Aviar Saddles

Anyone have any feedback on Aviar Saddles? Are they connected to Custom Saddlery?

Yes, they are connected with Custom.

I just had a rep out on Monday, and am hoping to hear back that she’s found something that might work for us. I did find some old posts and connected with a poster here who is very happy with her Aviar. Someone local has them on both her horses and also loves them (granted she does not ride hard/a lot from what I know).

My horse is currently in a Black Country Vinici that is OKish (had it made for a different horse, flocked to her but we’re using a SaddleRight pad with it recentlyl), so she is not back sore or anything. She is a horse that tends to hold her breath, and the first Aviar I tried, she did a few huge blows and then started really nice rhythmic breathing. Saddles 2 and 3 didn’t seem to show a difference from my current saddle. Saddle 4 she really lifted her back up and went more FDO into the bridle. We then tried Saddle 1, and got the same breathing response, so we had to choose between #1 and #4 for the tree, and I thought the lifted back was a stronger tell, and the breathing would follow. I believe it is the Rook 2.5, and I need their tapered block because I have super long femurs (of course that was on saddle #2). They offer a 10 day no risk demo on pre-made saddles, and if custom, they will take the saddle back and make another one if the first doesn’t fit.

My trainer has mentioned that some horses change so much in their backs that they need something totally different before too long. However, they are able to change out the panels. The rep thought my mare already was well-muscled enough in the back that it wouldn’t be an issue, but of course there is no way to know.

2 Likes

I’m a hard fit, and absolutely hated the Aviars I tried. I know a lot of people love them. Theoretically, they’re supposed to be closer contact and I loved that idea. They just didn’t work for me.

They are higher end from Custom Saddlery, I think - not sure all aspects of that. I have a Custom Gemini I just looooove.

I need a very narrow twist with a flat spot and high rise in front, room for my seat to move because I have ample backside, and a short enough block to let my leg move. I’ve been dealing with some physical issues where I might no longer be so picky if trying saddles, but those were my restrictions where none of the ones i tried fit me. They seemed to fit my mare ok, but if my hips are blocked she won’t move, so it didn’t matter.

Appreciate the feedback. I love Custom Saddles for rider comfort but have had significant fit and quality issues for client horses. Interested to hear if Aviar has improved on that

1 Like

Oh yeah, seat-wise, they are rather hard. I’m fairly adaptable as long as I have room for my leg and not too steep of a rise to the pommel.

I also should have mentioned, my horse is a 17H warmblood, and WB seems to be their wheelhouse fit wise. When I was researching a couple months ago, I think I remember finding some posts from people with other breeds/builds that they did not work out for.

They have a new seat now. My horse went great in the older one, but the hard seat was a no go for me. I love the new seat & the comfort sold me.

I have an Aviar and love it. The saddle has changed my position and improved my effectiveness. Another rider in my barn also loves hers. Since she has a hard to fit horse, she was extremely happy to find something that works for him. That being said, they are a bit pricey.

1 Like

the one I tried had a more flexible tree than the wooden ones and since my horse has rather big gaits, it was too much motion for his comfort. For me, the thigh blocks are too big as I am short

I tried demo saddles last week. They are not cushy, but not as hard as some really old school saddles.

I have had 3 - currently in the process of switching away from them as my excellent fitter quit, and I can’t find anyone good who will come to me. Love the way they ride, but having difficulty adapting them to some of my newer horses and without competent fitter support it’s not working for me at the moment.

I am told they do now offer a wool panel, which would have helped in my situation. They are also offering a free repanel in the first 12 months if the fit changes.

2 Likes

I have 2. Both are the Rook 3 with a narrower twist and short thin thigh blocks. The seat is firmer than a traditional Custom saddlery saddle. I started out with the Rook 1 and liked it -but found over time the thigh blocks were the wrong shape for me and the twist was a bit wide so upgraded when the new model came out. They have several models and several thigh block options that all feel different. My horses seem to really like the saddles and do go well in them.

2 Likes

bumping this as i’m currently trialing an aviar. wondering if anyone has experience with how they hold up - leather quality, integrity of the tree, etc. also, how the foam ages (concerned about it becoming hard and uncomfortable; had a foam-paneled tree years ago so not sure if the quality has improved since then). tia!

I can’t speak to durability, but the panels “click” in and can be changed, so it should be less of an issue to replace them either for fit or foam damage. I don’t think they’ve been around long enough to really assess how the foam ages.

I never heard back from my Aviar rep :frowning: I might pursue it again in a couple months, but hate committing that much $$ to someone who seems a bit unreliable.

@outerbanks77 is she local to you or does she travel up from my neck of the woods?

She comes from your area. I was thinking of PMing you. :wink:

I have had them since…2020? There was an issue with the first batch that the company made right. Otherwise, mine have all been fine and we have…5? in the barn now.

I will say the seats on some of the earlier models were hard. They are also different, so if all possible, I’d buy the saddle you tried. None of them have changed in the years of riding or broken down, but obviously, it hasn’t been 20 years or anything like that.

We do like them and the horses really love them. I have found that in the last two years my experiences with Custom/Aviar have been much less reliable and a lot of flaky fitters or fitters leaving.

1 Like

I briefly owned the Aviar Raavun and my horse and I both absolutely HATED it. It sored his back so badly his lower back was in knots and it took a few months to rehab him from that experience. The rep pretty much abandoned me after the sale was done. The company did take the saddle back and is sending me another model, which I am only taking because they do not issue refunds. In the meantime, I found a much better fitting saddle (from a different company) and a rep that is more responsive. I found the seats of the Aviars to be very uncomfortable, hard and they hit me in the pubic bone. The replacement is a Rook 3. I hope it is better but I am not counting on it.