Unlimited access >

Are mares really worth it?

Well welcome to the club,

1 Like

I wanted to say something along these lines, but you said it quite well!

I donā€™t dismiss that mares can have pain or issues related to their cycles or reproductive system. I do think there is the possibility that it is ā€œover diagnosedā€ but I still canā€™t join the club that dismisses that entirely as if it couldnā€™t be a thing at all. Thatā€™s just foolish.

However, if someone blames the mareā€™s hest cycle as a cause of discomfort and misbehavior and puts the mare on Regumate and sees a positive change, then I would think that points to it being a ā€œreproductive issueā€

I will say I only know of Regumate and giving mares other supplements for their heat cycles from this board. Iā€™ve never heard of it here (Germany and the UK) before. Nor do I know anyone thatā€™s giving their mare anything specifically related to ā€œmare issuesā€ This is just my personal experience though. A bit skewed as people mostly post when they have an issue or problem (so itā€™s mentioned more) that needs solving and the population of mare owners on COTH might exceed who Iā€™ve encountered in real life, but I donā€™t think so. Then again I do see a lot of horses obviously uncomfortable or even unsound just ā€œpushed through itā€ because it must be a training issue and the mind set is a bit archaic here.

I also donā€™t like when people project their feelings onto a horse as they donā€™t process things and feel emotion the same way a human does. I think we can accept that animals do feel pain though, and sometimes similar to what a human might feel (the eye poking thing). To not accept that isā€¦strange.

Again, I would deal with it on a case by case basis. Just because I have a mare thatā€™s never needed any pain relief, other meds, or supplements in her life doesnā€™t mean that negates the experience of others. Iā€™m not so arrogant to think that way. Itā€™s close minded, quite frankly. If youā€™ve never had any of these experiences, consider yourself lucky, respect that others are trying to find their way and do best by the horse and stop being derogatory toward them.

If I ever by another horse I am leaning heavily toward a mare because I seem to work better better them. Not sure why. I will say it is a bit harder to find ridden PRE mares, although itā€™s much more common now, as they were typically used for breeding only. So the odds of me ending up with a stallion or gelding were greater when I was shopping for my PRE unless I wanted something not started under saddle. I am seeing a lot more out and about and ridden now though.

6 Likes

The point is not to say that menstrual pain is the SAME as cyclical pain but anyone who has seen an angry, wall-kicking, biting mare in heat turn into her usual self shortly after receiving Banamine can get that heat cycles and menses can make people and horses uncomfortable and that drugs actually work and itā€™s not in our collective female mind.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve never thought to equate a mareā€™s pinned back ears to my menstrual cramps. Just wouldnā€™t occur to me. (come on, you know that mares donā€™t bleed) And the poke in the eye on you is poke in the eye to me concept someone described works fine for pokes in the eye.

When i see/smell a mareā€™s estrous urine and see her trot around, head and tail up, pee and wink her vulva what i see is ā€œBREEEEED ME~!!ā€ Thatā€™s the main estrus-related behavior i observe in my mares. Maybe a mare could be testy with a human if she thinks that person is standing in between her and some stallion somewhereā€¦but if your barn doesnā€™t allow stallions, then this is not whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

My .02,

I have owned many mares, all individual personalities and most were wonderful. Some sensitive, some stoic, some whose behavior was indistinguisable from geldings, INCLUDING a chestnut mare. I also had a chestnut TB mare that was the embodiment of the stereotype, and handling and riding her required tact and diplomacy that she repaid tenfold with spectacular performance. Just like my wonderful, sensitive bay TB gelding. They required exactly the same kind of handling and ride; but the mareā€™s behavior got labeled ā€œmarish.ā€

I believe in segragated turn out 80% of the time. Itā€™s not the mares that are the problem, usually, itā€™s that the geldings get stupid about the mares and constantly challenge the herd dynamic to get closer to the mares. But I have known stable mixed herds that worked perfectly fine. Once again, highly individual to the horses and situation. I have all geldings at the moment because my beloved retired gelding suddenly imagines himself a stallion and a Lothario in the presence of mares and gets super stoopid. When heā€™s over the rainbow bridge Iā€™d certainly consider another mare. For emphasis: my problem with mares currently is THE GELDINGā€™S BEHAVIOR.

I also rode and showed a clientā€™s mare who had genuine pain and distress related to ovulation. She had had a full repro workup and had been bred and had a foal. The poor mare could not be ridden during ovulation, she couldnā€™t tolerate being groomed over her flanks and couldnā€™t tolerate the riderā€™s leg on her side or working at the canter. The owner reported that having her palpated prior to being bred was a nightmare because she was SO sore and in so much pain she threatened to lay down in the palpation chute.

