Unlimited access >

Barbara "Babs" Meegan, BBer Kennett Square, passes away (funeral info pg 3 -- Celebration of the Life of Babs info on Page 7)

Cavallo Farm and its friends are saddened to report that their good friend Barbara Meegan passed away in her sleep this morning.

A lifelong Virginian, Babs grew up in the Northern Virginia area and trained with Peter Foley and Dale Crittenberger of Woodhall. She also apprenticed with Tony Workman. She’s taught many riders in the area including VHSA champions in pony eq, pony hunters, and adult hunters. She was a VHSA associate representative and an advocate for the Associate Horse Show program. She joined the Cavallo Farm family in 1996 and has been our dear friend ever since.

Details about the funeral arrangement are still being made and we will post them when we know more.

All BB friends please feel free to share your memories.

Babs’ Cavallo Trainer Bio

[This message was edited by CavalloFam on Jun. 13, 2003 at 08:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 13, 2003 at 11:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 14, 2003 at 09:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 16, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 28, 2003 at 05:32 PM.]

This is truly heartbreaking.

I too, did not know her, but I loved her posts. She epitomized what was great about this board.

I posted this on the Dublin thread a while back.

While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.
–John Taylor

Funny Quotation of the Week (6/18-6/25): “Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.”
Hedy Lamarr

It was standing room only in the chapel this morning.

We had tiny tiara lapel pins, courtesy of Anyplace Farm and the procession to the cemetary was truly of regal proportions.

Babs tied up traffic from Annandale to Alexandria, down I95 and around the beltway on her last ride.

I will always “love you best” and hold her close in my heart.

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

Hi All,
I am so, so sorry to hear of Kennett Square’s/Bab’s passing. To all her students and friends, I express my deepest condolences.

I’m in shock. Although I never met her in person, I loved reading her posts and bidding against her during Aiden’s auction.

It truly makes me think about life. I’m almost exactly the same age (just a few months off). I can’t believe it. I just can’t.

Gallop on Kennett Square! Find Victor and have some laughs in heaven. You’ve left the earth a bit richer with your sense of humor and your talent with horses and students.

Hallie McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

I swear that only the good die young.

B***h in training

Good-bye darling Kennett Square!

I am absolutely stunned to hear about this. I have had so much fun with Kennett Square on this BB over the years, we danced and flirted and laughed together here on line. She was my partner-in-crime during all of our silly VA/jock strap/Sea Urchin threads and boy did she make me laugh. I am deeply saddened that such a spirited, fun woman like her has passed on so early in life.

Kennett Square - I’ll raise my drink to you tonight, think of all the fun we had, and then down it in one go. We may have never met, but you were my friend for sure, and thanks for all of the laughs. I will remember you always in conjunction with this smiley:

“Toss me… Don’t tell the elf.”-Gimli

Oh mY! I am just stunned! My condolences.

~<>~ COTHBB Leather Care Guru~<>~
~Member of the Horse Vans Rock clique~

I keep reading this thinking, “no, this cannot be.”

I saw Babs at Rolex on year but didn’t know it was her until later that night, when I was skipping out on the last-fence party and Fairweather called me on my cell phone. Babs took over the phone and we had the biggest laugh after she berated me for not being there.

My heart is breaking.

Robby

high high post post
i dont brag i mostly boast
from the VA to da LA coast
izzy kizzy lizzy go

I,too, only knew KS/Babs through the BB. We did say “Hi” at a show once. It still feels like I have lost a true friend. I will wear my Tiara embroidered Baseball cap, just for her.
It just seems so weird that there will be no more KS posts.
I will try to ride out of my corners like my hair is on fire.

Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
Where the horse and I seem to have a different set of directions. I did not have that last left turn on my map!
(Brushing dust off of self)

I’m smiling through the tears yet again because these beautiful, yet poignantly sad, posts.

B***h in training

I am just stunned.

