Arthritic Riders - What helps you?

So far {knock wood} riding is not an issue.

But my aging knees doth protest at doing barn chores.
Not all the time, but enough to make me whine.
Sitting or standing for any length of time - 1h+ - is a Bad Idea too.

So far OTC naproxen & acetominophen are doing their best, but what RX would knock out the creakiness & general ache?
Any non-drug ideas for increasing comfort would be appreciated too.

Iā€™m also using naproxen and acetaminophen daily for a cranky knee and hip that acts out from time to time. They do a pretty good job, so I havenā€™t pursued any other meds from my physician. What I did do is get a Back on Track mattress pad. I have convinced myself that it does work because I wake up in the morning without the stiffness I used to have.

I use Excedrin Extra strength and prescription Lidoderm pain patches; they are 5% Lidocaine and completely unaffordable without insurance.

howeverrrr, new on the market from Icy Hot, SalonPas, and Aspercreme are 4% Lidocaine patches that are OTC. DH says they work ā€œpretty goodā€; that is husband-speak for he canā€™t tell the difference between the prescription and the non-prescription.

i still use the prescription because the ā€œbackingā€ on those patches is stiffer and easier for me to apply to my lower back, without having a wrinkled pain patch.

i have also been using pure magnesium oil on my knees, hip, and elbow with the torn cartilage. It seems to help, if it isnā€™t helping itā€™s a great placebo!, lol

I think Iā€™ve reached a point where no joints work anymore, so itā€™s a matter of which hurts the most that day and I Forget about everything else, lol

1 Like

Thanks, fellow Creakers :ambivalence:
I may look for those OTC patches for nighttime - getting comfortable in bed is sometimes an effort.
Will also look into the magnesium oil.
Having not opted for Med D yet, anything OTC or RX has to be cheap.
I do have a lovely foam mattress topper sitting unused in the GN of my trailer.
If mice havenā€™t discovered it, perhaps time to relocate to where I sleep most often :cool:

Is marijuana legal where you live, at least medical marijuana? I live in Colorado and have rheumatoid arthritis. I occasionally use a balm with THC in it (THC is the active ingredient in pot). It doesnā€™t help for off the charts pain, which unfortunately can be my reality, but it does help for lower level pain and stiffness.

I have a friend who was visiting from NJ last year, and his knees were driving him nuts due to osteoarthritis. He used my balm and thought it really helped. Of course itā€™s not legal where he lives, so it was just a short term solution for while he was here.

Rebecca

1 Like

Timely thread for me - I was actually going to post a similar question! I just got my X-Rays back, and learned my back pain is caused by osteoarthritis in my lumbar facets and both SI joints.

Standing and sitting still is a problem, but the active swinging of the horseā€™s back is great for my lower back and hips, thank goodness!

Thus far Iā€™ve been using ibuprofen and Aspercreme (the two work great together) and a heating pad. After reading this thread, Iā€™ll replace the ibuprofen with naproxen, as the constant ibuprofen is taking a toll on my stomach.

Has physical therapy helped anyone? I have a doctorā€™s referral, but time is money, etc.

You have heard the old ā€œgrin and bear itā€, I assume?

Well, it is now ā€œgrimace and bear itā€, when it gets to used-up joints.

When getting up, Dr suggestion was, ā€œrun very warm water over stiff joints while gently moving them, see if that helpsā€.
It does to get the day started, you may try it.
Also, donā€™t park yourself too long, then it is harder to get all to move again without a warmup.
I also use knee warmers in the winter, if knees donā€™t get cold, they work better and longer and donā€™t overdo it, measure yourself, donā€™t push it.

1 Like

@Bluey I feel like Iā€™ve finally graduated to the ā€˜Grimace and Bear It Clubā€™. This is my very first age related problem. Do I get a free toaster? or maybe a cake with candles? :smiley:

You get a pair of knee warmers and a tube of Ben Gay liniment.

Bigeloil works on people also and as a bath additive.

Cakes with candles now come in decade candles, you know, those with numbers.
Only way to fit that many there.:wink:

3 Likes

:lol::lol::lol:
Iā€™m actually stopping at Dover today - Iā€™ve now put Bigeloil on my list!

ā€œHappy old age to me, Happy old age to meā€¦ā€

For me, arnica gel. Also A Tylenol if exceptionly achy. Hot showers, heating pad when sitting watching tv etc.

I have RA and am on RX Simponi to manage the disease. For days when I have pain, Salonpas patches work really well! I like the regular ones, I tried the new one with lidocaine and they did absolutely nothing for me.

I use Voltaren gel. Itā€™s a topical NSAID available by prescription. I believe itā€™s the human version of Surpass, which is a topical Equine pain reliever. I also have a stronger topical pain reliever from a compounding pharmacy for really painful days.

I also use voltaren it works well with n joints but not for deeper muscle aches. Safer than ingesting an NSAIDs

2 Likes

In Canada Voltaren gel is over the counter. No script required. Although, someone who has high BP should limit the amount of Voltaren or Naproxen they use as it can affect their BP. When I am out of my Naproxen prescription strength I take two Aleve at a time as needed. Naproxen/Aleve should be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.

I have been extremely sore of late. Likely in the mid of an arthritic attack. My shoulders, hands and wrist joints are so painful. I was still able to get the stalls done but I need to take something now.

More useful info.
Glad I posted as this has cleared up another mystery - since starting the Aleve(naproxen) my BP jumped to 150 systolic. But on a recent visit to my GP it was back to 120 - cannot recall if that was a day I skipped the Aleve, but could be.
Iā€™ll be looking into topicals too - one pharmacist suggested something with capsaicin.
But the Salonpas are not too pricy for a test run.

Re: Bigeloil in the bath < Iā€™d be cautious since I once got an {ahem} interesting reaction to getting some Dr Bonners Peppermint on my ā€œpartsā€ in the shower :eek:

{Gentle Hugs} to all my fellow sufferers.
Getting old sure isnā€™t for sissies!

1 Like

Getting old, however, beats the alternative

4 Likes

Iā€™m on a prescription for my arthritis but also have found taking turmeric has helped a lot. I know itā€™s the ā€œcure du jourā€ but it really has helped.

:lol:

You are supposed to add a bit of Bigeloil to the bath water, it smells good, not bathe in it.:eek:

Any liniment has to be respected, they can and some are supposed to blister a little, so always be careful with those.

A groom at the track was getting a big elbow, so he put Bigeloil on it and wrapped it.
Boy, he really had a chemical type burn on that elbow, that scoffed out, but his elbow went down and was fine after that.

Probably the bursitis was self resolving, Bigeloil or not, but he was convinced that it was his ā€œtreatmentā€ that did it.

@Bluey LOL! Okay, just a drop in the bath. :wink:

@CFFarm I Like turmeric, have to see how many recipes I can sneak it intoā€¦

@Magicboy :cool:

Anyone here tried the HA injections?
Friend with truly bad knees - multiple surgeries/replacements - said they worked for her for years.
Bonus: Medicare covers them every 6mos.