Unlimited access >

Am I a b***** for not feeding a client/boarder's horse their supplements?

Not that similar really. Because the barn is still open and you can go there and let Dobbin out and clean Dobbin’s stall.

The barn in the OP sounds like not only do the horses get very minimal care (no supplements is just weird) but the owners are not allowed out either.

I have known of several barns that do what you describe. I have never heard of a barn changing feeding routine one day of the week.

6 Likes

The no supplement thing is odd, especially if boarders prepackage so it is literally just adding to the grain. And not allowing owners even when the horse needs meds? Definite no!

Over the years I have been at barns that didnt turnout or clean stalls on Sunday. It worked for them as they were often showing and the boarders were more likely to be able to come and work with their horses (and clean if so inclined). Feeding was as usual and the weekday crew generally prepped the feed/supplements for two days for the weekenders so they only needed to be dumped. If meds needed different handling/administering, the horse owner made arrangements (I didn’t have to so don’t know what they were) Also was at a barn that was “closed” on Mondays. That meant no riding or lungeing and visiting was discouraged but not prohibited. Horses were turned our, fed, etc as usual but they could do maintenance without boarders around.

4 Likes

So what I’m hearing is, ya gotta take what’s offered.
But as farms become fewer, ie less competition, do we think services, ie vital care, will improve?

Our sport is dying. It’s very sad.

2 Likes

Yes, but I don’t. Neither do any of the other full-care boarders except one. All the horses are fine.

It’s not perfect but no barn is. When there’s 100 good things and one thing you’re not crazy about, that’s a pretty good situation.

1 Like

You would think that even in a dying sport with less competition in the horse housing market, basic tenants of good horsemanship would remain. Like allowing owners to follow the directions of a veterinarian to treat an issue. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Indeed

It’s OK to say “no” as often as you’d like, you aren’t a barn employee.

5 Likes

You are assuming the “ basic tenants of horsekeeping” ever existed in some of these barns.

Barns are vanishing partly because they can no longer operate at a loss year after year and their boarders won’t or can’t afford to pay more in board.

Some barns “ close “ one day a week to do heavy repair, cleaning, vet, farrier or deal with the show string and equipment that usually returns anywhere from 1 AM Monday morning to mid afternoon Monday depending on how far they hauled after wrapping the show.

But some other barns “close” or flat out close because they can’t afford more then one person to come in if that, BO often does everything that day and can’t do it all. Adding somebody and raising the board won’t fly with the boarders.

According to the OP, this is a very large facility with four barns. I assume the workers who come in during the closed day may not be terribly experienced (or are only being paid for a specific minimal number of hours work), so the logic is there may be concerns about everything getting done properly, or while one horse needing supplements and medication might not be a big deal, if every horse needs an extra “dump” in the bucket, plus a quick check to make sure it’s correct, plus extra blanket changes, the time adds up, labor-wise.

Ideally owners should be “allowed” to at least administer medication, supplements, and do a blanket change even when the barn is closed. I understand the total closure is in the boarding contract, but it can be hard to predict if a horse’s daily medication or dietary needs change. Of course, before BOs jump on me, I know that the “allow boarders to get in and get out to do a quick check and make up a feed bucket on Monday” exemption can be quickly ruined by one boarder who comes with her five unleashed corgis and decides to do a special grooming and photography session blocking the aisle as well as feed supplements.

I’m glad the OP is off the hook and a groom could be paid to satisfy the boarder’s horse’s needs.

1 Like

I don’t think you are bad not to feed boarder’s supplements, but I’m also in the I’m not sure why they aren’t being given every day? Now I do know of some barns who won’t feed supplements unless they’re in SmartPaks or owner created smartpaks which I understand. The OP certainly doesn’t want to do anything that would evolve into them becoming the ad hoc Monday barn help.

Not even close to missing a day of medications/supplements. Not even close.

Medications, no, supplements can be missed.

I hope owners are allowed to come out and turn out and clean stalls when barn staff aren’t doing it.

1 Like

This may depend on the supplement. Some are important to be given consistently even though they are OTC. For example metabolic support products, recommended by vet but bought OTC.

1 Like

I’m not nitpicking, you know what I mean when I separate medications from supplements. If it is that important, find a barn that will feed them 7 days a week, dont be like the person in the OP and expect someone to do it for you who is not staff.

My high end barn does not turn out on the weekends but I do my guys turnout 7 days a week anyway. I am fortunent to live 6 min from the barn. I have offered to pull in another borders horses in on the weekend if she turns them out in the morning. I understand not living close and I don’t mind. I could not take a barn closed a day a week. I work 3 days ride 4 days. I can’t have them taking a riding day away.

3 Likes

I’ve done quite a bit of chore trading with other boarders like you describe with the turnout trade you proposed.

I’m with you on closed days. I wouldn’t choose to board at a barn that was closed one day a week either. Especially since barns seem to like to be closed on Mondays and I often have leave from work on Mondays. But presumably the boarder the OP spoke of was aware this barn was closed and had these rules when they moved in.