Another Way to buy itty bitty shares in a horse!

One of the reasons I bought into her was the .05% instead of the .05% which is more common for the MRH offerings.

I was wavering between her and the Malibu Moon filly but $447 even for .5% was a bit rich…

A late PS - of the ones I ‘own’ from KeeSep, that have made it to the track (Santa Anita and Saratoga I think) a few gate works, most 3f but one today I think her first 4f work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good a place as any to share :slight_smile:

Got to see a short video today of one of ‘my’ horses (from KeeSep20) get her first gate work at Saratoga.

She was already in the gate with another horse but at the ‘start’, two gate workers manually opened the front gate doors so the two horses could learn how to break when the gates opened. I was thinking… manually opening the gate doors, that’s how they do that. :slight_smile: Made perfect sense and something I had thought of (how on earth do they not traumatize young horses learning to break from the gate when they slam open and the bell rings). Now I know :slight_smile:

Assistant trainer also sounded like he though she did well.

2 Likes

Watched my purchase just being led through the gate both ways, and asked to stand quietly in the gate for a bit.

Also got foal pics

I have only one friend who follows racing. She just bought a share of a horse. We were originally going to buy into the same horse, but mine sold out. Better this way, as we can share our info on each other’s.

This is fun.

3 Likes

The process starts at a training center with the young horses walking past a starting gate. Next they walk through a gate that is open in front and back on their way (or way back) from training. That happens for a month or more, it’s just part of the daily routine. Next, they go in and stand, and when they’re quiet doing that, the back gate is closed and then the front gate. More standing happens, with the horses backed out quietly afterward. Eventually, the gate is opened manually and they walk out. Then they trot out. Then they canter out. You want each step to be slow and easy so they never get nervous or upset about the process. If you saw youngsters breaking from a gate–even one that was opened manually–they are probably already 3-4 months into their gatework.

Very early steps with a pep talk from the trainer :laughing: :

3 Likes

@LaurieB

Thank you!!!

It is, for me, so much fun learning more of the details about how young horses learn to be ‘race horses’.

I know for a well behaved racehorse (not saying poorly behaved means poorly trained) that much positive early work must be done but learning some of the details about the process is so interesting to me.

The video snippets from the training centers were more of the youngsters working in tandem with another horse, not the other ‘details’ like learning all about the starting gate.

I’m always amazed when I watch a race that these large prey willingly (well, mostly anyway) walk into a small enclosed space and then spring out of there when the doors open and the bell rings and the assistant starters and jocks are speaking (yelling?) in loud voices…

2 Likes

Arrggghhh - video link is broken :frowning:

This morning on FB there were some head-on stills of 3 youngsters working on gate schooling.

Looked like the gates were manually opened but the three were loaded with one or two stalls separating them. Looks like they broke at gallop (hard to tell) but with the head-ons you could sure tell why it was a good thing to have the empty stalls between each horse as they definitely didn’t all three break straight out of the gate. Can also really appreciate the skill of the exercise riders working these young horses.

@LaurieB,

This comment today on MRH about one of the youngsters I have share(s) in from KeeSep20…

Lookwhogotlucky has been working on his gate etiquette over the last several weeks while at de Meric. Our 2-year-old colt by Lookin At Lucky has improved while in the gate, and Tristan de Meric believes he should be ready to head north to trainer Steve Asmussen in the next 2-3 weeks.

Made me wonder if he’s on the stinker side of gate training and not the more well behaved side :stuck_out_tongue:

Please no ‘I told you so’s’ but

MRH horses are still just, well, horses who often have the mission of attempting to commit suicide at every opportunity… :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl: :cry:

One ran into the rail at a training center, suffered what sounded to be a pretty catastrophic injury and bled out on the way to the vet hospital.

One has a possible bone bruise and will be further evaluated and diagnosed at Kentucky Equine Hospital.

One spooked at a flock of birds in turnout and suffered a large lac on the inside of her thigh requiring sutures. She’s being brought back slowly so she doesn’t re-open the wound before it heals.

One has possible tendonitis and will be given 60-90 days off with a re-evaluation at 60 days.

Is MRH a scam, no, not really. But their (my?) horses are still horses and creative at the problems they can create for themselves… insert big sigh here.

On the positive side, some of ‘my’ horses are make nice baby step progress at Santa Anita and Saratoga so not all is bad :+1:

Just sitting here being philosophical about horses. Yeah, I’m paying for the vet bills but I’ve already paid for them, no additional expense incurred :blush:

1 Like

I’m sorry @Where_sMyWhite. No “I told you so’s,” but you also know as well as anyone else— that’s horses for you.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a magic way of ending the career of every horse I’m a part of.

