Unlimited access >

Am I Ready for the AQHA Hunters?

Hi, everyone!

So…I’m showing my Quarter Horse in the Hunters at the Dixie Nationals next month. I have experience in the hunters, but not much in the AQHA world. I basically wanted to check with you guys and see what you think about my tack and attire, and if you think I should change anything. I am mostly a dressage/jumper person, so the Hunter world is a little foreign to me :slight_smile:

My attire:
Black velvet helmet
White ratcatcher with monogram on the collar
Black 3-button hunt coat
Ariat Heritage khaki size-zip breeches
Leather belt
Paddock boots and Ariat Covington half-chaps (I do not own field boots)
Black gloves

Tack:
Brown leather bridle with twisted wire dee ring snaffle
Brown Voltaire saddle
White sheepskin half pad and white square baby pad
And of course, braided mane and tail

Does anything scream “unfashionable, tacky, not proper for the hunters, or judge will hate you forever?” I’m just trying to get my turnout to be as proper as possible! We are showing in Hunter Hack, Hunter Under Saddle, and Hunt Seat Equitation. I am so excited!

I’ll be there next month too! I’m riding a dark brown gelding called Hot Sizzlin Choice in the HUS and the EQ, so say hi if you see us!

My suggestions:
Borrow a pair of field boots if you can. I’m not entirely sure that half chaps are legal for us. In any event, the Dixie is one of “the majors” for us and half chaps will look out of place.

Make sure the diameter of your snaffle mouthpiece is large enough. The rule book is specific, and they can DQ you if it’s too small.

The black coat is ok for the HUS, but do you have a navy for the EQ? Doesn’t matter how many buttons.

Is your shirt traditional or snap collar? Technically the snap collars aren’t legal for us. People wear them, but if you get a traditional, nit picky judge they’ll DQ you for it.

For the HUS and the EQ, don’t braid the tail. It’s fine for the hack, but no one does it on the flat in AQHA.

Again, for the flat classes - do you have one of the shaped number pads? Anything else will look out of place. They’re pretty cheap ($30ish) from schneiders.

You can also look at Jeff kirkbride photography’s website - they did the Congress this year, and turnout will be similar for the Dixie. It always makes me feel more comfortable when I can really “see” how everyone else looks.

You will love Dixie - it is sooo fun! So much going on. It’s like horse madness!

Yay! I’ll be on a chestnut QH.

I will try to hunt for a pair of field boots; but, half-chaps are indeed legal, and they are totally smooth leather with a Spanish top. I took them to 4-H Southern Regionals and that HUS judge was ok with them.

My snaffle is the traditional 5", so it’s good. I can borrow a navy coat for the EQ, but I am planning on just one EQ class, so that shouldn’t be a huge deal.

Shirt is traditional.

Gotcha, no braided tail. I’m so used to the USHJA Hunters where fences are crazy and everything’s braided!

Are the shaped number pads the “in” thing? I had no idea! I will most definitely get one! No problem :slight_smile:

I cannot wait for the Dixie!!! We are showing in Novice Youth, so I’m hoping competition won’t be insane. I have done HUS in classes of 120+ and that is one stressful ordeal! I am also planning on doing Hunter Hack and Working Hunter- any idea on fence heights? AQHA says Hunter Hack is 2’-3’, and Working Hunter 2’6-2’9. Do they normally max out the fences and put crazy stuff on them, or are they pretty inviting?

Thank you SO much for all your help!!

Definitely yes on the shaped number pads in the flat classes. I can’t speak to the hack as I’ve never done it before. I judged it in 4H, but that was 10 years ago so things may have changed.

As far as fence height, I honestly don’t know. The fences I’ve seen at QH shows were pretty standard striped rails and standards, some with flowers. But it all depends on what that particular show management has on hand. I’ve not ever seen crazy ones, but I don’t jump. So take that for what it’s worth.

I’m not sure if they braid the tails for the hack, so I’d look over Jeff kirkbride s website to be sure. Just definitely not on the flat.

For the bit, I meant more the diameter of the mouthpiece than the width. But if you were legal at 4H, you should be good. I believe they still base their equipment rules on AQHA.

It’s definitely insane and stressful, but so much fun! I’d expect classes of anywhere from 30 to 60 in the novice youth. When I showed novice youth at Dixie years ago in showmanship there were 48. Not as big as the regional show, but pretty much everyone there will be upper-level competition. So it’s just as deep, even though there are fewer.

