Unlimited access >

And the New Grown Up Horsie Book Recommendations Are???

Julie Crone-‘Riding for my Life’ Sorry if the book title is wrong but I think that is the name of it. I read this book about 6 years ago and it was very good.

All of Rita Mae Brown’s books are great, they fiction as well as mysteries so look in both spots in your library.

For Foxhunting fans, “Lure of the Chase” by Michael Sinclair-Smith. You will BELIEVE you are hunting in Ireland and the jumps will feel VERY VERY BIG. Also, his "Rider with the Little Bugle and “Don’t Trample the Dogs” are hysterical reminisences of the parties of Americans (solicited through ads in the COTH!) he took hunting in Ireland.

For everybody: Vet in Downland, Vet in the Vale, and Vet in the Paddock by David Dawson. Like Herriot, but strictly horses, much funnier and slightly more risque. The humor comes from following this young vet and listening to him make pronouncements that you just KNOW are going to land him in trouble, because you’ve owned horses like these, sold horses like these or know folks who have.

Dee, last time I saw Jody, which was just before her third book came out, she was not getting along with her publisher. I figured I’d check before I answered this to see if she wanted to say something but the email address I had is old, and she’s no longer a member of Sisters in Crime or Mystery Writers of America (this is not a good sign.) All I can say is, tough as it is to get published, it’s even tougher to stay that way.

I didn’t like Outfoxed much. I didn’t notice the inconsistances, but I wasn’t found of the talking animals. I love Riding Shotgun though!

I’ve just finished reading all of Rita Mae Brown’s books, ETBW. I’m going through withdrawal. Thank heaven I’ve only read 3 Dick Francis books so far.

Whole series of books by John Francome, mysteries a la Dick Francis. Francome also an ex-jock in England, some titles, Stud Poker, Outsider, Break Neck.

If anyone likes science fiction or fantasy, I read one recently called the Beserker’s Horse, by Lisa Maxwell. It starts out good but gets sorta formula toward the end, still, generally somewhat different from most horse books. I also read a pretty good mystery set on a Quarter Horse ranch in Arizona but the title slips my mind right now. I also liked St. Mawr, a D.H. Lawrence novella.

If you have a Borders in your neck of the woods go armed with titles and authors from this thread and they can look it up, find it in the store or order it.

Merry, I’ll buy it and you’ll please sign it! And I’ll buy it for all my friends, too.

Those Rita Mae Brown books are great, but “Horse Heaven” did have some weepy moments in it. I was reading it on a trip last year (took my parents to Holland - it was time I could finally do the Good Daughter thing), and my mom came rushing into my hotel room wondering what was wrong when I was just howling with tears.

I should post a list Monday after trolling through the newbies from the last year.

Someone suggested “French Relations” last year. Fiona someone. Got that, got the sequel, got all of her others. Brilliant. Jilly Cooper does three day eventing kind of.

i liked “keeneland.” i forget the author, it came out relatively recently. novel about a woman exercise rider at the racetrack… not light, but very engaging.

The two that jumped out at me-
When the main character is laying out her clothes the night before the opening hunt, a top hat is described in some detail. But in the hunt istelf, she is wearing a hunt cap (as you would expect for the master). I kept trying to figure out if it was a clue.

The other one had to do with the rich outsider. In one section his was described as being involved in a local real estate deal that went bad “20 years ago”, but elswhere it say he moved into the area “7 years ago”. Yes, it is POSSIBLE for him to have been involved in the real estae deal before he lived in the area, but it isn’t plausible. AGain, I kept trying to figure out if it was some sort of clue.

…but my favorite books are still the Harry Potter books. They are a good read

I’ve got a few…

Someone a few weeks ago recommended Princess Anne’s “Riding Through My Life.” She takes a very laid back look at her equestrian career and it’s really great. Lots of happy, some sad, lots of success and a bit of defeat.

Just started showjumper Harvey Smith’s autobiography last night, which is brilliant. And Pat Smythe’s “Flanagan My Friend” is a scream. I thought my horse was totally nuts, but I think now that he must be related, in some cosmic way, because some of the traits are in both of them.

Found them all on Bookfinder and Bibliofind, plus Abe Books.

All the recommendations in the past year have cost me a fortune - but I thank everyone for them, because I’ve enjoyed everyone’s suggestions and my library has grown to bursting.

So - more, please!!!

At the moment I am reading “Hunting Party” by Elizabeth Moon. Who would’ve thought someone could put hard science fiction with spaceships together with real foxhunting?

Weeble- jane smiley’s Barn Blind was based on a well known real midwestern family. Before my time though, so i dont know how much is based on fact…
I also just finished Outfoxed and loved it!!

LaurieB, that is the PITS! I’ve been waiting for her next one. I am so bummed.

Um, has anyone read the (I think) Carolyn Banks books? One of them is Death by Dressage. They are (obviosly) dressage but they’re kinda cute.

Bump

K.M. Peyton has a new young adult horsey book coming out in March called “Blind Beauty.” I’ve already preordered my copy from Amazon.

Gotta read Horse of a Different Killer, Chesnut Mare, Beware and In Colt Blood by Jody Jaffe. They’re really light reading, they’re hilarious, and she speaks our language! Funny myteries that take place in the A-circuit crowd. VTrider would back me up on this if she didn’t leave work at such an unseemly hour of the day