Anybody have and use a TENS unit?

Does it work? I found this website:

http://www.medicalproductsonline.org/tens-units.html?_s_ref=aqB5068PC&kw=www.medicinenet.com&creative=9240705291&gclid=CJnK_O7WhK0CFYWo4AodlQysCQ

It looks like their prices are reasonable…

TIA for any first-hand experiences :slight_smile:

I have one -

Used it the first time when I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and then again after a car accident left me with 2 bulging discs and a bone spur in my neck.

It was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

Thanks KnKShowmom! How often do you use it, and did you see results immediately, or did it take a few treatments? Which one would you recommend?

My is probably close to 10 years old but looks similiar to the basic model. I got mine from my physical therapist - he used it in my sessions and then suggested I get my own.

IIRC, I used it several times a day in the beginning and then tapered off to as needed as I healed - what are you using it on/for?

Good to hear that they last! :slight_smile:

I hurt pretty much everywhere, but my lower back is the worst offender. (I have VERY tight muscles, bad TMJ, and arthritis), I have tried a wide variety of therapies, and mostly to no avail (but I’m not giving up yet!)

I haven’t used mine for a while but come to think of it, since we haven’t been able to use the hoses, my back is a bit sore so might have to pull mine out and dust it off!

Funny thing is that when the PT first started hooking me up I laughed because my vet used one in the early 80’s on horses with tendon injuries and he swore by it so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try - once again he was right!

:slight_smile:

Yes, the equine therapies are often a step ahead of the human therapies…Did you use it on your back, originally?? What were (are) your pain issues?

Used it on my lower back at first for the stenosis - I had started running after my daughter was born and I wasn’t riding as much and started having extreme pain in my hips and legs which led to the diagnosis. Used to place the pads on either side of my spine.

Used in more on my neck though, and it helped to relieve a lot of the pain and spasms that ran over my shoulder and down my arm. Ended up having my neck injected several times and the pain finally calmed down hence not having used it for a while but before the injections, I placed the pads at the base of my neck/shoulder area.

Thanks, that’s very helpful! Those are some of my main “problem areas” as well. Now to convince my husband that it’s worth the money :wink: (My many and multitudinous expenses WRT therapies in my seemingly futile search for pain relief are not ALL covered by insurance, alas.)

I have a microcurrent unit and use it on myself and my boyfriend for back pain. I also use it on my dressage horse when he has any tightness in his back and neck or puffiness/stiffness in his hind legs. I love it!

Dual purpose! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: My husband and my mare would both benefit. I think I’m sold, now just need to find room in my budget.

I have a TENS/NMES. I use it when my muscle spasms are giving me problems in my upper back, shoulders, and neck.
I have an expensive one that was purchased through a sports medicine doctor.

My sister bought one off Overstock.com and it was WAY less expensive and seems to work just as well!

[QUOTE=blairasb;6811903]
I have a TENS/NMES. I use it when my muscle spasms are giving me problems in my upper back, shoulders, and neck.
I have an expensive one that was purchased through a sports medicine doctor.

My sister bought one off Overstock.com and it was WAY less expensive and seems to work just as well![/QUOTE]

blairasb, I just ordered one from Overstock.com–very reasonably priced, thank you! :slight_smile: Can’t wait for it to get here…

This thread intrigues me because I’ve had one used many times in physio and have thought of buying one for myself but the idea of using it on my horses is particularly interesting.

This is a totally crazy and speculative question but is there any way of using it for the ligaments/tendons in the hoof? You obviously couldn’t put the electrode on the hard part but how about putting one the heel bulb and the other one further up? Of course, you’d have to get the horse to stand still…

I have not used one myself for pain, but I am a labor and delivery nurse and TENS units are becoming popular to deal with labor pain! If they can help that muscle tightening- I think it can help anything.

[QUOTE=Vesper Sparrow;6815306]
This thread intrigues me because I’ve had one used many times in physio and have thought of buying one for myself but the idea of using it on my horses is particularly interesting.

This is a totally crazy and speculative question but is there any way of using it for the ligaments/tendons in the hoof? You obviously couldn’t put the electrode on the hard part but how about putting one the heel bulb and the other one further up? Of course, you’d have to get the horse to stand still…[/QUOTE]

I use a wraparound electrode for the hoof. Works great.

[QUOTE=Tiffani B;6815468]
I use a wraparound electrode for the hoof. Works great.[/QUOTE]

So I guess you just wrap it around the hoof, that’s fantastic, thanks!

I used one and I HATED it. It didn’t help the pain, only made me more tense. I wouldn’t use one on my mares because I think they would get nuerotic being zapped every few seconds. Of course, it depends on the horse, right?

The voltage levels are infinitely adjustable. Did you try turning it down? It should have been relaxing, not made you tense.

[QUOTE=mareslave;6816136]
I used one and I HATED it. It didn’t help the pain, only made me more tense. I wouldn’t use one on my mares because I think they would get nuerotic being zapped every few seconds. Of course, it depends on the horse, right?[/QUOTE]

I use the microcurrent, and it is adjusted properly when it cannot be felt.

It’s also not a sporadic/periodic “zap” but a continuous tingling. When you CAN feel it, it’s not unpleasant.

Horses fall asleep when they are being treated with it.

And Vesper, this is what I use on hooves. http://www.medicalproductsonline.org/mpo-1-5x14-premium-tens-electrodes.html I put the center of it where the leads plug in at the back of the hoof and use some vet wrap to hold the leads upwards along the leg so the horse can’t step on them.

Make sure the horse is damp or use an electrode spray to maximize the flow of the current. Also, if you are having trouble keeping the pads stuck to the horse (especially if it is body clipped) you can use Tensive adhesive to make them stickier. It’s water soluble. You have to use soap and a bit of scrubbing to wash it off but it comes off.