I was fortunate enough to know Babs for a year while I played “adult amateur” at Cavallo, and then again when I brought Elliot there for a few months of recovery and down time. She graciously averted her eyes when I wore black britches, a helmet cover, and “eventing” T-shirts; or gunned down a six stride line in five. She was a wonderful wonderful person. Whomever said that you can judge a teacher by her students was right. Babs has WONDERFUL kids. They take care of their ponies and ride the best that they can. They are walking tributes to this wonderful woman that we lost.

For those of you (like myself) who are having trouble getting past the “WHY?”… Well, the only reason I can come up with as to why we would lose someone as young and vibrant as Babs is this:

There must’ve been some ponies and pumpkins in Heaven that needed her help.

My condolences to the entire Cavallo Farm family. Godspeed Babs. I will miss you.

Half of Riding is 30% mental … no wonder there are so many bad riders

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who knew and loved her.

I have just come back home to this thread and I too only knew Kennett Square through her posts. My heartfelt thoughts to her friends and family don’t seem adequate. It is important to remember, however, that there seems to be no measure to the love, caring, and especially laughter she left with all who loved her. What a wonderful legacy to have brought such pure joy to all fortunate enough to know her.

“just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.” -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

I only knew Babs for four years but should have known her all my life. Imagine our delight when exchanging bits of information at a local show, we discovered that we grew up within 10 miles of each other, rode the same trails, knew the same people and that Bab’s best friend had bought from me the first horse I ever sold!

Babs was my mentor, my mother hen, my co-conspirator, my support system and my friend.

Several years ago, when a group of us got together for the steeplechases at Old Dominion, I took a photo to commemorate our “virtual” friends from COTH. It was a folding chair draped with a KrispyKreme sweatshirt, and in the seat were several boxes of peeps, a map of Canada and a bottle of Absolute and CranRaspberry juice.

I toted that bottle of Absolute to every outing where there was a chance of Babs’ attending. The level went down slowly (she did switch off for a good margharita!).

The bottle is in my pantry, waiting for Babs.

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

Oh noooooo

That is so sad…I am so sorry…she will be dearly missed…

>^.,.^<
~~Linda

~Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.~

It seems so unreal. She was a remarkable person…she loved and cared about everyone…It just seems unbelievable that last week we were talking at Upperville…and of course her “pumpkins” were the main thing on her mind…What a truly great lady. I was looking through my Albums and I have a lot of pictures of Babs…and it seems so unreal that we won’t hear her voice or see her smile…or the way she would roll her eyes and smile and say"It’s ok honey…when she really meant ok princess get over the Diva moment and get in the ring and ride!!"

I guess we never know how precious memories can be and how much people mean to us whether they are in our lives for a lifetime or a brief moment…because it only takes a second to touch someone’s heart and Babs touched so many people.

I was trying to think of all of the great times…and there are just too many to mention…

Thank you Babs for being such an inspiration in so many peoples lives and for bringing so much to so many…

I know I’ll look for you at the top of the Bleachers in Culpeper this summer and you’ll be there with your tiara and your boa smiling down on all of us.

T

Anyplace Farm,

I thought of you immediately yesterday when I read this news. Your post just had such a healing effect on me. I didn’t know Babs but felt as if I did and when you can sum up someone’s radiant life with the inclusion of “Crackerbarrel Barbie” and make me literally choke on coffee, well, it helps me know that Babs just really crossed over to a better, more fabulous plane.

What a treasure of a woman to’ve made such an impact on all.

Robby

high high post post
i dont brag i mostly boast
from the VA to da LA coast
izzy kizzy lizzy go

As with Catctuskate and Dublin, I wish I could have met her in person. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Having had the pleasure of “knowing” her only through her insightful, funny, engaging posts here on the BB, I can’t imagine how bereft those who knew her in real life must be feeling over her passing.

God speed, Kennett Square. You will be supremely missed.

Dear Sam: All Mr. Beezer really wants for Father’s Day is for you to give Beezer FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!