Unlimited access >

Baby rat

So adorable! Thanks for doing right by this baby (and sharing it with us)! I never envisioned myself a rat owner (and am still not a fan of the wild ones that sometimes end up in barns), but many moons ago I also rescued a young rat from a pet store that was too large for the snake it was intended for, and no one wanted him. He ended up being a wonderful pet (extremely smart, and very affectionate), and the best little “rattie ambassador”. Please keep the updates coming!

5 Likes

Oh these pictures just warm my heart. I love that Simon now has a friend! Rats are so fun to watch.

When they are older one of my favorite things to do with my rats was put out a pan of water with frozen peas in it. Top off with a few rocks for easy in/out climbing and you have the worlds best swimming pool!!!

They are so smart too. You can clicker train them real easily if that’s of interest to you. I would use minced up soft dog training treats but you can use all kinds of things.

4 Likes

How are Simon and Levi doing?? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great! Happy little guys.

4 Likes

Aww that’s great!

2 Likes

The boys are all grown up now. They wrestle and play, which is very entertaining. Simon is still more outgoing and loves to come out to play with us. He still enjoys tickle sessions.

15 Likes

They are so cute. You definitely need to convince Harvey (snake) to eat frozen thawed.

You are building quite the menagerie.

Susan

3 Likes

We’ve always had a menagerie. Our son is an only child who has grown up with many different pets and farm animals. We’re actually on the downswing, now that he’s a young teen. Right now, we have an aging indoor bunny, an ancient cat, an old goat, an old pony, and an old dog. They are wonderful pets and will always be a part of our son’s childhood, but they won’t be replaced. It seems to be a natural thing and a great way to give good homes to animals while enjoying their company in a busy, happy household.

When he goes to college, we’ll be left with a dog, two horses, two goats, two cats, a snake (unless he takes him with) and two rats (although rat lifespans are short, so maybe not. :slightly_frowning_face:).

4 Likes

I’m so happy to see an update! I’ve been wondering about them.

2 Likes

Ugh. I can’t believe I forgot the three year old mini donkey. Tony will be with us when we’re old, lol.

3 Likes

OMG, how did I ever miss this thread?? I love rats!

2 Likes

We lost our old bunny we rescued years ago. She was at least 8 years old and died peacefully in her sleep while we were out of town. Our petsitter told us what happened. Snowflake was an awesome pet. She played with her stacking toys and had definite opinions about how we moved her furniture when cleaning her pen every day. She lived in the basement in an indoor hutch with a large x pen attached. She was right behind my desk and I miss taking breaks to rub her cheeks, fetch her some tidbits of veggies or fruits, or pet her back just how she liked it.

So, what does this have to do with rats? Simon. I was feeling sad after I moved Snowflake’s hutch. I moved the rat cage to where the hutch was and gave Simon some tickles and scratches. He started licking my hand and arm. He kept it up while I laughed and petted him. Sweet little guy.

10 Likes

Sorry about your sweet bunny. ANd bless little Simon’s heart - he sounds like such a cutie.

2 Likes

He sounds adorable.

2 Likes

Seasons Greetings! Need a Simon update! How is he doing??

2 Likes

And Levi?? :heart::heart:

1 Like

I’ll try to get a picture of the ‘rat bros’. They’re scurrying about with their breakfast right now. I’ll try to catch them during nap time in their hammock.

3 Likes

Garfunkel in his favorite box.

Simon visiting me for tickles.

15 Likes

Oh! I should explain. Levi’s name changed to Garfunkel after our son was playing one of their songs on his piano. :joy:

4 Likes

Do you call him “Simon the Siamese”? :rofl:

1 Like