Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

Both Search Engine and Frosted Oats (the only two I believe officially entered for Saturday) are both in MSW.

Frosted Oats is at Belmont, Race 6.

Search Engine is at Churchill Downs, Race 4.

If you are an ‘owner’, MRH will usually have a watch party which is posted on Updates although a few tracks won’t let the feed be broadcast. :roll_eyes:

MRH will also, usually, include where you can watch the race live (what ADW sites, usually) will have the feed. If it is ADW (Advance Deposit Wagering), you sometimes just have to put in a few bucks to open an account and you never have to touch the $$ again.

Who is Commonwealth Racing and why would I care?

2 Likes

A MSW race makes it more likely that BloodHorse will have a replay.

If you don’t care then kindly scroll by my reply. There is no need to be a dick about it. :slight_smile:

I took WMW’s post as a genuine question. :thinking:

2 Likes

If so, then I apologize, but when you put, “why would I care?”, to me, you insinuate that you don’t care. I’m at a point in my life where I just don’t deal with BS from others very well. :slight_smile:

Is Commonwealth racing a co-owner of one of the MRH horses?

Not that I know of. As far as I know, they are partnered exclusively with WinStar.

A) I, at the moment, don’t care because I don’t know what the concern is about Commonwealth. I was curious however. It would have been an opportunity to explain and educate on your part, no?

B) I don’t have said part of the anatomy to which you refer… :joy:

1 Like

Today’s head scratcher for me…

MRH and Spendthrift bought in on an Uncle Mo x Grand Traverse Bay filly.

Last year, MRH together with Stonehaven Steadings bought in on a Malibu Moon x Grand Traverse Bay filly (now named Cornice Traverse). She wasn’t inexpensive IMO ($447/share for .1% equity). Wonder what is so special about Grand Traverse Bay that she warranted a second offering from MRH (I assume must be decent as Spendthrift is part of the partnership).

1 Like

Create an account at TVG.com and watch races online. You don’t have to pay to watch races or keep funds in the account for betting. TVG allows you to select any track, view each race card, and watch live for free. A replay is usually up a while after if you miss the race itself.

I had posted this earlier in the thread - “Commonwealth (WinStar) offered $50 shares in Country Grammer on Thursday. Sold out in 90 minutes. Horse comes up with an ankle injury the next morning. Glad I passed on that one.”

I know horses hurt themselves all the time. The horse had previously been with Baffert. Baffert seems to have higher than normal incidences of promising or successful horses that end up unsound and on layoffs to then be retired. Could have been coincidence with Country Grammer, but the timing on it was enough to put me off looking at any of their other offerings.

1 Like

For every track? I know the TVG I watch via DirecTV does NOT carry all tracks (they are not allowed to). Saratoga I had to resort to FOXSports (usually FS2), the Day At The Races (and I really don’t like the FS talking heads).

As I understand it, even RTN ( Racetrack Television Network) doesn’t always carry every single race even though they say they do.

Of all the sources, TVG carries the most but CDI no, NYRA no.

The ADW sites want your business and they don’t get it if other ADW sites carry the same races as everyone else.

TVG used to carry NYRA and CDI but they haven’t for a few years now. Sometimes, they can carry the undercard races and delay broadcast the race.

I have $5 with TVG but it’s been sitting there for over a year… they say nothing and I say nothing.

Event_Horse, this would make absolute sense.

I just got a survey request from MRH wanting to know, in so many questions, what the different factors were that would attract me to a specific offering. One was trainer.

At the bottom there was an open ended response (like most surveys have). Said I would NOT be interested in any horse that Mr Baffert was the intended trainer. True statement. Happy that the one offering (now closed but was not at the time) was moved from BB to TBD to Pletcher.

Not saying Pletcher is or is not squeaky clean but he, so far hasn’t been caught with multiple contamination issues and doesn’t push the youngsters hard and fast to get them in the gate on the first Saturday in May. I know that’s what many owners want but the more I watch the progression of the young horses that I ‘own’ through MRH, yeah, the KD would be nice, but I’d rather be part owner of a still-sound horse at the end of their 3YO year and maybe even race at 4 (I know, the $$ isn’t always there for that).

2 Likes

I stated the exact same thing in my survey.

It would be interesting to see Country Grammer’s prepurchase exam that was done for the offering and any vet records between the time the offering was approved and the time the shares were made available for sale. But then again, as we know from the Servis case, vets can be… influenced.

