Unlimited access >

Announcement of Helmet Study Result Release Date

I think it’s totally important to still remember that all of these helmets still meet many of the same safety requirements - meaning that none of them are downright unsafe or bad helmets. Others may just be better. And, a well-fitting helmet will always be a safer choice than one that does not fit well.

That being said, I am quite surprised with the results, especially that many MIPS helmets were ranked lower than their non-MIPS counterparts. And that the relationship between helmet price and ranking is all over the place. Cool stuff, and I’m excited to hear the discussion that comes out of it!

12 Likes

I am really, really surprised by the results. I needed to replace mine (certificate is expired) but was waiting on the study. I have the OneK Avance Widebrim and adore it, was going to upgrade to the MIPS.

After seeing this, I’m going back to IRH. I wore them for YEARS and switched to One K a handful of years ago. I’m an XL long oval and out of the top 15 or so, that’s the best fit option for me! Truly wild how many of the MIPS scored so low…

6 Likes

Surprising results. It looks like MIPS isn’t as safe as it’s cracked up to be. Number 1 helmet $460 Number 2 helmet $58!

8 Likes

I have the MIPs OneK widebrim, and also the CO MyPS. Both at the bottom of the rankings. Will be going back to the CO AYR8 asap.

1 Like

It’s just so disappointing!

Raise your hand if you’ve been personally victimized by Virginia Tech’s lab😅

22 Likes

Hahaha feels a little that way!

This was interesting, too: https://www.uab.edu/news/research/item/13205-uab-researcher-examines-effect-of-equestrian-helmets-on-head-and-neck-injuries

Well shoot. I’m really, really disappointed and a bit angry that my Tipperary Windsor with MIPS is at the bottom of the ratings with only one star.

6 Likes

Wow, these aren’t the results I expected to see at all!

1 Like

It has a removable brim too, which I love for an xc helmet. I think I’m going to give it a try.

I’m a little surprised at the results.
I need to replace my helmet and everyone of the ones I was looking at, did not rate highly, even the MIPS. I’m a long oval, so many of the round helmets don’t fit at all.

Now back to the drawing board. Le sigh….

1 Like

It’s surprising that the top helmet has one concussion less than the #2 helmet.

I too am disappointed. I gave up my favourite Tipperary Sportage in favour of the Trauma Void EQ3 (both are in the top 6 so not bad). If the better rated helmets don’t fit me or aren’t available, I would totally go back given what appears to be a small difference in safety between the two. The Tipperary is more comfortable, lightweight, breathable and cheap.

1 Like

What is the difference between the Tipperary Sportage Hybrid (Non MIPS, rated #5) and the good, "ol Tipperary Sportage. Can anyone say? disappointed that the Tip Windsor did so poorly.

My Trauma Void EQ3 (rated #6) has a funny fit for the harness…feels like it is too far forward under the chin and unless really tight, the harness can slip out from under the chin. Anyone else experience this?

So glad I threw out my Tipperary Sportage, which ranks near the top, in favor of getting a Tipperary Windsor with MIPS /s

7 Likes

The hybrid has the different color vents and overall a sleeker look but I believe it’s just the regular sportage dressed up to look nicer.

1 Like

But is the Sportage the same as the well placed Hybrid Sportage?

That’s the one I had. I haven’t seen a non hybrid sportage in ages. I think they upgraded the model a bit and renamed it.

1 Like

Here is a quote from one of the documents that describes the STAR score. From this paper which is linked on the website under “Technical Documents”: https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/112802

The STAR score thus represents the average number of concussions a rider would likely get using that helmet model if exposed to 30 impacts (6 test configurations x 5) modeled in the lab.

That paper also notes that the scores were normalized (as all data is before meaningful statistal analysis can be performed) and multiplied by 5 to spread the scores. So while this gives us a ranking of how the helmets compare to one another, from my interpretation, this might mean there isn’t as big of a difference between the helmets as appears at first glance. But I’ve only taken a few high level stats classes and it’s been a few years, so I could be missing something here.

A multiplier of 5 was then applied to spread the STAR scores to facilitate interpretation of the relative performance of different helmet models

2 Likes

Do you know what the difference is? On Tipps website they have both the hybrid:

and one that doesn’t say “hybrid”: https://tipperaryequestrian.com/sportage-equestrian-helmet-matte-aubergine-xs

I don’t see much difference in the description/product details.

Any idea?

In the Stateline ad it says something about carbon fiber, although I’m not sure what they’re referring too.

I’d be hesitant to assume that the ratings are relevant even if the models seem pretty similar since it looks like that isn’t the case for some of the other brands.

ETA now I see that on the Tip website the regular Sportage ad says that it has the carbon fiber and the Hybrid one doesn’t so :thinking:

I saw that about the carbon fiber bit.

Both models say:

• Lightweight, high-density ABS shell for optimal impact resistance
  • EPS foam liner for impact absorption

And I would think that this is the most relevant part, but I have no training or expertise in the matter.