2 Likes

Thanks for leaving out the ‘I told you so’. :wink: You are right… horses are horses and this is part of owning them whether it be lock, stock and barrel or micro-shares.

Many years ago my mare in a smallish turnout had the poor taste to get a nasty gash near her eye on a Sunday afternoon :astonished: After-hours vet call + suturing and meds… not on the cheap side. Both the BM and myself walked the turnout (more like dry lot) looking for hair, signs of blood, anything. Nope, nothing. Never did figure out how she did it.

One of my first equine vets was of the opinion that horses were born trying to commit suicide and sometimes it was easy to believe him.

More a shrug (oh, and beating my head against a figurative wall) as I still have healthy horses in my stable (I will not confess to how many however :flushed: )

I’ve got shares in Echo Warrior '19 and got the update on his tendon inflammation last night. He’s only just barely two this month, so a couple-three months off could do him a lot of good in more ways than one.
Yep, they are horses. Really sad about the one who died after going through the rail.

1 Like

I was trying to not name names but yeah, Echo Warrior 19. (Realized I left Monomoy Girl off the list with a few month off for muscle soreness.)

Overall for Echo Warrior 19, I would agree that for any of those 2YO in training horses with the under tack show, that getting a few months off after the sale (which MRH and partners do) is a good thing. For me personally, going at speed for 1-2f early in their 2YO year is asking a lot. Not surprised that at least one, so far, of the crop of 2YO OBS youngsters has shown some minor issues. Sounds like it was caught early and immediate response in terms of diagnosing and strategy. Would I like to see him on the track, yes. Would I really like to see him on the track and not retired, YES.

So I sit here patiently watching the process and plans for my stable and that part is fun. Setbacks are less fun for sure but I’ve had some success already which is even more fun. Has anyone come close to paying for themselves? No, but that’s not why I did this.

Ancient Royalty, I can’t begin to imagine how difficult that must have been for the ex rider, trainer, staff at the training center. The update said they had him on the trailer within 5 minutes of the accident and they couldn’t make it to the vet hospital in time. :cry: That must have been such a helpless feeling to do your best and know that it may not be enough.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in instant gratification (no, I am getting bubkis from MRH other than what is specified in my micro-share agreement :stuck_out_tongue: ) …

Going to Vegas by Goldencents is being targeted for the G1 Gamely Stakes on Monday at Santa Anita. she has a nice track record and she’s still available at $86 for 0.01% (as of when I hit the Reply button). This is an ownership micro-share, not a racing lease micro-share.

I could NOT find any confirmation but if MRH does what they’ve done for other microshare agreements, any purse monies won from the start of the ownership agreement (not when you bought it) will still get credited to your account. She does have a ‘Kicker’ in her agreement so please read and understand that.

I bought into another horse actively racing and back-credited for a few races that she got purse monies for before I bought into her micro-share agreement.

Not in this case for Going to Vegas. For her you only get money from when you buy shares, not from when their ownership started.

Where did you see this as I was not able to find that in any of the documents I looked at.

It was being discussed over on the MRH FB page.
They were answering questions about her specifically.

I am not a member of that group.

I looked at all the legal stuff I could find and didn’t see any mention of when an ‘owner’ might be eligible to receive purse monies distribution. I have a few others (not including Monomoy Girl and Got Stormy) and received purse money distribution for races back to when the LLC was offered (formed?).

I wouldn’t expect to receive purse monies before the offering.

FB groups, to the best of my knowledge, aren’t legal :wink:

But thank you for supplying the source of the information. I might just pop over there (gawd, YAFBG (yet another FB group :slight_smile: ) and see what is being said.

But, even if true, you buy Going to Vegas today or tomorrow, she doesn’t race until Monday …

I view it as a fact that from the time they first struggle to their feet in the foaling stall, most horses are dedicated to finding a way to maim or injure themselves… and hopefully not kill themselves.

I worked on a farm where a mare turned out by herself in a perfectly flat, well maintained, safely fenced grassy paddock managed to find a way to shatter her right femur… with no evidence of any falls or other catastrophic events. I walked by her as I came back from turning another horse out… and she was fine. Ten minutes later when I was driving out to go to the feed store, she was standing there braced in extreme distress with her RH dragging/hanging. :confused:

1 Like

@mommy_peanut

What FB group?
I cruised through the main MRH group and didn’t see any mention of anything other than what I can find in their Updates tab on their website.

How horrible and how frustrating. So sorry for your loss and having to find and deal with this.

And yes, the hope is they don’t kill themselves but sometimes it sure seems like they are trying to.