Unlimited access >

Aussie saddles bad for horse's back?

Hi, I’m new here. Been lurking for a while but now I’ve got a question so it’s time to post for the first time. :slight_smile:

I have been seriously considering getting an Aussie saddle for trail/pleasure riding. I have always ridden huntseat, but would like something a bit more secure for the occasional mishap on the trails. I don’t particularly care for western saddles and am looking for something that will provide more security while maintaining a bit of the English saddle feel and contact with the horse. From researching and shopping on-line, and riding in one once or twice, I had been thinking an Aussie saddle would fit the bill well.

However, last week when I mentioned this to my horse’s chiropractor, she had a fit and said whatever I do, don’t get an Aussie saddle because they are horrible for the horse’s back and sit the rider too far back. She wasn’t speaking in particular to my horse and her back, but rather in general.

I had never heard this before, and really don’t know if this is true or if our chiropractor just has an off the wall opinion of these saddles (she’s a die hard huntseat person).

Any thoughts?

I’d be surprised if they sit the rider too far back - I’ve always heard that they’re great for short-backed horses. That’s why I got mine to begin with.

FWIW, I’ve covered hundreds of miles in mine, and had no problems. Of course, a poorly fitting Aussie will cause the same damage as any other poorly fitting saddle, but the reputable sellers will help you make sure your saddle fits correctly.

I have a Aussie for my Tennessee Walking Horse and LOVE it. It is very secure and comfortable to ride in. I ride 4 days a week. In May I did a 5 day trail ride in varied terrain and went over 100 miles. Now that is nothing compared to what the endurance people do, but my horse had NO signs of any soreness from the saddle, and neither did I.

I am sure it is like any other type of saddle - it needs to fit your horse correctly - if it doesn’t there will be problems.

I have been very happy with Down Under Saddle Supply and their customer service has been great. Their site is http://www.downunderweb.com/intro.htm I would contact them and tell them about you and your horse and they will help you make a decision on what might be a good match for you.

Toni

Maybe by saying “sits you too far back” your chiro was meaning that they put you more in a chair seat. I only rode in one once, and hated it because I’m used to a dressage saddle and the Aussie put me into a chair seat.
Judy

I just got rid of my Aussie saddles. My black one was too narrow. My other too wide. When I had my TWH I never had any issues with back soreness or etc.

They do tend to be more inclined that a rider tends to adopt a chair seat. I did find it hard to post the trot.

I have been riding in hubbys rough out western saddle and actually I have been much happier and secure in that. With the rough out seat and fenders I stick like glue. Especially when I ride in breeches.

I liked it on gaited horses… on my Qh not so much.

I just got my first Aussie saddle from Down Under Saddle Company. I second Toni’s opinion; they are GREAT to work with. The horse I bought the saddle for is very hard to fit, plus I have some hip problems. Had no success with english or western saddles on her. So I decided to give the Aussie a try. WOW!! Can I say I LOVE it! It’s the most comfortable seat I’ve ever sat in and once I got the right fit (for me), I have no trouble posting in it. In fact, it reminds me of riding in an All Purpose saddle, but with more saddle.

The first saddle I ordered was WAY too big and I flopped around in the seat like a fish out of water. So I called Down Under, they told me to send it back, and they sent me the next size down. What a difference. When you get one that really fits you, it’s super nice to ride in. The stirrups are set very much in the same place as an AP saddle, so if you’re sitting just right, I can see where it would put you in a chair seat, just like an AP. But if you need to adopt a forward seat for a two-point, posting or a fast canter, it’s no problem and feels just like an english saddle, but with more security and more seat. I love the poley’s too. They don’t get in the way like a cantle and a horn on a western saddle, but they help you stay put.

This saddle fits my horse really, really well. I sent a wither tracing to Down Under so they could adjust the saddle to my horse before they sent it to me and let me tell you, they got it right on! Plus, we spoke on the phone so they could get a good description of her back’s shape. I would guess that a poorly fitting Aussie would indeed cause just as much trouble as a poorly fitting saddle of any style. But if you get one that fits you and the horse, it’s a really nice style of riding if it suits you. I’d say, if you’ve tried it and you like it, then go for it!

I got one to ride my big guy after an accident (confidence building needed!) and my mom has one for our pony. I don’t think they are bad for the horse’s back, but I agree with Judy- I just can’t ride in one. It doesn’t feel secure anymore because my legs aren’t under me.

I don’t think they sit you any further back than a dressage saddle, they just push the legs further forward (ick).

It’s my understanding that are as many “flavors” of Aussie saddles as there are Western saddles. Some are very well made, some are junk. As with any other item of tack, you must first determine if it’s right for you and your horse and then ensure that you get a quality item.

