Unlimited access >

Barisone assessment

I assumed, and I am willing to admit that I know nothing about all of this, that the assessment process included treatment. I doubt they just toss him into population and watch from a distance. I would think that they have treatment sessions so the professionals there can have a real idea of what they are dealing with.

12 Likes

Oops, you are right! I was going to say “over 2-1/2 years” and then decided to write “nearly 3 years” but my fingers didn’t get the message about the last part. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have no insider knowledge, so this is just my guess about the situation.

I can’t imagine how Taylor is going to make a ruling unless he has input from the mental health professionals at Ann Klein. And I don’t know how they can make recommendations to Taylor unless they evaluate MB. And I would think those evaluations would certainly depend on conversations with MB, as well as observations of his behavior, demeanor, etc., consideration of whether he needed any medications to keep him on an even keel, and possibly (probably?) even some psychological testing to determine indications of a tendency for “aberrant behavior.” If he is being a “model patient” and exhibiting no signs of being a risk to himself or others, he may not need to receive “treatment” per se while he is at AK. I would certainly think however that the recommendation to Taylor would be for MB to receive regular outpatient counseling for a period of time, to especially help him develop more coping skills to overcome his long-term depression (which has no doubt been exacerbated by all that has transpired since summer of 2019).

11 Likes

I disagree.
Directly from the state of NJ’s website:

Ann Klein Forensic Center

“The Ann Klein Forensic Center is a 200-bed psychiatric hospital serving a unique population that requires a secured environment. Our facility provides care and treatment to individuals suffering from mental illness who are also within the legal system.

5 Likes

Would his demeanor in jail also be considered?
Also, I would hope, if he was already, before this incident, availing himself of counseling, that would begin again when he got to AK.

3 Likes

I am guessing again, but it seems logical that reports about his demeanor in jail would also be taken into consideration. It could be though that they will only be a line item on the overall report - esp. if there was nothing of note to “report.”

3 Likes

So given my complete lack of knowledge on this sort of thing, it seems to me there are varying degrees or types of treatment… Meds are one thing. Group therapy sessions, individual counseling, work assignments to assess coping ability etc. And since their patients must cover a wide spectrum one would guess that the treatment plans do also. I’d also hazard a guess that any treatment he could get upon release would be better and more specific to HIM than whatever he’s getting in there.

4 Likes

I can imagine being able to shower, have decent meals, wear regular clothes (?) and have some exercise has done wonders for his mental state now that the criminal trial is over and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Some day the actual truth may be known. Until then it is good MB has such a huge support system waiting to help put this behind him and protect him from harm in the future. It is apparent he has quite a few students waiting for lessons and clinics when he is ready and willing to teach again.

I wonder how the SS/USEF investigations are progressing?

17 Likes

Generally speaking, the goal of inpatient psychiatric care is to stabilize the patient. AK is a forensic hospital so this can vary to some degree. A lot of times, patients are put on tracks according to diagnosis and then each track has a group schedule. It is just about impossible to schedule individual therapy for 200 patients each day so most activities are group activities. More intensive, individual therapy is generally done in an outpatient setting.

5 Likes

I’ll be surprised if anyone not directly involved hears anything until his status is officially changed.

5 Likes

And cards and letters from supporters. I’ve sent him a few - just chatty stuff, all about me and mine, since I don’t want to trigger anything, and he can’t write back and tell me about him and his :wink: It’s actually been fun; I haven’t written a real letter in years, and due to the circumstance, the topics have been… all about me! (poor guy) hahahahahaha!!

22 Likes

The assessment period in Anne Klein is just that. The physicians and other treatment team members must gather enough information about Barisone to write an accurate report regarding his danger to the public and himself as well as treatment recommendations for Judge Taylor. As such, therapy is not the main focus at this time. He is in a “therapeutic environment”, tho, so will benefit from the support of staff.
All the patients there are from the legal system and may be too ill to be in jail, need psychiatric treatment but in a facility that is “secure”, ie no passes, locked units, guards etc.
It’s not your regular psychiatric hospital!

Not sure if this was covered in a previous thread. If after the evaluation period, the folks at AK determine he’s not a threat to society or himself and is safe to be released with a prescribed course of treatment, could Judge Taylor just override their recommendation and keep him at AK because he disagreed with the verdict?

3 Likes

I don’t think he can overturn their recommendation and/or the assessment. I do think it is likely that he will need to report back to the courts periodically re his compliance with the treatment plan. But I am not a real lawyer…

1 Like

I doubt the judge would disagree with a professional assessment without some other evidence to rely upon for his decision. The judge isn’t a MH professional, so going against medical evidence just because he’s vexed isn’t likely. But I would be surprised if it doesn’t require 3 to 6 months for the clinicians to recommend any type of release. Where I am it usually takes that long to determine if someone can be “treated to competency.”

5 Likes

Would he be transferred to a less secure facility?

2 Likes

At the psychiatric hospital I work at, every patient gets individual therapy each day. There is one psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker and CPS coach on every unit. A unit has 24 patients. In addition to mental health technicians, LPNs and RNs. In addition the IDT (inter disciplinary team) has a meeting with each patient once a month

13 Likes

Thank you for the information @whitehouse1988. That, to me, seems like how it should be. I mean, what good is it if the patients are not getting personal care.

10 Likes

Does anyone know if a new date for MB’s hearing has been set?

7 Likes

I think if he did that he’d have some lawsuits or something similar heading his way.
A judge is supposed to be unbiased and rely on facts, not personal feelings.

6 Likes