Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

LK said it in post 494 of this thread. It’s buried in one of her rants about how great his work is.

The exact statement:
“Im not exactly sure how his “gone missing,” event is relevant here. He continued to work there, for quite some time after that. But um… why continue to work for someone else’s company, when he A.) dislikes the bathroom remodeling business & B.) keeps all the profit for himself when working under his own LLC ?? Yeah. I didn’t understand it either- Luckily, he took my advice.

Emphasis mine.

9 Likes

No, it has to do with the right of the accused NOT bring to compelled to talk.

Thank you, I appreciate the post number and I know it is a hassle to wade through and find it.

I don’t believe her. Particularly because RG isn’t a licensed contractor in New Jersey.

6 Likes

Can you expand on this, please?

2 Likes

I do. You don’t have to have a license to have an LLC. The two are not connected. It actually makes a lot of sense, because as an unlicensed contractor someone doing renovations would be at risk for a lot of liability. The point of an LLC is to reduce exposure to liability for an individual. Also, being able to present oneself as doing business as an LLC would provide a measure of credibility a client might not question too deeply.

And, not to belabor the point. We know he worked for a company before, but we don’t know if his job duties at that company actually required having to be licensed.

9 Likes

It’s pretty easy to make an LLC. It took me a couple hundred bucks and about an hour’s worth of work on the internet to get mine up and running. Closing it down, on the other hand… much harder. Just because one has an LLC doesn’t mean that you have the necessary licenses and permits for the business you are trying to start. Getting an LLC for the bar you want to open is easy. Getting the liquor license is not.

7 Likes

So I looked up LLCs in New Jersey using the principal’s name. [TABLE=“cellpadding: 4, cellspacing: 0”]
[TR]
[TD=“align: center”] [/TD]
[TD]ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNAINS IN AMERICA DIVISION #2 OCEAN COUNTY, N.J., INC.[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0100997901[/TD]
[TD]WARETOWN[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]NP[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]12/2008[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]ATLANTIC COUNTY SOCIETY OF THE DEAF, INC.[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0100551805[/TD]
[TD]ESTELL MANOR[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]05/1993[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]GOODWIN FOUNDATION V, I NC.[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0100962876[/TD]
[TD]MOUNT LAUREL[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]05/2006[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LAW OFFICES OF ROBERT H. GOODWIN, LLC[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0600212461[/TD]
[TD]NEW BRUNSWICK[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]LLC[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]09/2004[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LMI SYSTEMS INC[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0400475418[/TD]
[TD]TUCKER[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]FR[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]03/2012[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MIDDLESEX COUNTY BAR FOUNDATION, A NEW JERSEY NONPROFIT CORPORATION[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0100481682[/TD]
[TD]NEW BRUNSWICK[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]04/1991[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]NEW JERSEY DEAF SENIOR CITIZENS, INC.[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0101029919[/TD]
[TD]BURLINGTON[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]10/2013[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]OCEAN COUNTY IRISH ASSOCIATION, INC.[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0100999102[/TD]
[TD]WARETOWN[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]02/2009[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]THE NEW JERSEY CREATIVE ARTS COLLABORATIVE A NJ NONPROFIT CORPORATION[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0450358014[/TD]
[TD]LUMBERTON[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]03/2019[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]WILDWOOD AVENUE LLC[/TD]
[TD=“align: center”]0600154504[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
None match up with renovation or contract work and this particular Robert Goodwin.

Ditto for registered agents.

I also looked for Lauren Kanarek as a registered agent or principal officer of a business in NJ. No luck.

6 Likes

It doesn’t have to be registered in NJ for it to be a true statement that RG has a LLC. Honestly, it could be buried in a heap of shell companies. I wouldn’t waste your time digging for it. The permit office will have the final say on this tale.

10 Likes

Agreed. The LLC can hire the licensed professionals and that’s how it often works. You can set up an LLC for very little money with paperwork off the internet and give yourself a sheen of respectability fairly quickly. I’ve no doubt they would do this. Grifters gonna grift. The bit they missed was: hiring the licensed professionals.

My experience with this type of regulation is that you cannot do an end run by simply splitting up jobs to skirt under a dollar threshold. Not only is that obviously and patently dishonest (no surprise there) but it’s woefully inadequate if your goal is to avoid regulation by the state. I mean, really, they thought no one would think of that when drafting the regulations? “Yes, I built this house without a license or permits, but it’s okay: I did it under 147 separate contracts with the owner so we’re good, yeah?” That’s…sad.

If the same parties contract for a series of projects at the same site using the same personnel, no, you’re not going to get it past a judge that you are okay b/c your are unlicensed but you “cleverly” split the jobs up to evade regulation. If it hadn’t been confirmed by reliable press, the very thought that this would be an effective way around the licensing issue would make me question if they even KNEW a lawyer, let alone had one in the family.

It reminds me of when my daughter was 3 she was doing something I didn’t want her to do - pouring water from cup to cup on a nice wood table - and I asked her not to. She paused for a moment, clearly wanting to continue her activity, and thought. Finally, she looked at me and said, “Mum, look away.” I laughed so hard that that was her solution!

7 Likes

Oh - I see what you mean now. Sorry, I was distracted earlier.

Still, no LLC in NJ with RGC or LK as the principal officer or registered agent. Wouldn’t the LLC have to have the appropriate licensing to do renovation work in NJ? Where I live they need it for each county where they will do work too.

2 Likes

I predict more 3:30 am hate posts coming. How dare you all prove all the lies!!!

18 Likes

Hi KM! Are you joining us for the book discussions?

2 Likes

I’m sorry I’ve never read the book you’ve been discussing. I was busy shining the hump on my back while looking for someone to love me.

But iffn you rich horse folk will let me join maybe we can discuss another book like Oliver Twist.

31 Likes

You’re over thinking it. The only take away from the statement you can make is there is most likely an LLC. Somewhere. No guarantees it’s operating according to the law.

5 Likes

I just had (super special, expensive, high-class) sparkling water almost shot out my nose!!! :lol: Oh, I do hope you find someone to love you. I hear if you have them on payroll it helps. Just a little life hack I picked up here.

19 Likes

Us working stiffs will be in bed asleep. I’m hoping the early-retirees/lottery-winners among us will provide a synopsis when we awake.

8 Likes

Don’t forget insomnia. I can’t.

11 Likes

“Us working stiffs will be in bed asleep. I’m hoping the early-retirees/lottery-winners among us will provide a synopsis when we awake.”

I’m working on Asia time these days, yet I still miss the screeds when they go live. But, I guess that’s just the problem: I’m working for a living. Sigh. Sure, 100% more satisfaction of having earned it, but definitely at least 75% less faffing about and 100% less looking down on other workin’ stiffs. [Rosie the riveter icon here]

9 Likes

I’m with you there, too, MS. The pits.

4 Likes

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So glad you got that nasty wart with the hairs growing out of it removed from your nose!! Makes a huge difference.

By the way, I’m going to sue you for a new keyboard!!!

11 Likes