t so simple and options are very scarce, so you work with what you’ve got. Some of us will also compromise on x thing while others won’t but would compromise on y thing.

Then there is the matter of budget too. Especially with everything being so expensive nowadays. Some people might be in a tight spot for a bit.

Easy to judge and say what one should do, but harder in practice, sometimes :wink:

1 Like

Did I judge? No, I asked why anyone would actually board at a place that can’t even be arsed to feed properly nearly 15% of the time.

I admit I do find that shocking and that would absolutely not be something I personally could compromise on. Honestly, I am shocked that anyone would compromise on that when you consider the need for certain supplements to be administered on the regular.

And it seems some of these supplements are actually meds on occasion? Holy smokes.

I personally didn’t say what anyone should do about boarding there, but I asked why? As to the harder in practice thing - yup, some things are hard. We have to make the best decision for our horse. To me it’s a no brainer that if my horse only received it’s supplements 85% of the time, then it’s not worth having the horse on them at all and that the barn really doesn’t give a crap about horse care. That wouldn’t work for me. Apparently it works for others.

3 Likes

I guess because you did it with no problem for 8 weeks she thought you wouldn’t mind?

I guess I have more of a concern of horses not getting ulcer meds or supplements when they should be? Even a skeleton crew should be able to feed them. After all they are supposed to be fed daily…

With what people pay for board these days ? They are graining on Mondays? Just drop it in.

2 Likes

I’m not judging, but consistently not feeding supplements once a week is not a practice I have encountered.

Lots of barns have a “dark day” where they are closed to the public. Lots of barns have an easy day where they skip certain chores, like stall cleaning or even turnout.

But some things you just can’t skip with horses. Personally, I feel medications are one of those things. The OP mentioned helping out by giving ulcer meds and antibiotics on Monday- it is NOT OKAY to skip those things for the sake of convenience! “Your barn, your rules,” sure… but skipping antibiotics affects all of us. And skipping ulcer meds means a boarder is potentially throwing large sums of money down the drain trying to treat a problem that will never heal in a timely manner if the horse is missing a dose every week.

Also, as horses get more expensive and more challenging to own, I don’t think the attitude of “if you don’t like it then leave” is particularly helpful. I have lived in areas where there are little to no boarding barns. A lot of people don’t have the luxury of a bunch of barns to chose from. I think at very minimum you should be able to trust your barn to administer prescriptions as directed by your veterinarian if they aren’t going to allow you to be there to do it yourself!

PS I fully see the irony of me starting the post saying “I’m not judging…” then getting very judgemental. But the antibiotics in particular are very upsetting to me.

14 Likes

Not identical, but a similar situation that sounded worse to the owners than it was to the horses.

The barn I’ve been at for 12 years now doesn’t clean stalls or do turnout on Sundays, but it’s not closed to boarders. I was concerned at first but it fits my need in every other way.

And my horses have been fine with this system. No colic, anxiety, thrush, etc.

1 Like