Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

And even if they do the surgery, that’s no guarantee. The horse I knew that was diagnosed with it had the surgery, went through rehab and back into work, and ended up having more problems and needing to be put down anyway.

Best case from a dealing with the owners perspective is send him somewhere to “retire” for a year until he’d technically off the owner’s buy-in (isn’t it two years of expenses we’re supposedly covering?) and see what the prognosis is at that time and let him go then.

3 Likes

Ultimately, the shareholders have NO say in what happens to Star Six Nine. MRH does. The microshare holders can talk about surgery or whatever, it is not up to them. Insurance will not pay for surgery so who will? It’s not like this is Seattle Slew where he had value when surgery was done. A nice temperament isn’t ultimately worth much in terms of dollars and cents.

All MRH has to loose is all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over whatever they decide to do.

Insurance already will not pay as the MRH horses have only Mortality, not Loss of Use (which you can’t get on a racehorse).

I think this is a cut your losses as far as MRH is concerned. Dissolve the LLC (however they would do that) and let Star Six Nine disappear in everyone’s memory and hopefully do the right thing by the horse.

4 Likes

I agree. While it’s a sad situation, MRH owners really need to keep in mind that there are things worse than death, even for one so young as Star Six Nine.

He has no concept of death. Better that than the confusion and fear resulting from an increased inability to control his own body. Or breaking a limb when he loses his balance, or going down and finding himself unable to rise.

It sucks but in his case a merciful death is a kindness.

Is it possible that it might not get any worse? I know Wobbler’s is generally a progressive condition, but wondering if there have been exceptions.

3 Likes

Star Six Nine Update
We have received Dr. Jeffrey Berk’s vet report and while we are saddened to report that Star Six Nine will likely never be a riding horse again, we are confident that his retirement from racing is unequivocally the right decision and what is in the best interest for our young horse.

Star Six Nine is being turned out in a paddock at Silver Springs daily where he can enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and green grass. We can assure you that he is in wonderful hands and receiving superior care. Dr. Berk, MyRacehorse and Silver Springs will continue to monitor Star Six Nine closely; with Wobbler’s Syndrome there is a risk of regression.

Regarding next steps: We will watch him closely and seek to determine options there could be for rehoming. Due to his condition, the options are quite limited and much will be determined on how he regresses or progresses these next few weeks/months. Although our main concern now is the welfare of Star Six Nine, our finance team is also working on closing the account for the series and returning any unused funds.
The biggest unknown right now is the insurance. In certain instances, Wobbler’s Syndrome cases are eligible, and our vet and finance team will work with our broker/underwriter to determine eligibility. If he is eligible and the claim is granted, owners will receive their portion of the insurance payout along with the finalized financials for any unused prepaid training expenses and racing expenses. As standard practice within MyRacehorse, finalized financials will be issued around 60 days after retirement. We will continue to report back with updates as we receive them.

2 Likes

Did you watch the video that accompanied the update? You can see he’s NQR behind. I freely admit I’m not reliable at detecting when a horse is off, but I saw it briefly when he reached the middle of the paddock, just a little shuffle of the hind feet before he turned to go visit the camera person.

Yup. I noticed the same thing in the video. When he went to turn he was a bit uncoordinated behind.

It’s definitely out of our hands hand but yes, he isn’t a racehorse candidate. I hope they do the right thing by him going forward. Sounds like they are. With the microshare holders getting removed from the ownership, MRH can stop reporting to the owners at that point and we don’t need to know what happens to him.

2 Likes

I’m not involved (thought it sounds interesting and fun) I was wondering it microshare owners
would possibly get a chance to buy a horse they had a share in when it was ready to retire. This is
assuming the horse is not going into breeding and the microshare owner would be a good/suitable home.

Yep. There is another video from earlier, that also shows him NQR in the hind end .
I don’t remember if it was shared through MRH or by a shareholder that had to visit him & shared to his FB group.

1 Like

I would suggest reading about how the microshares work on the MRH page. The micro shares are good for about two years or the racing career of the horse. Once the horse retires from racing, the LLC is dissolved and the share holders get a piece of any profit (from sale as well as purse monies during the horse’s racing career). The financial pool first pays for all the horse’s racing expenses and the shareholders get what is left.

I suspect that an existing shareholder wouldn’t get any preferential treatment over anyone else once the horse is retired from racing and not going to stud (or no breeding value because they’ve been gelded).

2 Likes

Other than what they might refund that could go into your wallet and then apply to buying new horses, there isn’t a way afaik.

1 Like

We got an update that Magical Ways was at silver springs, but I just can equibase notification that he breezed at Belmont today. I wonder what’s up with that.

My personal guess… Equibase caught the wrong horse in today’s breeze. Do I know this, no. But based on what we were told about Magical Ways along with the video from two days ago, he should not be at Belmont breezing today.

FYI

From about an hour ago on the MRH page

Magical Ways Equibase Error

Please be advised that the workout reported on Magical Ways today, Oct. 22, is a mistake. Magical Ways is still receiving time off at Silver Springs Farm in Kentucky. His last workout that was reported on Oct. 2 is correct.

Sacred Beauty (Classic Empire - Consecrate) was 4th in a $25,000 Maiden Claiming at Golden Gate yesterday.

I just got the word that one of my horses, Kanthari, who was recovering from a knee injury and who was galloping pretty well, is now injured again.

Kanthari “has shown lameness over the past week that we have previously seen him. He was diagnosed on Oct. 19th by Dr. Wes Sutter and presented being off in his right hind and left front. He will ship to Dr. Sutter’s Kentucky Equine Hospital on Monday for further diagnostics.”

I’m thinking she doesn’t want to be a racehorse… sigh.

Chasing Time is expected to be entered in a race on the 31st.
Let there be all treats & no tricks LOL

“Chasing Time Target Race

Chasing Time has been training lights out since his last work and we are excited to announce that he will be targeting a maiden race going six-furlongs on Sunday, October 31st at Churchill Downs with a purse of $120,000.”

image|511x500

3 Likes

What does training lights out mean?

Really well.

Though the race has been chosen for him, Chasing Time isn’t entered yet. CD won’t take those entries until Thursday.

1 Like