Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

I like how they have the “buy now” option. Like Amazon. Lol.

1 Like

I have to say I’m a little disappointed they are placing new horses with Baffert. When I logged in this morning to check on “my” horses I saw that and my heart sank a bit. Sometimes I end up buying a share based on the trainer more than the horse, honestly.

5 Likes

I feel the same way about Lucas. Lots of “Coach”, grand old man stuff, but the way he over-pushes his horses is, I think, the same as Baffert.

2 Likes

@NeedsAdvil & @Maythehorsebewithme
I get where you both are coming from. I personally dislike BB, but both he & Lukas are the type of trainers that do well with the MRH platform.
They both are very willing to send out updates, have trackside/shed row visits, etc.
Which is something the majority of MRH shareholders want & expect.

Unlike some trainers that are not a good fit for the way MRH works, even if they are good trainers. Cox & Brown are a perfect example.
Neither are willing to talk to the “little people” or give much in the way of updates.
They are also quick to shuffle a horse down to the claiming ranks & be done with it. Which leads to a lot of negative feedback from the MRH masses.

Thank you for explaining, I didn’t realize some of the trainers were less MRH material. Good to know about the others too. Both of my colts are with Lukas which I also wasn’t crazy about but at least he’s not quite as scummy as BB seems to be. I’m a very casual racing fan and not super familiar with most of the players, but it is hard not to know about BB’s issues with drugging etc.

I’d go in on another horse with Mark Glatt, who has Hero Status in his barn.

Some people buy in wanting to go to the track to see their horses run. Baffert and Glatt rarely leave California, so that’s something to consider for someone on the EC. Steve Asmussen moves his string around a bit more.

1 Like

How often do the stars align that you would actually get to go see your horse anyway, other than sitting in the stands and watching like a non-owner? Isn’t there some sort of lottery system if you want to get behind the scenes on race day?

There is, but even if you don’t get in it’s fun to go to the track to catch the race. And sometimes they have owners’ gatherings in one of the rooms, open to all even if you don’t get to go to the barn or the winner’s circle.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

While they do have the lottery for special events, seats, etc. At most tracks, for most races, you can get in the winner’s circle if your horse wins.
MRH also offers behind the scenes, shed row & farm tours all year long at the various tracks & farms.

There has also been lots of general meet ups put together by different shareholders during races.

2 Likes

I’ve been lucky in that I’ve been able to see Miss Sakamoto run twice at Monmouth where we were in the saddling paddock with the trainer and jockey and a number of other micro-share owners. I actually won the lottery 3 times but had to bail once due to a fall from a horse the day before. That being said, DH had gifted me 10 shares in her because she has the same sire as his heart horse. So I had 10 chances to win evey time I entered.

I’m also lucky that I have a lot of vacation days at work and could decide to use one just a few days before. I know not many have that option.

I did buy shares in a horse to gift to relatives in KY in the hopes he’d run at Belterra or Keeneland so they could go and hopefully win that paddock lottery. In his offering it mentioned he was a ‘mid west’ horse and I thought it would be a fun family ‘thing’ as they like horse racing. So far he’s run once and then sent back to grow up a bit more.

3 Likes

We also did a behind the scenes at Saratoga last year which was really fun and did get to go in the paddock even though we didn’t have a share in the horse running. Plus a backside tour and a breakfast and lunch. That trip we saw Cody’s Wish work out and Seize the Gray in his stall.

2 Likes

A lot of the yearlings go to Wavertree in Ocala fl, and they will plan visits usually February-March and it’s very beautiful and very informative. Also quite surreal to be surrounded by baby racehorses. I think I’ve gone 3 times so far, but I may change it up to try a silver springs visit in Kentucky, or maybe Saratoga next year. Ocala is a lovely place to visit in general.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information! I’m still mulling over the idea, but it definitely sounds more appealing if you can do more than just watch the videos online.

1 Like

I have a share in a horse, Incredible, running in Indianapolis in about 30 min. I blocked my work calendar so no one will bother me so I can scream at the TV.

Sad note, a horse clipped heels in the first race and went down. I’m hoping he and jockey are ok.

ETA: Fanduel TV producers said Jockey walked off under his own power. No update on the horse but they generally don’t that I’ve seen on these racing channels.

Good luck!!

1 Like

:frowning: he stumbled and almost went down. He recovered and seemed to get back in stride but then was tailed off. I hope he is not hurt.

Hope he’s ok. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Bad luck for Incredible today.
The 3 came over into him, causing Incredible to clip heels.
He went down to his knees, but somehow managed to stay upright & Burgos managed to stay on.
He ran on for a bit, but then slowed.
The 3 was DQ’d from 5th to last, behind Incredible, for the interference.
No update as of yet, but he seemed to be ok on the way back to the barn according to those on hand.

1 Like

Sounds like he is ok based on an update just a few moments ago and they will continue to monitor him. I hope nothing crops up and he’s not discouraged from racing. :slight_smile:

1 Like