Unlimited access >

Am I the only one who thinks George Morris is a bad rider?

[QUOTE=Anonymo;7896089]
I will get tons of hate for saying this, and I’m ready for it. [/QUOTE]

Yet, you used an anonymous alter to make your post. :rolleyes::lol:

[QUOTE=Anonymo;7896158]
So I’m new to all of this, as you know. I have no idea what PP or Off Course is or what you are saying by this ^ … Although I am curious! lol[/QUOTE]

So it would be a much more productive use of your time to figure this out instead of trashing poor, maligned, incompetent George Morris. Use the search feature and search on carrot stick. Much more fun. LOL!

I’ve been wasting my whole morning trying to figure out why I’m hearing HUNTING HORNS in my urban apartment.

As it turns out, the Vikings are playing the Jets in the stadium that I can see from my apartment. Apparently the horns are a thing.

Meanwhile, enjoy the image of stupid supershorty running to the window trying to figure out what the heck is going on… all morning…

1 Like

Also, a handy tip for finding trainwrecks to read: if you click on replies/views at the top of the forum, you will get a list of the most frequently replied-to threads.

Those are often contentious.

Happy trainwreck reading!

Yeah GM sucks. What kind of 70-something year old rider gets on rank horses and instantly makes them better? Bad ones. Oh that whole Olympic show jumping bit was a farce. I could do that in my sleep. And obviously the fantastic world class riders that he’s trained probably would have done better without his tutelage. Lord help him if he ever tries to teach ME something! Bah!

Oh, and since you say you are new…there is actually a search feature. I’m sure you can see thousand of other GM comments without starting a new thread. Gets a little old.

Do I think he’s a bad rider? No

Interestingly this thread has started because I just found a 2010 babbling I did after auditing one of his clinics and next weekend he is doing a clinic at the barn I board at. I am looking forward to auditing.

The subject of GM comes up often and everyone clearly has a taste for a different cup of tea. So if you don’t care for him or you do really doesn’t matter.

I don’t know GM personally just what I have read, watched on video and audited in person I do respect him as a horseman. Number one reason because he often says the horse comes first. Second reason he is old school in reference to hard work and respect. IMHO this is something that is fading in our society today.

Here is the COTH thread with my experience auditing if you are interested in further thoughts from me.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?284251-Feel-like-reading-I-wrote-about-George-Morris

[QUOTE=Anonymo;7896158]
So I’m new to all of this, as you know. I have no idea what PP or Off Course is or what you are saying by this ^ … Although I am curious! lol[/QUOTE]
New? With a obvious alter? I don’t think so.

[QUOTE=Anonymo;7896167]
Ha Ha! Thanks! That is helpful. I was like, “Pat Pepperoni? Who the f*** is that?”[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, suspicious use of the name ‘Pepperoni’ for someone new here!

I used Pepperoni first - see above.

Yes. The only one. That usually means you are wrong…

There are a lot of things to criticize about George Morris, but his riding isn’t one of them.

[QUOTE=Anonymo;7896089]
I think George Morris is extremely overrated. If you like him, good for you. :)[/QUOTE]

well, good for you but I disagree with you! If you knew ANYTHING about him, you’d know he worked very hard to become a good rider and horseman. Not to even mention how much he’s done for our country with regards to show jumping! Please, it’s alright not to like his style but you can’t discount his ability. I don’t care personally for Reed Kessler’s style but I can’t deny her ablity to compete at the top level and make it to the Olympics. I’m sure she could ride circles around me and I KNOW George can!

I don’t like him. I think he was a good rider in his younger years and is still a good rider (though might be losing some of his skill, but hello, he’s getting older). That said I have no respect for him what so ever. I audited a clinic of his where he proceeded to have the riders beat their horses to show him “how they would use a stick”, and no I am not talking gentle taps. One rider would not hit her horse very hard and first and he kept telling her “no, again, harder” until the horses were all wild eyed, confused, and really amped up. It was ridiculous. Do I think he knows a lot, yes. Do I think he also has a major ego and God complex that has made him go way too far, absolutely.

What are you feeding this troll? New poster, annonymous, and all eight posts on this thread - someone 13 years old looking for troll crumbs?

