Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

Showing your utter ignorance that two lawyers from different countries both of which are common law jurisdictions can easily discuss shared legal principles.

You don’t know about the law. Don’t confuse your google searches with our legal degrees and experience.

What you “think” is relevant is completely irrelevant to legal professionals discussing law (and the curious and genuine non-legal professionals contributing). You continue to show your ass with each of these types of comments. We understand what we are talking about. The majority of the authentic posters here understand and contribute intelligent and meaningful questions and comments. It is only you and your tedious attempts at “gotcha” that are dumbing down an otherwise interesting discussion.

You were rude, you made a failed attempt to discount an honest and helpful contribution to the discussion, and then you dishonestly tried to alter your response to make yourself look better. It’s contemptible behaviour and I’m done.

To all: I pulled an honest-to-god all nighter last night across three time zones (US/UK/Japan) for a very demanding client and my patience with penny ante nonsense is at an all-time low. No, it’s at zero. I’ve no time for this kind of blather. I’ll be back to my even temper after some sleep. And some wine. And a few langues de chat! Thanks for the genuinely interesting discussion!

30 Likes

Since Canada is on the metric system, Canadians are more likely to talk about “tonnes”, whereas Americans, on the imperial system, are more likely to talk about “tons”.

Ah, but I wasn’t relying on FitzE’s explanation!

Ok, ok, now you ah, me back with clever riposte!

It’s like a Happy Madison movie! From new jersey!

2 Likes

As to the first points, I can clear things up for you. A. It was not a hypothetical. It was a discussion of an underlying legal principle. B. I was not answering you; I was responding to KM.

As for the last bit, it escaped you entirely that I was discussing a general principle and then using the specifics of the NJ regulations which KM already laid out for us. So it was both because, brain cells.

I can only hope that being this obtuse is feigned because if not…bless.

21 Likes

And just as a general note to forestall any future twaddle: most of the lawyers with whom I work are qualified in at least two jurisdictions. Most commonly in my line of work, UK/US and Japan/US. Most US friends are qualified in at least two states. Most common [home state]/DE, NY/DE, and CA/DE. So the attempted gotcha was even more ignorant as many of us aren’t qualified in only one country let alone just one state.

What a palaver with this one! This situation seems bespoke for a hale and hearty, “Stay in your lane!!”

21 Likes
“Two lawyers from DIFFERENT countries”

“Contemptible behavioUr”

I said that from a previous thread that I had the impression that you were Canadian, or perhaps “not American”. 

I‘m not disparaging non-American lawyers. But I think it’s useful to know the country of legal expertise of a poster who is discussing the legal situation on NJ.

Well said.

It is impossible to have an intelligent discussion about laws, with someone who doesn’t understand the meaning of the term “common law”.

Have a drink and a good sleep. I think most everyone reading understands your posts, they just don’t have the energy to get involved in a conversation with the brick wall.

21 Likes

But relevant. I think we just need to give people the benefit of the doubt and not try to split hairs… looking at you @YankeeDuchess. We don’t need drama to discuss. Now back to the four (?) pages I missed because of dinner.

5 Likes

I gave you an out to not be so irritating and yet you refuse to take it… dear god more and more I think you’re an alter.

17 Likes

Two words; Common Law.

You really don’t get it do you? Just, wow. :eek:

This really is like seeing an ad for a reality TV show. I don’t watch them, and this is why. It is very disappointing to see ignorance so loudly proclaimed.

20 Likes
No, I understood that you were discussing general legal principles. 

KM stated that she had personal familiarity with a case in which the property owner was awarded treble damages even though the property owner knew that the contractor was unlicensed. 

I was not aware that she was practicing in NJ. But if it was a NJ case she was describing, that would seem definitive. I’m confused that a lawyer practicing in NJ, who knew personally of such a case, would need to bring in the opinion of a lawyer from another country. Presumably she knew the underlying legal principles as well. 

Once again, my “obtuseness” is not feigned.

KM did cite NJ law. It is codified at NJAC 13:45a - 16.2. If a contractor violates these provisions, that is also a violation of NJ’s Consumer Fraud Act, which calls for treble damages against the contractor. All explained very well by KM and FitzE.
I apologize for the incorrect citation format as I am typing on a tablet and it does not have the full capabilities of a computer.

20 Likes

An alter for another screen name? I’m curious.

What point are you making about “common law”?

Well, thanks for clearing that up for posterity.

15 Likes

So, as said before, KM showed us a NJ case that shows the liability of unlicensed contractors. Do you believe that if KM (or any other Doctor of Jurisprudence here) is not licensed in NJ this case becomes not relevant?

Because that is what you are declaiming without actually typing those words…

Your “obtuseness” may not be feigned, but you’re doing a good job being a gobshite.

19 Likes

the point is you are talking trash about something you know not. Chutzpah, that.

13 Likes

This post suggests to me that KM is not a lawyer in NJ.

1 Like

Yankee Duchess had a bone
Ee i ee i o
And on this bone it liked to chew
Ee i ee i oh
With a nit-pick here
Obfuscate there
Facts to skew, [edit] to spew
No one cares, get a clue
Yankee Duchess had a bone
Ee i ee i o

34 Likes

I must have missed the specific NJ case that KM cited. Can you provide the post number?