Unlimited access >

Baby Greenie Support Group now open: Share Your Pain!

“My name is Merry. And I have a Baby Greenie.”

If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for as you waved it over your baby hunter or jumper?

For mine, I’d wish that he didn’t lose his focus at the most inopportune times. Ugh! Like when I’m doing really well in my eq. flat class, we reverse at the walk, and gee, suddenly he notices the pony on the hillside. Or hunger pangs strike and he reaches for the rosemary bush right in front of the judge’s booth…

What would you change with a wave of your magic wand?

“Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America”

I’m at Portola Farms, one exit down the freeway from you. Welcome to the Bay Area - don’t you love it here already?

Where are you from on the East Coast?

“Oh Mickey you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!”

Sounds like a perfect first horse show experience, what a superstar! I’m especially impressed that he was so good in the hack, he’s not used to being in such large groups, is he? And I am truly hoping his show name is Tigger because I love it. Scrum-diddly-umptious, as Tigger would say.

Had Justice been standing next to Tigger at the end of the hack, he could have shared a valuable insight that he has learned in his first season of showing. After 2 jumping classes and a flat class, it is only fair that a poddy break is provided. After all, they are kindergartners, and can only go at the most inopportune of times. This is why I pray harder than others that my horse is in the top three of the hack. If they don’t call his name right at the beginning his attitude seems to be “piss off.” Literally.

A semi-bending moment…

.:Erin B #2:.
“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it’s time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught to fly.”

Hello all, just wanted to give you a brief update… Found someone to work with me and my mare and hopefully we’ll get things back on track! I’ve known this woman for many years-- her mom originally taught me to ride some 12 odd years ago and she has since taken over the program. A friend of mine suggested I get in touch with her about my mare…I don’t know why I didn’t think of her sooner!!

So anyway I’ll let you know how things go, have to finalize a few details with her but we should be getting things rolling asap…

Thanks again for all the replies and support.

Merry… how bout some pics of your BarbieCow??

I know all about that bouncing, head shaking thing. Today we were doing more leg yielding. (I don’t know why, my trainer is on a serious leg yielding jag.) Tess leg yields great for my trainer. For me, kind of so-so.

Today we tried it with me wearing spurs (first time.) Suddenly we were much better at going sideways–if you overlooked the fact that Tess’s head was higher than mine. Okay, just for the heck of it, let’s try spurs and draw reins.

Tess is now having a hissy. Her head disappears completely, somewhere down between her knees. I keep checking frantically with trainer. I’m not making her do that, am I? Trainer is laughing at me/us (we’re always happy to be a source of amusement and frequently are )

No, she says, Tess is doing it all on her own. The draw reins are loose. Hissy or no, our leg yielding finally turned out pretty well.

DMK, if the greenie is anything like Robbie, I’m sure the pictures will be worth waiting for!!

Cactuskate, I share your pain. Brining up a greenie is difficult without some ground help!! I work mostly on my own, but once we really started putting fences together, I realized we had to start getting some help. If I go it alone, no matter how much I anticipate our issues and set up a course before I get on, I inevitably need something changed. And once I have to hop off and reset a ground line or add one or something, I’ve lost my mare’s attention or she’s forgotten what she did wrong that made me change the fence in the first place. I do have a trainer. In fact, I now have two, but both are on the road a lot, and difficult to get a lesson from.

So I think I want to change my wish to a more accessable and available trainer

OUCH! I am glad you are OK!

I just purchased myself a Christmas gift! An International skunk-head approved helmet! It is quite comfy and I do feel good that am I am doing something to protect my noggin.

Yes, we have conquered the flower box and the colored rails…so a new twist must be brought in to keep our rides “lively” LOL Greenie has decided (as described on page 53 of greenie manual) that a buck and neck twisty thing must happen after each x rail. Not a real buck but just enough to get me fixing the buck so he can do the twisty neck thing LOL.

::scratching my head and hoping someone sends me a horse that’s made soon::

It’s been a while since I posted on this thread. I see it’s still going strong.

Report on greenie #2, Shadow - first official lesson with a trainer tonight, a dressage trainer that is. Yea, he’s that green and yea, he hasn’t been ridden very much. Other than the occasional “hippity-hop” on his front end and a little excessive speed, this little ottb managed to impress the dressage trainer. She says he’s a “looker”. He’s not really a fancy horse, but he will serve someone well on the local levels. He was just too sweet to send to the auctions. He’s now officially, if not actually, a five year old. He still looks like a gangly teenager.

Report on greenie #1, Rio - getting better and better all the time. We are gearing up for a stay at the trainer’s place in February. He had such a nice intro show at the 3’ levels. He managed to best some very, very expensive imports. We were very proud of him. His flat work is coming along great, too. I will attach one for your viewing pleasure. Just don’t knock the kid too much, she’s working on her hunter’s form, not her’s.

Speaking of “fatty hunters”…

^-^
Don’t ask me, I’m just the mom!

If Dressage is Symphony, and Eventing is Rock 'n Roll, then Hunters must be R&B

Well, Beezer, Merry et al, aren’t you nice! And, yes I would love to write such an article, but no one has ever asked me…

So I come on this BB and give unsolicited advice. Works for me

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O’Connor:
Lord Helpus lately? It’s been awhile…
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve been thinking a lot about her ever since her January 11 appointment at the Cleveland Clinic has come and gone. I’m hoping she will post soon and with some good news. I’m sure we’re all praying for her.

Cheers, Maggi

Not quite there yet but with 3 baby baby greenies (2-2year olds and 1-3 year old)I am soon to enter the frustrating stage.

