Unlimited access >

An absent BB'er checks in, bring curb chain and thank Sister Louise and Sister Heidi

Well it seems having just read Heidi’s “family” thread and Louise mentioning the missing BB’ers, I will now share what I have been going through. Haven’t known how to break it.

I really haven’t been posting much since November. DeeDee(Dublin) picked up on it around Christmas. I was diagnosed with stomach cancer the first of November. I had surgery the latter of November. It turned out to NOT be a surgical situation. I have been going to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale once a month for chemo therapy. Going Feb 11 for the third go round. Chemo has NOT been awful, few side effects, did lose the hair last week though.

So much for the bad news. Here is the good news. I really feel very good. I get winded, but I am in no pain and not on any pain medication. I am working about 3 days a week as I feel like it. But the best part is I AM STILL RIDING.

My horse is the most wonderful guy. After standing around for weeks at a time, and I yank him out, tack him up and away we go. Of course both of us can’t trot more than two 20 meter circles in a row without getting winded, so it works out great. The best part is when I am up on Bud, I am not sick. It is the best therapy of all.

I am on oxygen when I do anything that is exerting (so far housework is not on my list). So I made them give me the really small portable tanks and rigged a backpack so I could ride with it. We have our priorities after all. After Bud got used to the entire racket from the zipper pulls and the fabric going swish swish, he was fine with it. I am engineering some sort of cantle bag now for my dressage saddle for the canister. I tried it on my western saddle like a bedroll and it worked great. I just can’t get that hulky saddle on my 17 hand horse by myself. (see attached pictures from last Sunday)

My husband is a saint. He has been there every minute for me. Even took delivery on my special ordered Trail-et horse trailer in December. We have only used it once, but it is the greatest. I am looking forward to many more trips in it!

So gang that is where I have been. I thank God for every day I have that is pain free and I am up and at’em.

And if I may be just a tad philosophical, I might add; kiddos don’t take a day for granted. The prognosis is not real good but I am only 51, and by God I am not done yet. I have many more people to terrorize, don’tcha know.

And to LordHelpus(Pam) I would love to hear from you again. I will try to find your email. Small world huh?

Hugs to all of you, Kath
My email is on my profile if anyone is interested in mailing.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

I’m sorry to hear all you have been going through. I hope you continue to do well! Your attitude is amazing, and that is what will help you most through this tough time. That and the horses. They really are amazing. Best wishes to you in your continued therapy. Keep that positive outlook!

Oh my goodness! I did notice you weren’t here, but I figured you were zipping around here and yonder with your new Trail-et! Wow, you are an awesomely strong person to be dealing with things the way you are. {{{{big hugs}}} to you, and God speed on your recovery!

my best to you

Cactuskate, I am sending good thoughts your way.

“What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?”

Handsome woman, beautiful horse, wonderful engineering on the rocket pack! You are an inspiration to us all.

Running out to buy a curb chain, will jingle everything else in the mean time.

You are an inspirational, brave woman! God bless you, and if it’s any help, I’m thinking of you and how admirably you are confronting this. You go, girl!

…I’m looking into my crystal ball and I see many trips with you and the horses in your new trailer.

“You just keep thinkin’, Butch. That’s what you’re good at.” – The Sundance Kid

Always,
FairWeather
"Just call me mint jelly cuz i’m on the lamb!–Grandpa
http://www.fairweather-farm.com

Words may fail
To express the heart
The feelings deep
Just expressed in part

Words fall short
Of what could be said
Of her grace and wit
and the life she led

How fine a gift
She bequeathed to all
As she rode erect
And refused to fall

She let us see
What it means to “be”
Claiming every day
As a victory

No words suffice
That can best relate
What she gives us, still–
Ride on, Cactuskate…!

Oh Cactus, I am so very sorry… We have those proverbial curbs, jingling and jangling for you. And prayers too!

[B]{{{{{{{{{{GIANT HUG}}}}}}}}}[/B]

We’re all very glad to see your post. So, don’t stop come here when you can. Glad your wonderful horse is there. It truly is amazing how they know and sense whats going on in our lives…

thrilled to hear you are coping well. Love your O2 tank backpack idea. Keep up the good spirits and may you have a complete and uneventful recovery.

As for loosing your hair with the chemo, just remember:

God only made a few perfect heads. The rest he put hair on.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS, HUGS, HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

Curb chains jangling very loudly.

msj

Flat with caliche dirt, Aluminum fencing and desert mountains in the background. But we love the desert. That is some getup there on your back. Your horse is such a saint to help you get better.

Adding my prayers to the list Cactuskate!

Cactuskate, I too send my best wishes. You, along with Lord Helpus and ReginaPony, have demonstrated great strength in the face of adversity.

Give your supportive husband and Bud a smile and a nice pat for being so helpful to you. Who’d believe Bud would just settle into the new equipment being lifted onto his back? It’s amazing how you figured out a new and innovative way to cart the oxygen around while riding.

{{{{{{{{{Lots of Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Cheers, Maggi

and you deserve to hear it a million more. Your strength and bravery are outstanding, remarkable, and to be commended.

Best wishes and good thoughts for your speedy recovery

–Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FairWeather:

Always,
FairWeather
http://www.fairweather-farm.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since not everyone reads all threads…

This was bumped because CactusKate passed away this past weekend. There is another thread on this.

Wow, EquiMom! I hope we can use your poem in our tribute in the COTH, if given permission from her husband! That was absolutely wonderful!

Reginapony - I’ve been thinking about you and have been wondering how you’ve been doing.

Firstly, I must explain that we were inspired by many ‘prior’ Kates when we named our daughter - Kate Hepburn, Kate Millett, Kate Morgan (one of my woman’s studies profs in university); and I’m going to add you to the list. Kate is a damned fine name for a damned fine strong woman. I hope my daughter lives up to her namesake(s).

I am thankful (!!!) that you are now okay. And now that I know what kept you away, I’m feeling rather verklempt.

One of my best friends suffered through breast cancer a couple of years ago – and within months of radiation therapy the girl was back on her horse jumping a modified GP course. We horsewomen are made of different stuff, eh?

Kudos to you darling Cactuskate (and to PamM) for grasping the joy that you know – and thoroughly revelling in it. You serve as an inspiration to us all.

BTW, I love Bud. He’s a chestnut - my favourite kinda horse! BTW, I read in his eyes a desire to take a road trip to visit his half sister Heidi in Canada…

[This message was edited by Heidi on Feb. 06, 2002 at 12:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Heidi on Feb. 06, 2002 at 12:00 AM.]

Stay strong…we’re all pulling for you. Thanks for letting us know

Always,
FairWeather
http://www.fairweather-farm.com

Best of luck, Cactuskate. Not taking things for granted is SO important. Within the past six months, not one but BOTH of my parents were diagnosed with different cancers (is there something in the air in NY or what???). Amazingly enough, they are both doing well now. It certainly makes you look at things differently! Anyway, they both had the same great attitude as you and I have no doubt that you’ll pull through just fine!

Keep us updated and I really hope you’re feeling fine again soon.