Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

A bit more detail

Effective Sept. 30, points from any race in the “Road to the Kentucky Derby” will not be awarded to any horse trained by any individual who is suspended from racing in the 2022 Kentucky Derby.

A Churchill Downs representative confirmed to Horse Racing Nation that Bob Baffert is the only trainer currently suspended from the 2022 Kentucky Derby.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/2022_Kentucky_Derby_trail_released_no_points_for_suspended_trainers_123?fbclid=IwAR1f6L-xQlWFAVyIsG2l4DeBkTI6fXx2AY2DAfNqhfEKXfMq_rPEgUcuVSA

This helps me feel more positive. (This also applies to the Oaks).

Song of Bernadette 20 (the colt) is co-owned with Bridlewood.

Who Runs the World (the filly) is co-owned with Spendthrift.

Although the Fasig Select Six will be running in the Derby/Oaks in 2023 and I’m not sure we know the state of Mr Baffert two years from now (ie, will he also be suspended from running the Derby/Oaks in 2024? Will the points limitations be applicable for next year’s 2YO KD points races?

I want to like him as a trainer but I just can’t.

We’ll have to wait and see what Kentucky does when they finally make a decision about the Derby. If Medina Spirit is disqualified, Churchill Downs may punish Baffert with a longer suspension or a ban. CD doesn’t want a cloud hanging over the Derby again.

1 Like

I don’t see MRH sending horses to BB simply because of the SEC oversight. I believe you were the one who first suggested that the MRH principals probably don’t want to end up having to explain to the SEC why they’re sending stock to a trainer with a questionable reputation.

Unless that trainer of ‘questionable reputation’ gets cleared of all ‘charges’.

It concerns me that there are horses with trainer TBD… why don’t they have a trainer lined up yet? Both horses are co-owned so there shouldn’t be an issue with naming a trainer… even in SoCal.

I have until my early access window to decide :slight_smile:

I think if BB get cleared of everything, harder for the SEC to think he’s a known problem.

I’m not understanding why the SEC would care who trains the horses. What am I missing?

I don’t find the TBD trainer part odd at all, but I do think it’s a valid concern they will use Baffert again if this all blows over and he’s back to business as usual.

I suspect SEC may care if the trainer which is under the security umbrella is shown to have known issues potentially impacting the value of the security. We all know racing is a risk but if one of the components of the security is a “known” risk, my guess (and only a guess) SEC may not approve.

FWIW, the first time I saw trainer TBD was with the colt known now as Iron Works was still being offered for sale (shares) and the Baffert sh*t hit the fan. MRH pulled the horses who were completely sold and put most(all?) of them with Mandella. Iron Works went from Baffert to TBD to Pletcher. All the previous offerings I’ve seen have had a trainer/circuit identified at the time of the offering (it’s part of the Offering information filed with SEC). As well, different trainers could potentially influence value, not of the share price but increase in value over the lifetime ownership of the investment/horse.

1 Like

FWIW, dug this up from another horse that was on the road to Baffert and is now in Mandella’s barn. There is some level of fiduciary responsibility that MRH owes to the share holders.

The trainer’s name is part of the Offering and I do look at who it is.

Over the past several days we have been in talks with Spendthrift Farm and we have decided that based on the current uncertainty of the Bob Baffert situation, as a fiduciary to our owners, we will move the horses currently in training with Bob Baffert to Richard Mandella. The three horses that will be moved are Laforgia, Forbidden Kingdom, and Infinite Empire.

Since we’re all watching the Keeneland Sale, a couple fun notes:

Hip 29 is a full brother to Man Among Men, sold to Coolmore for $400,000.

Hip 80 is a half sister to Frosted Oats, by Hard Spun, RNA for $115,000.

1 Like

Man Among Men hasn’t started a race yet; been dealing with unsoundness issues and currently farm layup. He not an inexpensive share price either.

Frosted Oats. Her first two races didn’t impress me. Her morning works yes but not in the afternoon. First race on dirt she got off a bit slow and really appeared to not like the kickback. Second start was turf and she did better but from last year’s KEESEP acquisitions, there are others, IMO, doing better.

Such is horse racing :slight_smile:

Sounds like they’re going to be stopping on Sacred Beauty.

Search Engine heading to a maiden! I admit that I’m pretty excited about him.

Sacred Beauty… not all racehorses want to be racehorses. I hope, if she is retired, she gets a soft landing.

Looking forward to Search Engine’s first race!

3 Likes

Search Engine will be making his first start on Saturday at Churchill Downs, 7f Maidens, Race 4 @ 7:26pm ET.

1 Like

I am, too. He’s looked like one that really does want to be a racehorse, from the footage they’ve posted. It will be interesting to see how he does his first time out.

1 Like

If all goes well, Chasing Time should be up for a race shortly.
He was just shipped into Churchill on Saturday, will train there & is expected to get his first race later this month.

Star Six Nine was just shipped to Turfway, where he’ll continue to train towards his debut.

It’s been more exciting than I expected, watching the (unraced) horses train, learn & grow into themselves.
Fingers crossed all goes as planned for all the up & comers.

3 Likes

Really silly question from someone for whom this is the first time with a horse in a race! It’s easy to find the big races online, but if there is a way for someone (without cable) to see this race?

I’m getting excited about both colts!

1 Like

As someone who used to personally know the guy behind Commonwealth Racing - I’ll pass, thanks.

Is it a MSW?

You can see replays of the race online, quite often. If you go here https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/race-results and put in the information (track, date, race number) for the race you are looking for they will sometimes have replays.

Otherwise you can sign up at various online sites like TVG to watch some live racing. @Where_sMyWhite can help you with that.

Some track websites will have replays as well. Saratoga did. Don’t know if Churchil does.