Unlimited access >

Barbara "Babs" Meegan, BBer Kennett Square, passes away (funeral info pg 3 -- Celebration of the Life of Babs info on Page 7)

Cavallo Farm and its friends are saddened to report that their good friend Barbara Meegan passed away in her sleep this morning.

A lifelong Virginian, Babs grew up in the Northern Virginia area and trained with Peter Foley and Dale Crittenberger of Woodhall. She also apprenticed with Tony Workman. She’s taught many riders in the area including VHSA champions in pony eq, pony hunters, and adult hunters. She was a VHSA associate representative and an advocate for the Associate Horse Show program. She joined the Cavallo Farm family in 1996 and has been our dear friend ever since.

Details about the funeral arrangement are still being made and we will post them when we know more.

All BB friends please feel free to share your memories.

Babs’ Cavallo Trainer Bio

[This message was edited by CavalloFam on Jun. 13, 2003 at 08:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 13, 2003 at 11:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 14, 2003 at 09:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 16, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 28, 2003 at 05:32 PM.]

This always has been one of my favorite poems. For you Babo –

Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.

--- Ode. Intimations of Immortality
             William Wordsworth, (1770-1850)

I dont really think this is the place to be bringing up the doctor she saw and how everything was handled… It needs to be left up to the family on what they do and we dont really need to be making assumptions… Babs wouldn’t want that, so lets leave this as a place to remember what a wonderful woman and friend we were all blessed to know and give our respect. thanx.

I was sick all week, so I only saw this last night. I just don’t know what to say.

I only met her a few times, at local shows, at Mosby’s and at FPP.

When I had a stupid crash at a Cavallo show, she was the first one to my side, making sure that I was OK, and then encouraging me not to worry about it, and giving me a leg up.

I was looking forward to showing her my 3 yo.

SHe always seemed so ALIVE. It just doesn’t seem to sink in that she won’t be there anymore.

Janet
chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain

I never met her, but I’ll always remember her from the Virginia clique joking about her fondness for Absolut and Cranberry juice.

She truly was memorable.

Thread killer Extraordinaire

It’s been a few days since I first found out about Babs. I hesitated to post because I’m in such disbelief, I don’t know what to say.

I was lucky enough to train with her until about 2 and a half months ago when I decided to take a break.(Nothing to do with her of course, I’m just in HS and want to try other things, just to experience life to the fullest, you know.)

She helped me overcome confidence issues, moved me to more difficult horses, and made me enjoy riding again after about 3 years of not thoroughly enjoying it(I had been with another trainer). I made her eyes bleed frequently, but I remember the times when I would nail a course and a huge smile was plastered on her face.

She was always extremely nice to me and tried to make it possible for me to ride as often as possible (I didn’t have my own horse).

I’m not quite sure what to say, but I know she will be missed by many. What a tragic loss to the horse community, and the world in general.

Well Babs, I guess you can watch my “crazy antics” 24/7 now!

Mary

A couple of years ago at Upperville, a group of bbers sat in the stands watching hunters and drinking bloody marys. Babs was there and she was definitely the life of the party. After that day, and reading her BB posts, I can easily understand all the great tributes posted here about her. What a sad and tragic loss…

I only recently met Babs, but I offer my sincerest sympathies to all who knew and loved her.

She can join CactusKate and Dublin and together the three of them can raise all kinds of hell

“No time to marry, no time to settle down. I’m a young woman and I ain’t done runnin’ around.” - Bessie Smith

I just saw this thread, and am in total disbelief

I know she is wearing her tiara and up there helping Dublin and Cactuskate over the fences.

“Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques”

This is how we’ll always remember “Empress Babbo”.

Picture of Babs
or try this link
Direct to picture

Mark & Joanne

Babs was great fun! I only had the pleasure of meeting her a handful of times, and we were planning on meeting up this year for some coaching. I’m sorry she had to leave early. Missed my chance

Next time I’m with a group of COTH friends, I will personally raise toast with a glass of Absolute and cranberry juice to her. And I know everyone will join me.

Edited to add, Heck…in honor of Babs spirit…why wait? I’m having an Absolute & cranberry juice now!

Mel

[This message was edited by SaddleFitterVA on Jun. 15, 2003 at 11:00 PM.]

When I didn’t have a horse to ride in the VHSA Adult Eq finals a couple of years ago, Babs arranged it with Mike and Marie at Cavallo Farm for me to try several there. Everyone was absolutely delightful. Too bad I couldn’t ride worth a hoot that day!

B***h in training

Oh shit…I can’t believe this.

B***h in training

I’ve been out of town all weekend and have just learned of this horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all those who knew and loved KS! Having lost a dear mentor/trainer/friend/2nd mother in my life, I know how difficult this is for you all. It’s so very hard to believe that she is gone. I only wish that I had gotten to meet her in person…but at least I got to meet her here.
The memories you have shared touched us all.
My thoughts and prayers for her family and friends.
Godspeed KS~ You are deeply missed! Give Dublin and CatusKate a BIG HUG for us…
Natalie

“A horse is a horse of course of course”…This person obviously never met MY horse!
Who Knew
Frosted Flakes

I knew and rode with Babs many years ago. Whether it was a lesson or a witty statement, Babs gave you the most. I am truly a better person by having the pleasure of knowing her and learned there is humor in everything. I can remember walking into a party and being hit in the face by her bra (which she put on the ceiling fan). She was such a character.

Maryland Clique

Soo sad, so hard to to know what to say. Babs rescued us and brought us to Cavallo. Haven’t looked back yet. As others have said it’s the laughter we will all miss. I know each Thursday when I walk in the barn I will expect to see her sitting on her blue stool in the ring teaching her students and waiting to hear her laughter or a comment such as others have stated, “you are making my eyes bleed”. It really hasn’t sunk in yet. I keep expecting to see her car parked in the lot or to see her walk around the corner. She will be missed.

I’m extremely sorry. I didn’t know her, but a friend of mine rode with her. She also had very nice things to say about her and it seemed like she thought the world of her.

R.I.P.

I had the pleasure of only taking 3 lessons from Babs, and, in fact, I was going to spend the whole summer with her. She was an amazing person. It seems almost unreal, like it’s a joke or something. She was an amazing trainer and an amazing person. The only thing I regret is that I hadn’t known her sooner…

Oh, and the last thing she said to me was “You’re a really good rider” I was really happy and giddy, and I was looking forward to the next lesson.

Another thing that Babs managed to was for me was to cram so much information into one lesson. Well, “cram” isn’t the right word. “Teach” is the right word. After each lesson with her, I would go home and mentally review what she had taught me in each lesson. Every time I was so amazed at how much I had learned. The last lesson I had with her she taught Brandy and I how to bend, and taught me how to sit the trot, which I had never really learned. She was a truly amazing person.

[This message was edited by McLeanHunterRider on Jun. 14, 2003 at 10:28 AM.]

For those of you who may have been looking here and missed Moesha’s very touching rememberance poem, here is the link to it.

For Babs from Moesha

This is sad beyond words.

I met her a few times through BB get togethers at FPP and Mosbys. She made such a strong, wonderful impression. She could make you laugh till your sides hurt. She was always so full of joy.

Her posts always revealed her real true love of teaching her “Precious Pumpkins” and her depth of knowlege.

People like that shouldn’t die–they should go on forever. She’ll be truly missed.