Personally, I don’t like the Aussie style. I’ve never found one that was comfortable for me. Thus I’ve never even bothered to look for good fit for any of my horses. I know a couple of folks who just LOVE theirs. Both, though, cautioned that not all Aussies are the same (in design detail, quality, etc.).

I guess I’d begin by hitting some big tack shops that might have some in stock. Sit in them static in the store and see if you like the seat they put you in (and an Aussie WILL put you in a “seat”). If you like where you feet, legs, and butt are then try it on your horse.

Good luck in your search.

G.

Maybe a Dressage saddle would fit your purposes? I have a Wintec Isabell and LOVE it for trails and schooling. I think its a very versatile saddle. I shorten my stirrups a little and can do up to 3’ jumps too in it!
It has the “equisuede” material and is nice and grippy and secure (no need for full-seat breeches!!) and also has a nice super-deep seat and wider seat area. I also love the set-back stirrups.

I had the same problem with a aussie saddle others on here have stated: Chair seat.

I guess I’m gonna go against the crowd a bit here and disagree with the folks who think aussie saddles as a whole put you in a chair seat. That is totally not the case. A poorly fitting or poorly made aussie? Yep, it sure will put you in a chair seat. But so will ANY kind of saddle! :lol:

I have an Aussie myself, and I have no problem whatsoever finding a classical “Dressage” seat in it. My shoulder-hip-heel line isn’t effected at all. BUT, my saddle fits me, it fits my horse, and I have my stirrups properly adjusted. I think THOSE factors are more to blame for a chair seat than anything else.

To be honest I’m a bit skeptical of a chiro, who is supposed to be an expert on horse backs, that would make such a huge rationalization. That’s like saying all english saddles put you too far back. That’s silly.

Oh, and yes, you do have to post lower in an aussie. But if you’re posting correctly anyways, you shouldn’t be shootin out of the saddle and posting real high. My legs NEVER touch my poleys (the pads that are in front of your thighs), unless I’m going downhill on a large incline, or my mare is bucking… I know from experience. :lol: A properly fitted aussie should allow 0.5 to 1 inch of clearance between the poley and your leg. If it’s touching when in a neutrol position, then either the saddle is too small, or your stirrups are too short.

I would also second (or third!) the thumbs up for DownUnder. I have bought several saddles from them and they are always friendly and knowledgeable. Plus, they have super fast shipping!

Ish…

To the OP, did you ever get an aussie saddle? Please PM me or just send me an email to diamondpr@aol.com if you’re still looking. I tried to PM you, but I kept getting booted off the site every time I tried.

I am an Aussie and I ride in mostly Aussie Stock saddles. They are the BEST! And yes, it obviously depends on which type you get. Having said that, I own a so called “cheap” Indian-made one and have never had any problems either with my horse’s back or myself. A friend of mine is an endurance rider and he has Aussie saddles too. I rode out on an All-Purpose-Saddle for a trail ride the other day and I was so uncomfortable in "funny"places I thought I wouldn’t make it back. And Aussie saddles do not put you in a chair seat. Much like the western saddles for the cowboys, the Aussie saddle was designed for the Australian Stockmen driving cattle. It has to be comfortable and safe. I call it the saddle for REAL riding out in the unpredictable wide world, not for prancing around in an arena. :winkgrin:

Here’s a gorgeous saddle that might work!

I don’t know much about Australian stock saddles, but I’ve noticed that, generally, the ones I’ve seen in tack stores here have been pretty junky - maybe that’s what your chiro has been running into?

But…here’s a trail saddle I’ve been eyeing on Ebay - Forestier is a very good French saddler - at least as good as Antares and all that lot, just not as well known - and the colour, drool…

http://cgi.ebay.com/Forestier-Dynamic-Saddle_W0QQitemZ280252166987QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280252166987&_trkparms=72%3A552|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

I don’t know anything about the seller, but going back over their old listings, it seems as if they’ve taken VERY reasonable offers. :slight_smile:

(and don’t even think about calling me an enabler)

The Australian Saddle, The Aussie Difference
by Mike Bergin, President Down Under Saddle Supply

Of the three major saddle types; Western, English, and Australian, the Australian saddle is probably the least well known. However, for trail riding, endurance riding or ranch work, the Australian saddle is an excellent choice.

The Australian saddle began its popularity in the United States with the release of the movie “The Man from Snowy River” in 1982. Set in Australia, this terrific film has some of the best horseback scenes you will ever see, and all of the riding is done on Australian saddles.

