Unlimited access >

Announcement of Helmet Study Result Release Date

I have not seen the non hybrid one in a tack shop in a while and assumed they were phasing it out in favor of the hybrid as an upgraded replacement.

1 Like

As others said, very much shocked and a little disappointed more MIPS options didnā€™t rank higher. Selfishly, Iā€™m happy with my TV Lynx purchase when looking at the other, lower ranking MIPs options for more $$$.

HOWEVER, and this might be a hot take - I donā€™t think itā€™s necessarily the worst thing that the MIPS helmets arenā€™t all stacked on top (although it is frustrating to shell out the money for something supposedly so much better).

Iā€™m choosing to look at this as: no matter your budget, you can get a safe helmet to protect you and/or your loved ones effectively. We all bitch about how financially out of touch this sport is all day, so frankly, Iā€™m not mad to see top contenders be some of the lower priced options on the market.

Ok - stepping off soap box.

20 Likes

I think itā€™s a conspiracy against those of with oval heads. Does anyone know if any of the top rated ones actually fit a long oval head well?

8 Likes

Do you think itā€™s possible that oval heads are more prone to concussion than round heads for whatever reason? Because that would explain some of the unexpected results.

2 Likes

I wonder if they used just one head form (or whatever they used for testing) on all the helmets. If it tended toward the rounded side perhaps that could impact the results? (E.g., because the round helmets would fit more closely on it than the oval helmets?). But I havenā€™t read any of the details of the testing protocols. And also donā€™t know if all the oval-head fitting helmets really did score at the bottom end or just the one I have!

(Edited to clarify my thoughts a little)

9 Likes

I heard someone say that helmet #2 should raise its prices now. Which I hope doesnā€™t happen.

2 Likes

Does sizing factor into this? The #2 helmet only comes in small, medium, and large, vs #1 that comes in multiple sizes. Would that make it more difficult for the average person to find a more affordable #2 helmet that fits appropriately?

Yes and it drives me nuts, especially since it loosens all the time. Otherwise like the helmet.

Someone on the Dressage forum did mention that MIPS specifically is for rotational falls whereas the study targets a different type of fall but I may be interpreting that incorrectly?

2 Likes

i have an XL (7 1/2 šŸ„²) oval head and my TV Lynx fits well!

i also buy in to the oval head conspiracy though (see my username lmfao)

7 Likes

I was also surprised by the results, and hoping that now they test more of the champion helmets. I have the Champion Ventair skull cap with MIPS, which is the model for oval heads, so Iā€™m hoping it doesnā€™t score lower than the X-Air. I am surprised that the three Charles Owen MIPS helmets scored so poorly, especially considering how well they did in the Folksam testing.

2 Likes

@Xctrygirl A question, because Iā€™m reading in a hurry. Did the VT tests only deal with impact? Because MIPS is designed to achieve movement and that is different. It might explain why MIPS helmets came out came out relatively badly. Good that cheap helmet did well!

3 Likes

So interesting about the IRH - I use to wear one for schooling and always thought it felt so flimsy compared to my Charles Owen Pro helmet.

And MIPS doesnā€™t stop concussive force- itā€™s just a thin piece of plastic. But it allows for some movement to redistribute forces to prevent the shearing action that they say is so bad for the brain.

If helmet A has better shock-absorbing construction and materials than helmet B, adding MIPS to helmet B isnā€™t going to change that. Helmet A will still reduce impact more. Helmet B still offers improved protection than originally with the addition of MIPS from everything I understand.

Personally, Iā€™m glad this study was done but I am a little worried about unintended consequences due to how the results were presented. The results have received a ton of social media attention in a very short time, and reading the comments, there are misconceptions galore. People have oversimplified the results as if they are reading Amazon customer reviews, believing the highest rankings are good and everything else is bad. Wearing even the lowest ranked helmet on the list is SO much better than not wearing a helmet! They are all ASTM approved!

28 Likes

There is actually a post in the FB group that I just read this morning addressing the oval head shape/oval helmet scores.

3 Likes

Very important question - hope to hear some answers from Virginia Tech on this, as most falls have both impact and a rotational element

3 Likes

Well, Iā€™m disappointed that my el-cheapo Tipperary scored better than my OneK w/ MIPS. I still have a Tipperary as a backup helmet - it sits in my climate-controlled house in a closet. Iā€™ll pull it out and make sure itā€™s ok (Iā€™m sure itā€™s older than 5 years now), and plan on getting a new one shortly.

Interesting, and unexpected, results.

1 Like

I read someone saying that now the number 2 helmet should rightfully raise itā€™s price. Iā€™d be disappointed, as safety shouldnā€™t have a price and that wasnā€™t the intent of this study.

4 Likes

Note that all of the Troxel helmets, common for beginners, scored at the bottom of the list. One was so bad it didnā€™t even receive a score.

Something to note for lesson barns - when you give a list of gear to get (or if you have some available for communal use) perhaps steer them away from that brand if possible since thereā€™s helmets in that price range that score much higher.

5 Likes

Long oval head here- a properly fitted helmet, regardless of this rating, would still be more protective than an ill fitting helmet, correct?

Is someone going to do a comparison about the discrepancy of the 2 studies?

I hate to think Iā€™m going to be getting the side-eye from my lower ranked MIPS from the judgey crowd :wink: ( not that I really care )

4 Likes