Unlimited access >

Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

Bought a couple share in the Not This Time/Race Hunter colt & the Mrs Whistler filly.
So now I own a dozen or so shares in a few of the MRH horses… yay!!

4 Likes

I didn’t do early access on the Race Hunter ‘19 2yo, but hopefully I can buy in once early access is over.

Tomorrow is when the Early Access window closes for the current group of Early Access. Based on other 2YOs under tack offerings, I think you should be all set. (But no guarantees :slight_smile: )

Another MRH owner here! I own a little bit of hair on:
Ari the Adventurer 19
Echo Warrior 19
Wonder Upon a Star 19
Silverpocketsfull 19
Race Hunter 19
Courtisane 19
The Future Stars Bundle:
Lookwhogotlucky
Quantum Theory
Can’t Hush This
Provocateur
Sixtythreecaliber
Sacred Beauty
Above Suspicion
Frosted Oats
Inalattetrouble
Man Among Men
A Mo Raey
Dolce Notte
Infinite Empire
Collusion Illusion

Leased shares on Monomoy Girl and Got Stormy too. I’ve spent $617 and have earned $32.38. :joy: I’m in it for the fun. I’m having a great time living out my dream in a small way.

9 Likes

LOL, how else could one entertain the idea of owning 20 horses!

who is training now?
Seeing that the golden boy is in trouble

1 Like

Mandella got Laforgia, Forbidden Kingdom and Infinite Empire.

The Distorted Humor colt from OBS 2YO April is still TBD. Originally, if the colt had stayed with BB, he would have been on the So Cal circuit. His listing now says circuit and trainer are TBD but based on the following, plenty of time to reach a decision.

On 5/8, the chip was successfully removed by Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, one of the nations leading equine hospitals. Silverpocketsfull '19 will now get 8-10 weeks R&R and then should be ready to begin his training regime. The 2-year-old colt will receive four weeks of stall rest and hand walking followed by 4-6 weeks of paddock turnout before reevaluation by Dr. Berk before returning to light training.

2 Likes

I will not confess how many I ‘own’ :blush: but I guarantee that other than Monomoy Girl or Got Stormy, if I get a win in any race or hit the board in any graded stakes race, you guys will hear about it :smiley: :tada:

4 Likes

I got my share of Race Hunter ‘19. Looking forward to sharing this with y’all.

We will have to start another thread at some point!

Sheesh, I can’t believe I have bought into 4 of their horses at this point. That was not the plan. :rofl:

3 Likes

Four, that’s all??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So you only own microshares in the horse for a year? Can you re-up the next year on the same horse if it’s still racing?

No, when you purchase a share it is a one time fee for the entirety of the horse’s racing career. Some even include breeding rights, depending on the terms.

Although they did offer a 1 year lease on two top horses: Monomoy Girl and Got Stormy. Both mares recently sold at auction for $9.5M and $2M, respectively. Their new connections decided to keep racing them even though the mares are older and would be completely justified headed to the breeding shed at this point. MRH bought in on a 1 year lease on their racing rights. It was a cool opportunity for them to keep their name and their owners attached to horses at the top of the sport.

1 Like

It depends. The racing leases are often only for the year (think Monomoy Girl or Got Stormy).

Others are ownership shares. You don’t own the horse until it is 30 but you own it while it is racing. Depending on the micro-share agreement, you may get additional returns on your investment is the horse ends up being breeding stock or when the horse is retired and sold.

Each agreement tells you exactly what you get and for how long. It includes a breakdown of the financial information including mortality insurance. It tells you the trainer and circuit the horse is being targeted toward.

You don’t usually get to ‘sell’ your shares to someone else, but that is also specified. These micro-share agreements are reviewed and approved by the SEC. No secrets.

If you go to the current Buy page on MRH (not suggesting you buy but there are a number of horses available) if you click ‘View’ you can see the details of the agreement on each horse. If you want one on the track now there is Going to Vegas as well as some acquired at the March and April OBS 2YO in training sales.

That makes more sense, as I would think an ownership share would be long-term, otherwise it would just be a yearly membership or something. Got confused by the wording that I quoted above.

Thanks. Considering I have a 28-year-old warmblood in my back yard, owning a racehorse until it’s 30 wouldn’t be unusual for me, but glad it doesn’t go that long! :smile:

I may stay away from that site, though. Owning part of a racehorse I wouldn’t have to house or feed might be too tempting! :wink:

The MRH FAQ answers many of your questions :slight_smile:

What is fun particularly for the younger horses, is to get photo and videos of their progress at the training facilities and not just formal track works and races.

There is a bit of ‘what is my horse’ doing at times but MRH is also good at keeping owners informed. I also very much like that each horse is treated as an individual and trained according to their individual development. I also liked that for the 2YO in training acquisitions that they were allowed 45-60 days to rest and recover from the push to get ready for the 2YO in training sales. Most will be pointed to mid- to late summer or fall races.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to twist your arm. But for anyone curious:

Most of the purchase prices for 0.01% shares are very reasonable. Most are under $100, with some under $50; less than what you would spend on a nice dinner and a movie. Cheap entertainment that has the potential to provide you with some modest returns.

The best thing MRH has done is make it really, really simple to buy shares of a horse. Racing has never been super accessible to the general public. Even other microshare syndicates have required you to be “in the know” to find them and get started. With MRH, it’s as simple as making an account on their website or downloading the app. I commend them for that!

4 Likes

Depending on the horse, the ones who’s ‘temporary’ name is dam name and birth year, MRH often allows owners to submit name choices which are then reviewed, usually by MRH and Spendthrift, then the top choices are submitted to the owners to vote which name like they like best which is then submitted to the Jockey Club. The ‘winning’ owner gets something (I forget what last time). How cool to have some say in what ‘your’ racehorse’s name is :slight_smile:

Some of the other perks are the potential to get to get into the winner’s circle (no guarantees). MRH share owners are not ‘owners’ with open access to racetrack backstretches but sometimes an opportunity.

1 Like

I just watched the Flatter colt video.

What are the odds the video would catch him dragging his toe at the 1:00 mark during the walk? Anything worrisome about that? Asking because I don’t know.

You all are dangerous, LOL. I ended up buying a single share on three different horses. Happy to be part of the 1.6 oz. Owners Club!

8 Likes

Trust me, you’ll have a blast!!!

Congrats to micro-share racehorse ownership!! :tada:

1 Like