When the English originally settled Australia in 1788, they brought with them horses, saddles, and related tack. The new settlers soon realized that Australia was very different from their homeland, and began changing the design of their equipment to better suit the harsh, unforgiving, remote environment. They needed a saddle that would be comfortable while working long hours on horseback, both for the rider and the horse. The saddle had to be tough enough to stand up to rough use, yet still be light weight and easy to girth.

The settlers took the basic English saddle and made it sturdier, to be able to stand up to the rough work of managing cattle in a harsh terrain. They also added fittings, such as d-rings and bridge staples so they could carry their gear with them.

However, the most dramatic change was the addition of what came to be called poleys, or kneepads at the front of the saddle. The poleys are the easiest way to distinguish Australian style saddles from other types of saddle. The poleys are designed to be parallel to the rider’s thigh and about ¾-inch away. The poleys show their true value in keeping the rider securely seated when riding up or down any kind of incline, or when a horse moves quickly. The poleys allow the rider to move their thighs forward and lock themselves into the saddle.

A highly efficient, yet simple double girthing is used to attach an Australian saddle to the horse. The billet straps (which are sewn to the saddle) and the overgirth (a strap going across the top of the saddle) both buckle directly to the girth. This double system allows the rider to girth the saddle more effectively, which helps eliminate slippage. Should a billet strap break, the overgirth provides additional safety.

Australian saddles sit more forward on a horse’s back than traditional Western saddles and the stirrups are attached in a more forward position. This puts the rider’s center of gravity and weight over the horse’s shoulders rather than the middle of the spine. This position is thought to be more comfortable for most horses and enhances horse performance.

Most people find that the Australian riding position is also more comfortable for the rider. With the riders feet forward of the hips there is better weight distribution, resulting in less stress on the knees . And the 2 ½" leathers make it easy to turn the stirrups in the correct position. Many riders who experience knee problems with Western and English saddles do not have problems with Australian saddles.

Stirrup leathers hang from stirrup bars on the saddle tree and are designed for easy release by sliding backwards. Under most circumstances, should a rider take a fall and be dragged, the stirrup leathers will release from the saddle, reducing the risk of injury.

Australian saddle trees are commonly made of wood and steel, fiberglass, or polyurethane. Wood and steel provide an excellent ride through its suspended seat system. The rider sits on webbing suspended over the tree, not on the tree itself. The webbing is then covered with padding and leather. Some wood and steel trees can also be adjusted (with special equipment) to fit virtually any horse. Injection molded polyurethane trees provide supreme durability, construction consistency, and light weight.

Padding or stuffing on a traditional, serge panel, Aussie saddle is very generous, with 2 inches in most areas, providing comfort for the horse. As it compacts the unique panel self-adjusts to conform to an individual horse’s back. Wool wadding or acrylic flock in the panels provides superior comfort, resiliency and air circulation. The padding also provides extra cushion for the rider.

In short, the Australian saddle is a saddle that has evolved to provide maximum benefit for both the rider and horse. Its ability to conform to the shape of the horse and to keep the rider comfortable and secure has been proven for nearly 200 years, on the harshest, driest, and most unforgiving continent on earth – Australia.

Watch the movie, and tell me you should be “insecure” in an Aussie saddle.

I’m surprised by your chiro’s comment also. I have never ridden in an Aussie saddle, but I do have a dressage saddle with wool-flocked serge panels (like most Aussie saddles). I will never go back to leather-lined panels again. The serge/wool combination truly molds to the back for a custom fit. Of course, the saddle has to fit the back in the first place, but if it does, I think they are better for horses’ backs than traditional panels. If I were buying a trail saddle, I’d get the best Aussie I could find.

One thing I do not like about them is that the long heavy
flaps give you absolutely no lower leg “feel” against the horse’s sides.

Of course, if you normally ride western this won’t bother you at all. However if you are use to the feel of the leg contact that you get riding dressage or forward seat, and prefer that contact, know that you won’t get it with an Aussie saddle.

I suggest you borrow one to try before you buy it.

I have not ridden an Aussie saddle that much. But I do know thereis a definite difference in how the “India made knock offs” fit and the way the Real Aussie saddles from Australia fit. I agree that you need to try out some first. But it is my suggestion you do ride some different ones if at all possible and see if they are going to do what you need them to do.
If security is what you need a Dressage saddle or an Eventing saddle with a deeper seat might do OK.
Just try to get a chance to test drive some before you buy one.
Sincerely yours DB.