Currently in the round pen and as of last night accomplished trotting very quietly over a ground pole. I was really quite pleased with that.

Needless to say, you will be hearing more from me as time progresses and my hair turns gray!

Finally some baby greenies who are speaking my language! I read this thread when it started, but everyone seemed to be talking about horses who jumped around courses and only bucked in corners. Forget that!

I’ve got two girls. Zoe, a coming 6 BS Paint who was backed late and only ridden about twice a year in summers before I got her last may. Very fancy & too sensitive. Luckily she has no aptitude for airs above ground and her aim with her hind legs is only marginal! She is good at demolishing blankets. I’m checking out trainers for her.

Then there is Fleet, my sweet-pea. She’s a 7yr old OTTTB, & the most quiet one you will ever meet. She’s needs a ton of lateral work yet. Anybody got any suggestions on lateral exercises?

Hey DMK its been in the 60’s in Harrisburg, PA all week!

Now remember… my greenie is, well, “sub greenie” so our milestones are so much smaller

Today the Riverman did his first “real” X - as in a height (18" max) that might prompt him to do more than a glorified step. I also removed all the cavelleti poles, landing poles, etc., except for the one trot pole before the fence (What can I say - I’m a big believer in those ).

So after we do some walking and trotting, I incorporate the X into the routine - I usually do this before cantering because this horse has not really been capable of putting together 10 or more strides at a canter up until about 2 weeks ago, so we finish up with a canter (oh the joys of OTTBs). But now when he lands on the correct lead, I generally let him canter halfway around our (tiny) ring before going back to a trot.

First and foremost - he felt very special when he jumped the X - like he might actually be using his front end, and most definitely rounding up a little, which was a lot more than I expect out of a 17 hand horse and an X…

Second, he is so nice and sloooow over the top He hasn’t quite figured out the rock back thing, but that is so much easier to teach than trying to teach them to slow the arc.

Last (and this was my favorite part), after we did a few X’s and our canter work, which I was thinking had become quite respectable, I went back and trotted the X one more time. He caught the right lead, so I cantered around to the other diagonal, where I had a canter pole set up. He has done a canter pole exactly TWICE before this (yesterday), but I saw the distance out of the corner and said what the heck. Then as I got a stride away, I said what the hell, I’ll ask for a lead change. Think and ye shall receive! Incredible slow, smooth, balanced change, and we cantered around the corner with no change in pace.

What can I say other than

This one wants to be a fancy hunter, I can just feel it!!

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies…

I rode yesterday and today, and put DMK’s suggestions into practice. By the end of our session today, she was going quietly along the rail, no spooking, no “giraffe neck.” I suppose it will just take time and trust on both our parts.

She really is a good girl, just has quite the nasty spook in her, which is why I’m getting more and more reluctant to give up the western saddle we started her in!

All in all, I think patience is the key here… she has only been under saddle two months. I guess you could say she’s of the “neon green” variety…!

I just bought a 2 year old today. Oi. It doesnt steer yet.

Any elementary advice on how to make him steer extra fabulous?

Hes 2 years old, a dun paint, and his name is Cisco. Hes been under saddle about 2 months.

Yeehaw- Formerly RF
COTH BB Resident Cowgirl

"She’s gone country… look at them boots, shes gone country… back to her roots, shes gone country, a new kind of suit… SHES GONE COUNTRY!! HERE SHE COMES!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you use Nancy for your chiro/acupuncture? If so, she’s who I use and she’s just the best. I’m waiting to find out if she can come see Mickey this week or next.

“Oh Mickey you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!”

This topic is soooooo long, so you all must forgive me if you have already covered this question in depth somewhere back on page 10, but what age do you all think it is ok to start jumping? I have a 3 year, 8 month old QH, very solid, good bone, working well under tack and we just started him over fences-- a little crossrail, some ground poles, one or two strides to a little 2’ vertical. My trainer and I have talked about doing this type of exercise with him once or twice a week.
Neither one of us is a genius when it comes to knowing how to start young ones, but he had EXCELLLENT, gentle, kind breaking from a wonderful cowboy and has a great attitude. He wants to be your lapdog. We have a trainer in the area who starts a great many young ones, and comes by about once a week to use the indoor ring. She has been helping us make sure we place the poles correctly and use exercises that will help him find his feet. She thinks he’s fine to start in this program. But she admits, that as a professional who needs to sell them, she needs to hurry them along more than I might.

Anyway, he’s generally ridden 3-4 times a week, 20 to 35 minutes, and doesn’t get lunged and we don’t use devices of any sort on him (i.e., no martingale, no draw reins. Just good old fashioned slow and steady. He’s a love, and I want to keep him sound.

So how much do you all think it is safe to jump him at this time?

Thanks!

Oh, Rumors, sounds like cantering was just way too much fun for your horse! Hammie always-- always— pitches in the warm-up ring when I first go into the canter. But he doesn’t actually buck. He hasn’t really bucked at the canter since his first couple of shows, when he nearly unloaded me. I’m now so used to it that I can hold a conversation with someone on the ground while I pitch around like a rodeo queen. It’s quite amusing, actually.

Trick, so sorry about your show! Major bummer. Man, the folks back east must think we’re major wusses.

And Barbie Cow does indeed jump, although at 3 I’m not really working on that right now. We’re doing great just going forward and being STRAIGHT when cantering to the right. I mean, I don’t want my cow looking like a crab as it canters down to a jump.

“Friends don’t let friends eat fish tacos.”