Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

I remember my grandparents’ party line. It was hell and no one was arguing, so I bet no one wanted to do a hearing that way.

2 Likes

Other states are conducting whatever emergency applications and hearings that they’re doing by teleconference right now.

4 Likes

Not on Zoom, right?

Can you imagine?! Maybe that’s the big concern: the security of the connection.

I just read about the prison in Chicago with a surge of COVID-19 cases. MB put himself in an awful position that no one could even know how terrible it would be now. He could easily get the virus while incarcerated. And I hope LK is in ultra lockdown: not at the barn, someone else doing the grocery shopping, no take out, etc. With the lung injury, she must be high risk. It is tragic how all this could have been avoided.

6 Likes

I imagine every jurisdiction’s IT department has a different set up. I know my court system is trying to incorporate what they can for the future as well.

5 Likes

Correction: They maintain their health insurance if they return to Alberta within the 6 month window. Annually. Kind of ironic huh how she trashes the country and province repeatedly that is the land of her birth and yet unfailingly returns within that window ostensibly to visit dear ole mom and unleash those amazing snowboard skills (joke) user/loser…

6 Likes

Well yes she’s nobody here never was (Alberta horse scene) anyone who even recognizes the name shrug Susan who ? A few who knew her in YR days say no riding talent. Her little gaggle of fans in Florida will be hosting her on their couches or haha big glam yachts! With her mangey mutt when she can’t pay the rent there anymore.

3 Likes

Is her dog mangy?

Old saying: Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. Lie down with SW get up daily for that poor mutt, likely PTSD. But maybe not mange.

Backtracking a few pages here and maybe somebody has already said this but: Although the police can’t compel witnesses, prosecutors can issue a grand jury subpoena that compels a witness to appear before the grand jury and give evidence/testify. Obviously they still have the right not to self-incriminate (and to have legal representation, though most witnesses don’t). To clarify, the grand jury is not the same jury that will ultimately decide the case. This would happen in the investigative phase, not during the trial. For whatever that’s worth…

3 Likes

What is it about crazy ladies and their out of control dogs?

3 Likes

Is it cruel and unusual to keep someone incarcerated with the risk of this virus,? Obviously I mean for lesser charges… But the question remains.

For the health of those inside, including COs… Fewer people would be better, no?

5 Likes

There are some prisons that have released inmates due to the virus. On what grounds and for which charges they were serving for, I’m not entirely sure.

5 Likes

I don’t think anybody said it in this thread but I think most of us know that a subpoena is a whole different kettle of fish.

No one is compelled to speak to the police beyond handing over a driver’s license & insurance card. You don’t have to discuss your destination, your plans, what is in the bag and for pity’s sake do not let them know you have cash. Civil forfeiture is still an issue.

ETA: not germane to the thread topic but here is a link to civil forfeiture if anyone is interested:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/collection/stop-and-seize-2/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_11&tid=lk_interstitial_manual_11&utm_term=.f441c92d09df

4 Likes

I would say so. Set aside the prisoners, it also increases the risks to the staff and you don’t want them very sick and yet in charge of the most dangerous convicts.

3 Likes

Probably minor charges relative to the others.

Historical reading time!

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4575142?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

3 Likes

Many jurisdictions have already released nonviolent offenders early for exactly this reason. Thousands have been released.

I’d add that MB is not yet a convicted criminal but awaiting trial. In jurisdictions with bail.bond he would have spent the last 8 months as a free man. It does seem wrong to keep a person awaiting trial in jail during the pandemic. On the other hand, I don’t know what kind of facility he is in. Typically people awaiting trial don’t get sent to federal penitentiaries.

9 Likes

Exactly. His life could be in jeopardy as he awaits trial. While in other times he would have, could have been out on bail.

Any jail, with the population density, would be a risk, including county jails.

5 Likes

Absolutely, MB has not been convicted. My understanding is that NJ does not have a traditional bail system in the sense that pre trial release is just yes/no based on the risk of flight or further offenses, and is not based on posting monetary bond, for the purposes of equity.

In a traditional monetary bond system, we don’t know if he would have been denied bail altogether or released on $1,000,000 bond. The judge in the release/“bail” hearing said that he feared that MB would have been a danger to others but also himself.

It would be further tragedy if MB contracted Covid and died prior to the trial. But LK faces higher risk of respiratory distress due to the damage to her lungs from the bullet shots. Whatever sympathy I have for MB facing greater risk of contacting the disease, it’s secondary to the higher risk faced by his victim.

Presumably his lawyers are asking for monitored interim release.

He’s being prosecuted by the state of NJ. Why would he be in a federal penitentiary before or after trial?