[QUOTE=jerry;3414559]
The Australian Saddle, The Aussie Difference
by Mike Bergin, President Down Under Saddle Supply

Of the three major saddle types; Western, English, and Australian, the Australian saddle is probably the least well known. However, for trail riding, endurance riding or ranch work, the Australian saddle is an excellent choice.

The Australian saddle began its popularity in the United States with the release of the movie “The Man from Snowy River” in 1982. Set in Australia, this terrific film has some of the best horseback scenes you will ever see, and all of the riding is done on Australian saddles.

When the English originally settled Australia in 1788, they brought with them horses, saddles, and related tack. The new settlers soon realized that Australia was very different from their homeland, and began changing the design of their equipment to better suit the harsh, unforgiving, remote environment. They needed a saddle that would be comfortable while working long hours on horseback, both for the rider and the horse. The saddle had to be tough enough to stand up to rough use, yet still be light weight and easy to girth.

The settlers took the basic English saddle and made it sturdier, to be able to stand up to the rough work of managing cattle in a harsh terrain. They also added fittings, such as d-rings and bridge staples so they could carry their gear with them.

However, the most dramatic change was the addition of what came to be called poleys, or kneepads at the front of the saddle. The poleys are the easiest way to distinguish Australian style saddles from other types of saddle. The poleys are designed to be parallel to the rider’s thigh and about ¾-inch away. The poleys show their true value in keeping the rider securely seated when riding up or down any kind of incline, or when a horse moves quickly. The poleys allow the rider to move their thighs forward and lock themselves into the saddle.

A highly efficient, yet simple double girthing is used to attach an Australian saddle to the horse. The billet straps (which are sewn to the saddle) and the overgirth (a strap going across the top of the saddle) both buckle directly to the girth. This double system allows the rider to girth the saddle more effectively, which helps eliminate slippage. Should a billet strap break, the overgirth provides additional safety.

Australian saddles sit more forward on a horse’s back than traditional Western saddles and the stirrups are attached in a more forward position. This puts the rider’s center of gravity and weight over the horse’s shoulders rather than the middle of the spine. This position is thought to be more comfortable for most horses and enhances horse performance.

Most people find that the Australian riding position is also more comfortable for the rider. With the riders feet forward of the hips there is better weight distribution, resulting in less stress on the knees . And the 2 ½" leathers make it easy to turn the stirrups in the correct position. Many riders who experience knee problems with Western and English saddles do not have problems with Australian saddles.

Stirrup leathers hang from stirrup bars on the saddle tree and are designed for easy release by sliding backwards. Under most circumstances, should a rider take a fall and be dragged, the stirrup leathers will release from the saddle, reducing the risk of injury.

Australian saddle trees are commonly made of wood and steel, fiberglass, or polyurethane. Wood and steel provide an excellent ride through its suspended seat system. The rider sits on webbing suspended over the tree, not on the tree itself. The webbing is then covered with padding and leather. Some wood and steel trees can also be adjusted (with special equipment) to fit virtually any horse. Injection molded polyurethane trees provide supreme durability, construction consistency, and light weight.

Padding or stuffing on a traditional, serge panel, Aussie saddle is very generous, with 2 inches in most areas, providing comfort for the horse. As it compacts the unique panel self-adjusts to conform to an individual horse’s back. Wool wadding or acrylic flock in the panels provides superior comfort, resiliency and air circulation. The padding also provides extra cushion for the rider.

In short, the Australian saddle is a saddle that has evolved to provide maximum benefit for both the rider and horse. Its ability to conform to the shape of the horse and to keep the rider comfortable and secure has been proven for nearly 200 years, on the harshest, driest, and most unforgiving continent on earth – Australia.

Watch the movie, and tell me you should be “insecure” in an Aussie saddle.[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT POST!!! :slight_smile:

I am another retired dressage competitor that has taken to miles of trail riding on my Kiger mustang with an Aussie saddle! For every negative comment I read, my immediate thought was “Then they haven’t ridden in a GOOD Aussie saddle!” I had mine especially made for this Kiger, and that was 5 years ago. It still fits him (and me) like a glove; it is a Poley stock saddle, so it has only the slighest feeling of feet in front. I have no trouble posting, and I am secure for any terrain (or antics of my horse!) I plan to order another one when my new Luso arrives. Mine is a Syd Hill and I also give thumbs up to “Down Under Saddle”.
They will do their best to make sure the saddle fits properly and is the correct style. There are many from which to choose, so use your eyes to study the depth of the seat, angle of stirrup leathers, heights of cantle, weight, etc. In all the miles, I have never had a sore back nor has my horse!
I am sure the Chiro had to treat one horse with a sore back from a cheap immitation or ill fitting saddle. It can happen with a Passier too!