Unlimited access >

Am I the only one who thinks George Morris is a bad rider?

I think he’s a great horseman and has contributed greatly to our sport. But the man needs to retire! No I did not ride in a clinic but I have audited and he’s just getting mean! He sets you up for exercises and if you screw up, instead of giving advice he just insults you for not getting it right the first time (with little to no instruction in the first place)

Maybe he was just having a bad weekend, but it would be hard for to justify paying that much for basically listening to him call you an idiot for not being perfect and then ranting about the current state of the sport. (Lots of ranting about how stupid we are for importing horses an what not)

I can’t wait to audit the horse mastership clinic here in a couple weeks. Love me some GHM.

Ummm…he DID get shipped off to Europe. He was on EIGHT winning Nations Cup teams. In Europe. Not to mention winning quite a few HUGE European classes himself.

And our team won the gold in 2008 under his watch and team and individual silver at WEG in 2006, not to mention snagging Nations Cups and the like. I’m not REALLY sure how much more success you are expecting out of our teams. I kinda get the feeling that some riders may need to educate themselves on our old school masters. And maybe realize that a lot of the old school stuff is still very much in line with today’s needs.

If you need clarification, here is his bio on the USHJA website.

He is not for everyone. He is tough as nails (though he has mellowed in his old age), and demands precision from his horses and riders. He also has a wicked, sarcastic, and very, very dry sense of humor that is often lost on a lot of people.

As for his riding, the man is almost 77 years old, yet still gladly gets on strange horses AND IMPROVES them. I’m sure he’d like to ride more like his former, younger self, but he still can get the job done.

It’s fine if you don’t like him or his teaching style. But before getting his resume ALL wrong, maybe you should educate yourself some.

[QUOTE=CaitlinandTheBay;7896855]
I miss the trolls of yester year. Do you think there’s any chance of getting NP to come back? It’s trainwreck season and all…[/QUOTE]
I feel like COTH and the Internet in general have reached a milestone when people can say “Back in MY day, trolls were [insert adjective here]…”

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7896899]
I feel like COTH and the Internet in general have reached a milestone when people can say “Back in MY day, trolls were [insert adjective here]…”[/QUOTE]
Right??

Who was NP? There have been a lot of trolls over the years.

[QUOTE=MHM;7896904]
Right??

Who was NP? There have been a lot of trolls over the years.[/QUOTE]

NP is Nick Peronace from some massive trainwrecks last (?) year on the Dressage forum. He was “literally a pillar” in his community. Gold.

I believe he is an effective rider but he is an ugly rider. I don’t like that. I like a pretty, neat, effective rider. I don’t like watching him ride.

MHM, if you have not read the NP thread on the Dressage forum, you need to - with a drink.

[QUOTE=CaitlinandTheBay;7896855]
I miss the trolls of yester year. Do you think there’s any chance of getting NP to come back? It’s trainwreck season and all…[/QUOTE]

He gave up dressage. So no dice.

[QUOTE=Faith;7896956]
I believe he is an effective rider but he is an ugly rider. I don’t like that. I like a pretty, neat, effective rider. I don’t like watching him ride.[/QUOTE]

He’s also really old. I’m sure he was much ‘prettier’ when he was 20. At this point, I’m sure he relies more on skill and balance rather than strength, which will make anyone a less ‘pretty’ rider.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7896959]
MHM, if you have not read the NP thread on the Dressage forum, you need to - with a drink.[/QUOTE]
Epic. I thought some light reading before bed one night would help me fall asleep, but I ended up reading that until 3:00 a.m.!
*I wish we had icons for different drinks to pair with train wreck threads. That one is best with a glass of bourbon, I think.

LOL, got banned from one Forum and here you are again starting again on another. Could you have a more entertaining thread next time please.

[QUOTE=PonyTales;7896566]
Its not right to negate the rights of others to an open discussion of a matter in the present time. To Instead be constantly dismissed, bullied or referred to old threads. <edited by removing additional text> [/QUOTE]

Responding to the above because I did reference an old thread talking about a clinic experience I had watching GM.

Often referencing old threads can be a part of some questions answered.

Given the opinion the Original Poster wrote on the thread I started in 2010 it doesn’t appear she is looking to change her mind about her thoughts on George Morris.

I participate on COTH because I like to be part of discussions where I can learn or offer thoughts. Simply all I was doing here. Hopefully the Original Poster will gain the information she was searching for.

[QUOTE=Big_Grey_hunter;7896978]
He’s also really old. I’m sure he was much ‘prettier’ when he was 20. At this point, I’m sure he relies more on skill and balance rather than strength, which will make anyone a less ‘pretty’ rider.[/QUOTE]

No there are many beautiful effective riders. He has always been a sloppy looking rider. Young and old. Effective yes. Great trainer, yes. But pretty to look at? No way. There are people just as effective as he is that make it look pretty.

[QUOTE=Faith;7897003]
No there are many beautiful effective riders. He has always been a sloppy looking rider. Young and old. Effective yes. Great trainer, yes. But pretty to look at? No way. There are people just as effective as he is that make it look pretty.[/QUOTE]

Eh… Pretty is as pretty does. I’ll take effective with happy horses over pretty. Honestly, I find pretty has a lot to do with rider conformation rather than skill or effectiveness.

This is how threads like this go.

[QUOTE=Faith;7897003]
No there are many beautiful effective riders. He has always been a sloppy looking rider. Young and old. Effective yes. Great trainer, yes. But pretty to look at? No way. There are people just as effective as he is that make it look pretty.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! That’s why he was one of the youngest MacLay winners ever, right? Right?

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7897009]
This is how threads like this go.[/QUOTE]
This is the only necessary post in this entire thread.

Yellow Britches … What I meant is that I think If he were shipped to Europe (not just sent to show a bit) he would never be glorified there like he is here in the states.

I’m not impressed by Olympics or team medals in conversion its equivalent to the Kentucky derby ~IMO. Not necessarily always the best horse or riders representatives of any country. Always too political for my taste ~ is my only lasting impression of the Olympics. Regardless if its your candy enjoy

I think GM would be the first to admit he was a stiff rider & not the most natural rider. He would probable confess to be a better teacher than rider … I may have borrowed that from a GM interview ?

Not sure if I get the point of this thread… Why is it important to think about GM qualities as a rider?? He has proved to be successful with his style of riding (what ever that is, I confess I have no idea) and now he is pretty old, but he is obviously still riding, which is great… Why is it important whether he is a good rider or not??