Keeping her on Regumate was a kindness. We tried going through one cycle without it and I was immediately convinced. She was a totally different horse, when, you know, she wasnā€™t in pain.

Do people use Regumate indiscriminately to try to solve behavior problems? Well, sure. But I donā€™t understand the rush to judgement. People also use every supplement under the sun: Moody Mare, Mare Magic, Perfect Prep, Mag Sulphate, GABA, etc., etc. to moderate behavior. Plently of people even use Ace routinely for behavior, which I think is ridiculous, but there it is. And letā€™s not forget the people who attempt to moderate behavior with bigger bits, controlling nosebands, head setting devices and spurs. If giving their mare Regumate makes the owner/rider believe their horse is more managable and calm, I donā€™t have a problem with that. A lot of drugs and supplements given to horses work because of the placebo effect ON THE OWNER. Regumate is fairly benign compared to a lot of the other crap out there. Iā€™d rather see the mare given Regumate than any of the other ā€œsolutionsā€ listed in this paragraph.

14 Likes

This exactly. I didnā€™t say it was the SAME, I said pain during cycles is a real issue for some mares and it is both weird to deny that and not fair to such a mare to deny treatment that would make her comfortable. My mares are not like that but some are.

8 Likes

Mares have other estrogen-producing tissue in their bodies. So a spayed mare can still have behavior related to hormones.

It is interesting that there was not a lot of questioning/commentary about this particular mareā€™s training/living/feeding situation.

10 Likes

I considered suggesting 24/7 turnout, but the OP says sheā€™s in training with a GP trainer so thatā€™s probably not gonna happen.

And I was too annoyed by the question in the threadā€™s title to bother.

6 Likes

IF (letā€™s just say if) a horse is in turnout/shed arenā€™t ā€˜trainersā€™ able to go collect horses? Not like theyā€™re on a hundred acres or anything.

Of course they could.
But a lot donā€™t.

2 Likes

huh. When i was exercising horses i had to go collect them from wherever they were. Sometimes it took some walking! But i was younger then, and hungry for work so i was willing to do anything to get a good ride. Plus there is the humility-factor. I was not ā€˜too goodā€™ to do anything if it came to horses! If i were to train other peopleā€™s horses now, iā€™d charge by the minute to go get one if it routinely took too long. edit: but iā€™d be willing to do it.

In my area 24/7 turnout may not be possible since there is generally not enough land to support it. Land in my area is expensive. This time of year it is muddy. If they are out on it 24/7 the field gets trashed. If they are out 24/7 in the summer they overgraze it. During the height of the summer it too hot and they prefer to be inside with the fans anyway.

It seems to be more common that GP trainers turn horses out as individual turn-out not group turn-out to prevent injuries. So less likely to have run-in sheds as you would need more of them.
It frequently isnā€™t a matter of going to collect the horse.

I would think it is less likely you will find a GP rider in a truly rural low cost area where land prices are cheap as that would put them far from clients and from shows.

I am also not sure how fair it is if a horse is used to being out 24/7, then goes to a show and expected to be in a stall 24/7 except when being ridden/hand walked for almost week. I think that having them more used to being in a stall a portion of the day may be less stressful and less likely to cause ulcers.

6 Likes

@SonnysMom has the most likely correct reasons - most of the GP trainers I know arenā€™t even the ones grabbing/grooming/tacking their own horses - they have grooms and/or working students.

4 Likes

As someone who has had RBF (resting bitch face) since grade school, Iā€™ve never been terribly bothered by ear pinning. (Unless itā€™s unusual for that particular horse.) Since no one from my barn is on COTH, I can say, that when Iā€™m on the mare I ride, I truthfully appreciate the mare face of death when people ride too close to me in the arena.

That being said, I currently ride a mare and a gelding, and although every horse is an individual, Iā€™ve felt that the mares Iā€™ve ridden tend to pick up any residual stress and tension Iā€™ve had that day (even if it has nothing to do with riding). Iā€™ve also found mare reactivity to be more unpredictable. Iā€™ve known very spooky geldings, but what they will spook at tends to be more expected (as in ā€œhe doesnā€™t like the indoor at nightā€ or ā€œhe hates going over waterā€). And the difficult geldings are, well, predictably difficult about certain things, or everything.