I respect your right to have an opinion & even create a thread. Some people seem to have been here for ages … they assume we all understand the aggressive undertones, catch phrases, & shared COTH lingo. That said it is possible to be opinionated & still open to debate w/others. Its not right to negate the rights of others to an open discussion of a matter in the present time. To Instead be constantly dismissed, bullied or referred to old threads. I’m curious as well in listening to what both younger generations & older schools of thoughts are on any given subject. Also Personally I’m not familiar either w/most of these snippets thrown into the mix of responses ?
Sometimes makes outsiders & new comers feel unwelcome :frowning:

I’ll respond by saying its all relative. My initial thought has always been if GM was shipped to Europe he would have never been as successful. I don’t know many Europeans riders who takes him seriously. Funny then that as I thought that a German Rider posted what seems to me a very honest response.

Growing up I viewed GM as having chauvinistic tendencies such as his endless references made to heavier riders & fat comments towards riders. LOL. Like there has never been a successful heavier built Grand Prix rider Hahaha RIGHT ? From this standpoint alone I never understood his popularity. From money & a political point of view I get it. He’s always had his solid bench of support to fund & protect him.

I think his training methods is based on Old School Bully mentality … actually paying someone to call me stupid ? Never on my dollar. In my book Stupid is shish-kabobbing a horse on the end of a metal pole, but we all have different opinions of stupid. I would never teach (disrespect) anyone by calling them stupid, nor would I pay for the education.

In his younger years of success I think you will find that the requirements of his won classes are much different from today standards. I agree to the comment he is a very stiff rider & IMO translate to stiff horses. Stiffness maybe considered a handicap in some circles ? The courses are bigger & more technical today in comparison to yesteryear. The use of OTTB in edition to interesting (Coketails/Cocktails) used for maintenance in old day competition would never fly today. The OTTB is no longer the only choice w/influx of warmbloods :slight_smile: & training “methods/choices” have “grown/changed” since those days. Competitions & training of today are on a more international level, the requirements & standards also more difficult.

I think we would of had greater success in past olympics w/a different Chef in the kitchen. Its sad to see SOME of our best riders never participate or even eventually leave the sport due to politics. Sad as seeing Big Brown break down on the racetrack :’(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynJcSnLSI4

I also think it’s really cute that a few of the posters with more posts are logging out of their troll form and into their regular form to support themselves.

Troll, troll, troll your boat gently down the stream.

[QUOTE=A3dayeventer2009;7896421]
I audited a clinic of his where he proceeded to have the riders beat their horses to show him “how they would use a stick”, and no I am not talking gentle taps. One rider would not hit her horse very hard and first and he kept telling her “no, again, harder” until the horses were all wild eyed, confused, and really amped up. It was ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I find this interesting, because although I know that while his lesson on educating a horse to the stick is a part of, I would daresay, every clinic he teaches, I had a very different experience in both clinics I rode in under him.

In both, he set up a liverpool tarp on the ground, and instructed riders to trot up, halt, and use the crop on their horse. He did make a few riders hit their horses if he felt that the first smack wasn’t enough. I rode the same Holsteiner/TB hunter mare in both clinics and had the same experience both times. She had been jumping well and going forward prior to this exercise, so both times (and using nearly the same wording), he said something to the effect of, “This mare is keen, forward and brave. She doesn’t need this exercise like the others do. Just trot up and jump.” Both times, he was very willing to tailor the exercise to suit the horses in front of him, and in no way encouraged anyone to “abuse” their horse needlessly. In fact, he was very adamant that while the horse must hold up their end of the deal with regards to obedience and ridability, the rider MUST be fair and kind to the horse at all times.

I say this in nearly every GM-bashing post that comes up - it is interesting how many of the nay-sayers are people who haven’t ridden with him, and quite often haven’t even audited a clinic either. I think a lot of people hear the “big fish” stories that spiral off from comments he makes, which are quite often exaggerated and repeated out of context. I found him to have a dry sense of humour, certainly, but to be honest, encouraging, and truly pleased when his riders got the concept he was trying to drive home.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7896577]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynJcSnLSI4

I also think it’s really cute that a few of the posters with more posts are logging out of their troll form and into their regular form to support themselves.[/QUOTE]

I miss the trolls of yester year. Do you think there’s any chance of getting NP to come back? It’s trainwreck season and all…