Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

Yes, but he is an individual and they used the plural. Is that standard legalese or was it meant as written?

3 Likes

It says figures…does that mean more than one? Or is that just how these things are written?

Is there some legal definition of a public figure?

Edit to add - We posted at the same time.

3 Likes

Aw, thanks. I mostly just lurk now in these threads, but I read everything.

I agree; my avatar is very relevant here. :smiley:

15 Likes
   I really hate dishonesty, especially as a debating tactic.
1 Like

Public Figure: A public figure is a person of great public interest or fame, such as a politician, celebrity, or sports hero. The term usually used in the context of libel and defamation actions, where the standards of proof are higher if the party claiming defamation is a public figure and therefore has to prove disparaging remarks were made with actual malice.

A person may also be considered a “limited purpose” public figure by having thrust themselves to the forefront of particular public controversies in order to influence the resolution of the issues involved. The determination is made on a case-by-case basis, taking the particular facts into account.

Oh gawd, does this definition mean LK is a minor public figure of sorts for the time being? :winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

2 Likes

That’s fine but please stop annoying the rest of us for five pages and take it to PM.

13 Likes
 Why did you ask, if you didn’t want to hear the answer?

Why don’t you take your comments to me to PM, so they don’t annoy anyone, including me?

Victim shaming.
Sad

4 Likes

CAN EVERYONE JUST IGNORE ONE SPECIFIC POSTER. PLEASE??? TIA

14 Likes
Please please please, just do what I say and not what I do!

I still cannot access Barisone’s document. Total fail for me. :frowning:

2 Likes

[h=3]LIMITED PURPOSE PUBLIC FIGURES: FAMOUS FOR A SHORT TIME[/h] New Jersey also recognizes limited purpose public figures.

Question: What is a limited purpose public figure?

Answer: Private citizens who inject themselves into public controversies may be considered public figures for the purposes of related slander and libel lawsuits.

So is a public controversy those that are about the state, or a county matter? The cases cited seem to involve public money (school board, land use, etc.).

1 Like

Public persons - that’s one we haven’t heard much about. I cannot imagine Barisone was a public person before this.

1 Like

Did you follow the directions I posted?

@FitzE , I saved and uploaded a pdf here: https://docdro.id/jeNjy2r

6 Likes

Dear @eggbutt : I caution you never to underestimate my ability to fail at any given task that involves any form of technology no matter how primitive or straight forward. I spent hours this morning trying to access the remote desktop for my work only to eventually have to hard reboot. I’m pretty hopeless in that category, I will admit!

5 Likes

Thank you and thanks to the poster who PMed me!!

6 Likes

That court site is not the most intuitive.

5 Likes

Wow YD, you’re really breaking out in a sweat here. Did someone give you a deadline for getting this shut down? You sound a little desperate. not sarcasm

10 Likes

https://portal.njcourts.gov/webcivil…sclaimer.faces

click in the robot box.
Select “CIVIL Part” (Be SURE to change this from the default of “special civil part”)
Select Search by Name
Enter Barisone Michael
Click the robot box
You should then see a list of ONE record. Click on the Blue Docket L-002250-19
You will then see the entire list of documents filed so far in the civil case in descending date order.

3 Likes