I donā€™t consider the mare I ride complicated, for example, but one winter, she went through a period of spooking very violently at things that had never bothered her before, and one day had a meltdown about a very innocuous-looking table in an arena corner, I couldnā€™t even get on her for the hour, she was so afraid. Almost every mare Iā€™ve ridden has had at least a few rides where I was like, ā€œwhere did that come fromā€? But Iā€™m still riding her, and sheā€™s been fine this winter, with no real change in her routine.

If I was looking for a horse for myself, much as I do like the mare Iā€™m currently on, I would probably prefer a ā€œdonā€™t need to worry about the snow sliding from the indoorā€ gelding. But hey, horses arenā€™t machines, and neither am I, and weā€™re all entitled to an off day. Sensitivity and being eager to please also has its benefits.

3 Likes

and so do males

You appear to be saying here that if removing ovaries does not change behavior, then the behavior is not hormonal.

I am saying that mares have other tissues that produce estrogen, and so hormonal based behaviors can continue even after ovaries are removed.

The other confounding element to throw in here is that the spay procedure can create adhesions, so one source of pain is replaced by another.

5 Likes

Personally Iā€™m not sure itā€™s fair to keep them in stalls 12-22+ hours everyday whether theyā€™re at home or at a show, but thatā€™s been debated a million times over in other threads.

Anecdotally, my already-spooky-mare had no change in her stalled-at-shows behavior after going from being stalled 12+ hours at home to out 24/7 at home, and sheā€™s a heck of a lot happier now at home.

1 Like

Yes, non-ovarian estrogen is produced by body fat, adrenal glands and other tissues (including placenta), but not in large amounts. The estrogen that would be present in a mare without ovaries would be, without some pathology, the same as that in a male. Mares do not have some magic reserve or alternate source of large estrogen amounts.

I would not be surprised to find that mares with no ovaries have lower levels of estrogen than intact males, as the testes produce estrogen. In humans, men can have more estrogen that a postmenopausal woman.

Let me just say that I never used Regumate on my mare when I was showing her. I also boarded her the entire time I was showing her and wasnā€™t aware of much problem behavior. I retired her from showing in 2018 and bought a small farm. When I moved her home, I started seeing the behaviorā€“squealing and kicking walls (for things like not being fed first, or a horse looking at her when she was resting). I then bought some weanling colts and put her on Regumate initially to prevent pregnancy (although I gelded the first colt when he was 9 months old), but then saw the marish behavior diminish and realized it would be safer for all around if I just kept her on Regumate. So I did. I never noticed any difference under saddle. The difference I noticed was: no squatting and peeing, very little squealing and wall kicking. She still does bossy mare things. But the whole time I was showing her, I never knew when she was in season and her back was always pretty soft. What I absolutely dislike about riding a mare, this one and another one I had, was the bossy taking over that you never could predict. I have no idea if that was hormonally related since I didnā€™t have her on Regumate then, but I will say ALL of the geldings I have back right off when you make a correction. My mares, noā€“and even with tact, or light pleading and beggingā€“sometimes you just had to say ā€œNot today, Satanā€ and wave out.

3 Likes

Yes, please to considering the mareā€™s management!

Again, with my dragon/soldier mare. Being boarded, she spent a lot of time being next to horses she didnā€™t dig, not being turned out enough, not being able to touch other horses as she choseā€¦ the list goes on and on.

BOs just wanted her to fit into their program. I wanted mare-head to be in a barn with good care (in a pretty mediocre market), so I tried to be the compliant owner who was willing to fix any problem my animal caused. Tried the repro exam. Even tried Regumate. It made little difference. Requests to switch stalls were surprisingly rebuffed. Thatā€™s weird because it seemed to me to be the least invasive solution. In any case, I moved (across the country) and had her boarded at a nice family farm with 24/7 TO. That was a whole lot better. She finally moved in with a gelding, whom she put right in his place without touching him in 5 minutes, and is now a very happy camper. They lie down together, graze together and like each other. My mare also likes the pony mare who lived across the fence from her and her boyfriend.

What makes me sad is how much of a mareā€™s ā€œproblemā€ comes from her merely having an unsolved problem. Itā€™s not fair to have their 23/7 life be crappy because we canā€™t run our farms in a way that suits them. Rather, we only care about that one hour a day of work. I just think itā€™s (ethically) asking too much of an animal who gets no choice to just suck it up with bad management for so much of their life.

Perhaps we cannot solve every last management problem to a mareā€™s complete satisfaction. But I think we can solve 90% of them if we commit to it. Really, I donā€™t think animals are pissy without cause. Their emotional meter goes back to zero when anger or defensiveness is no longer needed. We should think of ourselves as hotel managers and the animals we keep caged up and working for us as our high-end guests.

12 Likes