You’ll have a blast! Just cross fingers for good weather! Last year it poured rain, some years it’s been 20 degrees, and sometimes it’s 70 and sunny. Here’s hoping for not-freezing at least! One tip for the HUS - idk what USHJA does on the flat, but most everyone in AQHA shows “off the rail.” About 10 feet from the rail, some further. Idk why we do it that way, but everyone does. Good luck!

You should be able to get fence height for AQHA’s rulebook. I will try to look for it.

Ahhhh thank you all so much :slight_smile:

30-60 people in a class is perfect! I know it will be very competitive, and I honestly don’t expect my 14.3, overweight, stocky gelding to place anywhere near the magnificent, huge AQHA hunters. He is a lovely mover though, so maybe he will surprise me.

I double checked my bit mouthpiece diameter, and it’s fine.

On fence heights, I did check AQHA’s rule book, BUT there were fence heights for novice and fence heights for youth- but nothing for novice youth. I’m curious because youth fences (2’9-3’0) will be too high for us to jump in a show just yet. But novice fences at 2’6-2’9 would be perfect. Also, for hunter hack, it just says 2’0-3’0. That’s a pretty big range. It doesn’t have anything listed for youth hunter hack, novice, etc. I doubt they’ll make novice youth jump 3’0 fences, but I don’t want to pay my entry fees and then scratch because the fences are crazy.

And 10 feet off the rail, no problem!

(4) Minimum height of fences must be 2’6" (79 cm), with a maximum height of 3’ (91.4 cm). Except in novice and select classes where the maximum height is 2’9" (83.8 cm).

I’m going to guess since Novice can’t be higher than 2’9 then Novice Youth won’t be higher than 2’9. THe rule is pretty vague, but every over fence and eq class says 2’6-2’9 for Novice. Thought it is a Youth class it is still technically a Novice class.

The square fleece number pocket pads are required for all classes with rail work, including hunter hack, HUS, Flat Eq. Judges can see the numbers better. For the Eq Over Fences and Working Hunter, a regular hunter pad that follows the saddle shape is used, with number pinned or tied around your waist. The baby pad with half pad will look different, but could be considered legal for rail classes with number pinned to the baby pad corners.

The double twisted wire snaffle is legal.

I would not worry too much about the black jacket. Concentrate on nailing your patterns in eq.

Fences are usually under-height and not crazy. Lead changes are scrutinized more than at USEF shows, so have clean, smooth ones.

Hunters are SMOOOTH overall rounds start to finish, and remember to trot a circle at the end, which replaces the led jog-in.

If you are unsure about anything while at the show, do not be afraid to go up to the trainers and ask, explaining that you are a first timer. They are generally happy to help new participants with procedures.

Good luck and have fun.

SHW320.3 In all English classes, riders should wear hunt coats of traditional colors such as navy, dark green, grey, black or brown. Maroon and red are improper. Breeches are to be of traditional shades of buff, khaki, canary, light grey or rust (or jodhpurs), with high English boots or paddock (jodhpur) boots of black or brown. Black, navy blue or brown hard hat (with harness for youth in any over fence classes) is mandatory. A tie or choker is required. Gloves, spurs of the unrowelled type that are blunt, round or that include a smooth rolling rubber ball and no longer than one inch and crops and bats are optional. Hair must be neat and contained (as in net or braid). Judges must penalize contestants who do not conform.

Hi, these are the rules regarding attire for AQHA english classes. You can wear tall boots or paddock boots–but half chaps are not allowed. The shaped number pad used to be required, I am not sure if they are still. HOWEVER----you need to show your number on both sides of the horse (this is required and you will get two issued to you), the shaped pads look best. I do know people who use the half pad with the shaped pad.

Braiding is not mandatary. Most people do manes (really all serious competitors ) and braiding the tail is becoming more popular.The jacket is fine. Most people ride in navy or brown,but black is fine. My show schedule takes me to most of the major shows , and I would say that being dressed neatly, hair up, and great grooming will help you feel like you belong.
Get your transitions sharp.Concentrate on smoothness and flow. Have a great time (and bring clothes for cold weather) ; )
Much luck to you!!!

Ok, I think I’ve got the basics down now! I know turnout isn’t as important as performance, but sometimes when it comes down to placings it can make the tiny difference that tips the scale. Thank you all so much for your replies; they have been so very helpful! :slight_smile:

I think the tail braiding is more popular because most use a fake tail. I don’t like that, but it is what you see.

Good luck and have fun!