1 Like

Did Country Grammer come through a sale? If so, the horse was MRH plus any partners when the gavel fell (pretty much). I would assume that all vet info provided as part of the sale were reviewed prior to buying him at the sale. I doubt any PPE is done prior to the actual offering (ie, after MRH owned the horse).

FWIW, Iron Works (Silverpocketsfull 19) was purchased in partnership with Spendthrift at the OBS 2YO in training sale this year. His offering included the information that he had a P1 chip that would need to be surgically removed. The chip was removed on May 8 and Iron Works is now back in training with Pletcher at Belmont (instead of Baffert at Santa Anita… YAY!)

So MRH will disclose (I think they really have to if it is something they know about). I don’t think they can intentionally not disclose something as that may be (no lawyer here) considered fraud(?).

Having the SEC looking over their shoulder would seem to help keep them on the up and up (or so I may be delusional in believing :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

If you’re in a stupid backasswards hick state like GA where parimutuel wagering isn’t legal, this won’t work, even to just watch the races. :rage:

:frowning:

Although AZ just started allowing wagering over the internet. But, I could open an account and deposit money and just had to call to use the money I deposited. I learned this from 1stBet because some of the MRH work videos are done by XBTV (I think it is). But xbtv lets you create an account just to watch the morning work videos.

In some respects, count your blessings. AZ just started allowing ADW online. OMG… if I hear another DraftKing ad (TV, radio, iHeartradio, I may puke.) TVG has upped their wagering ‘ads’ on football which, to me, is an alien sport.

Try RTN - that isn’t ADW. There is a nominal subscription fee but it might be worth it for you.

Thanks guys, it sounds like there are some options, especially since pari-mutuel is legal here (WA). I’m so excited; it’s been very fun to watch the progression in training. It’s been neat learning about this side of racing, since I’ve only been involved in the OTT part in the past.

I’m hoping to get a share in a few of the yearlings to see the process start even earlier. I’ve been involved in starting horses for many years at this point, so I’d love to see how race trainers go about it.

3 Likes

I don’t necessarily have a concern about Commonwealth, the guy behind it’s name is Chase. I had known Chase long before he got into racing, in fact, racing is actually a recent endeavor for him. Before that he was with saddle seat, then hunter/jumper (I knew him from hunter/jumper). I just dislike the attitude Chase can have. I was a client of his, I had an issue with the barn owners (not Chase) at the time, so I changed barns. Chase had the mentality of talking about clients behind their backs (saying I was a bad rider and such), it didn’t make it to me from other clients that he was talking shit about me behind my back until after I had already made it final that I was no longer interested in the barn (again, barn change was due to owners, not Chase himself), then Chase decided to make it personal and say I was overreacting (with leaving the barn due to rumors he spread. To clarify again, I didn’t leave because of Chase or his rumors - I didn’t even know about his rumors until after I had already finalized the barn change).

I apologize if the story is confusing, I have a disability, so sometimes wording is hard for me. I’m not in contact with others from that time frame any longer, but if I remember correctly, some other clientele had their own issues with him too. Long story short, I could do without the mentality of the founder of Commonwealth. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t care for his attitude, but at the same time, if he has changed since (I would hope he has) that’s great and I wish them the best in their future. There is your answer, since you so kindly asked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has been fun to watch the KEESEP20 babies progress (the first horses I bought in to).

I’ve learned much! Including… these babies don’t do much for a few months after this sale. Then they go to a farm in KY for their backing and early training (they didn’t all go to the same place). At some point, many got sent to FL for more early training… learning the basics including how to trot and canter on the training track.

When they actually got sent to the trainer mentioned in the offering really, really depended on the horse and how quickly they progressed (or not :joy: ). A few got sent to the trainer and then back to one of the farms to grow/mature more. A few, sigh, layups for various ‘injuries’ (the horses being horses part).

MRH is great, IMO, about keeping the owners posted. Even if the horse is chilling at a rehab/layup farm, they’ll send photos or a short video of the horse being turned out. Sometimes a short interview with the exercise rider or assistant trainer or the horse just getting a bath. I’ve had a few short videos of Search Engine napping in his stall. I love these types of videos almost more than the on-the-track ones. Videos of gate training (never thought about it much before and way more involved that I thought but also the slow progress should hopefully lead to a horse that loads in the gate will and breaks smartly.

MRH will try to do Watch Parties for the owners unless the track doesn’t allow the feed for the race (Watch Parties are race only).

3 Likes