Unlimited access >

Baby rat

Simon still wants to start the day with some formula from the syringe. The rest goes on bread and/or soaked rat kibbles. I use paper towels and change them out every feeding to keep him clean. I need to wash the fleece pjs he snuggles in. They’re for the elderly cat, if she gets too cold. We’ll switch him to a wire cage when he’s older. Might try to find him a friend, too.

12 Likes

He seems to have gotten much bigger. I can’t wait til his little eyes open more. And two ratties are too cute. he needs a friend.

3 Likes

I put water in last night with a rock to make it safe. He really enjoyed drinking and playing in it. This is from this morning.

22 Likes

I love Simon!!! :heart:

4 Likes

Simon is a girl! Samantha, (Sam)? I guess I’m used to livestock and testicles descending later, lol.

We learned this by double checking with a local rat breeder we were talking with to find a friend for Sam. I ordered a wire cage because it’s so much healthier. It was very difficult to find one without a wire bottom and tight enough to keep a baby rat in. Once it comes in, we’ll go pick up a friend. The breeder has some females her age. Good thing we figured this out.

7 Likes

Sam likes being tickled and plays with my hand. She comes when called, too

17 Likes

She’s just so cute.

2 Likes

That is one stinkin’ cute little ratty. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Now she’s Simone! So cute!

Have you looked into cages made for ferrets? They’re usually more than one level and on wheels. Maybe more than you’re looking for but lots of fun for a pair of ratties.

Like this one:

2 Likes

We’re probably going to call her Samantha. Sami for short.

4 Likes

Update, she is back to a he because I’m really not sure. Maybe we should just stay with Sam. Nice neutral name.

I finally got the cage. It should work until Sam is older. A rat breeder is bringing by a same age companion for Sam today. He’s going to verify make it female.

Sam is thrilled with the new cage, but still runs out to greet me.

12 Likes

Simon has a friend! We confirmed he’s a boy, so, his name will be Simon. Yesterday, he was joined by Levi. Levi is slightly bigger, with a black head, with a funny little blaze, and a white body.

14 Likes

I bet Simon is thrilled to have a buddy! I’m glad he turned out to be a boy—I think the male ratties often make better pets.

Can’t wait to see photos of them together!

3 Likes

Need Pictures!
Rat Bros :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Any new pictures to share? Does Simon have a brother yet?

2 Likes

Yes. I’ll post some pictures soon.

2 Likes

Levi is adorable. I love his little blaze.

Simon is a week or so younger, but they’re bros. Snuggling together and playing. Simon is still very cuddly with people. Levi is becoming more friendly every day. I think he’s learning from Simon.

18 Likes

Oh they are adorable in their little ratdominium. I love Levi’s blaze, too.

4 Likes

Aww, they’re so cute together!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

More pics of the rat bros since it’s snowing outside and we’ve got nowhere to go today.

17 Likes