Most shows, for Hunter hack, the fences are about 2’3" to 2’6". I have yet to see them higher than that except at a large show (like World or Congress - haven’t shown at Dixie to know there, didn’t even know they had fence classes?). Definitely use a square shaped number pad for hack and the other flat classes, and try your hardest to find tall boots to borrow. I really don’t think half chaps are legal either, and with some judges DQ’ing people for using snap collars, I wouldn’t take a chance on the half chaps. Tail being braided is perfectly acceptable in any and all English classes as long as it looks perfect and looks right on your horse. However, if you have a short/stocky horse, it might not look right for your particular horse. Take your horse into account before deciding whether or not to braid it. And I would say turnout is just as picky as at the large hunter shows, just in a little bit different way. Going from QH to H/J I obsessed over some details that the grooms didn’t. But then again, I had things drilled into me from years of showmanship so…

I don’t like the fake tails either. I think they are irritating to some horses, and they’re just one more expensive (yet unnecessary) thing that makes the horse world elitist. It creates an unreal expectation of what a horse’s tail looks like, and some judges will subconsciously penalize people who don’t have one, which isn’t right. Again, it is what you see, though. I personally won’t ever put one on any of my horses.

Since my boy is short and stock with a big, sweeping natural tail, I will probably leave it unbraided. If he were a tall, huntery TB type with a thin tail I would most definitely braid it!

Borrowed a pair of field boots, so no problem there.

Thanks again, guys :slight_smile:

Great job finding boots. You will look great. (And I have an Appy with very sparse tail…and he will never see a fake either. :))

OP, please come back after and share your thoughts! I have an Appendix and my trainer and I have talked about going to Dixie (once we get lead changes…so hopefully next year) since we do have a few QHs in the barn.

Also, the new trainer at a local barn has done Dixie and other AQHA shows and after we clinic-ed together w/ another trainer, she said I should take my guy to one. I’ve never done a breed show so I’d love to know about your experience!

Good luck to you and phrgirl4!

[QUOTE=sandsarita;7354760]
, and with some judges DQ’ing people for using snap collars, [/QUOTE]

Where is everyone hearing about these judges that are DQ’ing people for using snap collars? Where is everyone hearing that this is illegal?

I ask because I don’t know many people who don’t wear them in the hunters over fences… and there is a full page photo of me in this month’s Journal accepting a World Championship while obviously wearing one. I’ve never heard of anybody having an issue with this kind of shirt.

It’s rare. But if you get a nitpicky judge who’s OCD about tradition, they’ll do it. The rule book states shirt with collar. Technically those dont qualify as a collar. I know almost everyone wears them (heck, I do), but they aren’t strictly legal. My trainer is one of the top judges in the country (judges World shows regularly), and he’s known judges who DQ’ed people for wearing them. He doesn’t have a problem with them personally, just wishes they would change the rule so that everyone would be on the same page.

I wear my snap at smaller shows. At the majors I wear a “real” collar. It just costs too much to take the chance IMO.

[QUOTE=phrgirl4;7361576]
It’s rare. But if you get a nitpicky judge who’s OCD about tradition, they’ll do it. The rule book states shirt with collar. Technically those dont qualify as a collar. I know almost everyone wears them (heck, I do), but they aren’t strictly legal. My trainer is one of the top judges in the country (judges World shows regularly), and he’s known judges who DQ’ed people for wearing them. He doesn’t have a problem with them personally, just wishes they would change the rule so that everyone would be on the same page.

I wear my snap at smaller shows. At the majors I wear a “real” collar. It just costs too much to take the chance IMO.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any specific judges that you know who DQ for this?

Or has AQHA published anywhere how this is technically NOT a collar or mentioned that these specific shirts do not fit the guidelines of their rules? I would hate to think they were using a big ol photo of someone quite obviously wearing something that is “illegal” in an article.

I didn’t ask my trainer for names and he’s not a drama-starter so he generally doesn’t volunteer them. They haven’t changed the rule to include the snaps as legal, so they are still illegal per the old rule.

I can’t speak to photo choices or Journal editors. Idk if they even know the rules. The rules committee doesn’t pass on everything that’s published, I’m sure. I’m sure they used it because it was a stunning photo of you :wink:

I wouldn’t be asking for names to start drama… just asking for names to know who to avoid showing to! :wink:

I just don’t think someone could be DQ’ed for this. That would be like saying that since it doesn’t specifically say in the handbook that tall boots are allowed to have zippers, that a judge could DQ someone for wearing boots that zip because they don’t think they are “traditional.” You can penalize someone for not conforming, but not disqualify them…

The editors of the Journal are pretty savvy people. :slight_smile: They know what’s up.