Unlimited access >

Another New Horse - It's Bo!

I also rode a giant chestnut appendix in lessons as a kid, although his name was Champ. He was a retired show hunter, super dude. Lots of fun to canter. This guy reminds me of him in SO many ways.

Bo is continuing to perk up. Very enthusiastic at his many mealtimes.

8 Likes

I like Bo. My DH gets naming privileges for the same reason, which is why I have a fancy dressage horse who’s barn name is Potters…

8 Likes

:open_mouth:

In your shoes I’d drop the ‘P’ when hubby isn’t around… hopefully said horse is a sleek dark bay? What’s the story on this name?

2 Likes

Hes a bright Chestnut :slight_smile: His registered name is Pavarotti. His neighbor’s registered name is also Pavarotti. They had dibs on Pavi (and they own the barn, so…)

He had been Potsie before which we both disliked, and he needed a fresh start but needed something similar in tone. So spitballing over a bottle of wine one night, Potters he became. He is a bit of a goof, so it’s fine for him, really!

2 Likes

The man himself…

33 Likes

Awwww!

2 Likes

Poor guy. Bless you for taking him in!:kissing_heart:

ETA: What a sweet face.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Today we are not so interested in the alfalfa pellet mash… just picking at it and shoving it around as though he expects to find something better. :confused: I haven’t changed anything, not a new bag of pellets, same prep. No temp (99.1) although one of his eyes seems a tad goopy today. Manure is normal.

He could use a little jingle or two. I’m not sure he’d be able to handle getting sick on top of his current condition, especially if it causes a lack of appetite. Glad for the vet appointment Monday morning.

I gave him a chunk off the softest alfalfa flake I could find, which he seemed interested in but I know he can’t swallow. If he continues to refuse his alfalfa pellets, much as I’d rather not I suppose we will try a tiny portion of TC Sr mash.

15 Likes

Big fat jingles. I know my boy doesn’t get thrilled for alfalfa-only mash. Mixing some grain or sweets usually helps. Hoping for good news Monday and that Bo is bright and chipper for his appointment.

I wonder if you have abscessed teeth. I bought a mare that was pulled out of an auction. Seller said she needed her teeth done. That turned out to be a shattered, accessed jaw and half of a rotten tooth. Fortunately it hadn’t gotten into the sinus yet.

1 Like

Jingles for Bo!

Several at our barn will refuse to eat if it’s too thin so hopefully it’s just a textural issue that can be sorted out. Several would rather eat it dry but they have histories of choke so it’s a balancing act.

Maybe a handful of Sr with the alfalfa pellets? Just a thought.

Hope he perks up before the vet appointment.

Do you have any applesauce??

I do not have any experience in refeeding a very skinny horse, but perhaps sugarfree applesauce will do the trick? or maybe a bloop of honey if sugar is ok.

@beowulf @rubygirl1968 he’s been enthusiastically eating his plain alfalfa mash the last 4 days, today he just seems …punky. He’s out there picking at it right now, so at least he has a little appetite. I did throw a handful of dry TC Sr in with the last meal, but I don’t think it was enough to significantly change his opinion.

@Sdel it’s possible, something is definitely keeping him from properly masticating any grass or hay. I’m impatiently waiting for the vet exam. I don’t smell any eau-de-abscess but it could be brewing.

@MunchingonHay this is a tricky situation since I have no idea what or how much he was being fed by the trader that brought him in, he just said he is ‘back on regular food’ (but obvs can’t eat hay, sooo…). Keeping the dangers of refeeding syndrome in mind I’m trying to follow somewhat close to the UC Davis refeeding protocol, but if he stops eating altogether before Monday I will have to color outside the lines a little.

On a brighter note, I cleaned up the trim on his feet today and he’s such a Good Bo. He knows what the hoof stand is for and was trying to get his foot up there himself.

15 Likes

What a good boy to help you position his feet. :grin:

I hope he feels and eats better tomorrow!!

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear his appetite isn’t good today. Hopefully he’ll perk up again quickly.

I guess I’d try playing with the moisture content in his mash. When I first got my old guy his teeth weren’t in the best shape and if his food was too mushy he felt like it was too much trouble to eat.

1 Like

Good Bo(y)!

Time to break out my four-leaf clovers, lucky rabbit’s foot, and horseshoe for the big red dog.

Jingles to your Bo from my Bo (the OTTB girl in my profile pic) and Rosie!

Rosie would like Bo to know that soaked alfalfa pellets are gross and she doesn’t blame him for not wolfing them down today.

2 Likes

He might just need a good float. If he has some very sharp points chewing might be painful.

3 Likes

Sorry if you already mentioned, are you keeping track of his vitals, temperature, is he running a fever, not surprising if he came from a sale or dealer, heart rate and respiration?
That will help the vet.

2 Likes

Do you have any rice bran? Thats what makes my alfalfa pellets boy luck his plate. It doesn’t take much.

Jingles for Bo…

1 Like