Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

Next week this time it will all be over and things can return to a new normal for many people.

6 Likes

Pass, thanks.

It’s hard enough to see her old posts that people will occasionally link or screenshot to illustrate the… inconsistencies.

15 Likes

Do we think it would be better to start a new thread? That’s not hard to do if it would improve the BB function.

And many people have lost a great friend. A life long friend to so many. I get choked up over it all. Just heartbreaking.

11 Likes

I am getting the same spinning and errors in little tiny unrelated threads. I don’t think it is a problem with THIS thread but with the BB. It might be the extra traffic because of this topic, but not necessarily this thread.

4 Likes

I think if he can get a not guilty by insanity and self defense then he has a chance to go on with his life. He may be institutionalized and treated for a time but that may be a short time. If he is not guilty then SafeSport might reinstate him. I said before he may feel he has nothing to lose to fight it all the way.

Some have said he still has a chance for just a plain not guilty. If so, then he really has cause to fight it.

If he is convicted of attempted murder or attempted manslaughter but someone said that would be aggravated assault in New Jersey then SafeSport may keep the ban on him. He is 57 I think, 10 years with time served would put him at 64 maybe and with a SafeSport ban.

So fight fight fight.

This whole situation is horrible and sad.

7 Likes

I don’t think he is going anywhere. We shall see but my money is in “ Not Guilty”.

9 Likes

I’m just scratching my head over the train of thought by the prosecution team on that one. How did they even come to know about that fire? Did they just Google his name to see if there was any random thing in his background that they could possibly bring up? And then try to figure out a way to somehow shoehorn it into the cross examination?

Just to review, so far, in addition to all the local people who knew and worked with MB for years, and did not have a bad word to say about him, now we have people with a combined total of four Olympic medals vouching for his character. One bronze medal in dressage, and three gold medals in eventing, to be precise.

And the star witnesses for the prosecution were… LK, RG, and LK’s bombshell ear witness lawyer?

20 Likes

Wow! Thank you @hut-ho78! For once in a long time I agree with you.

8 Likes

At first I wondered why he asked that question as well but then thought it was a way to show that LKs concern about the dryer and calling the fire marshal was well founded and not just another way to harass MB.

When coming up with a witness list, other than giving opposing counsel the names, does anyone know what other information they are required to share? Do they need a reason the name is on the list?

2 Likes

Well… I agree with this post.

I think that the odds are SUBSTANTIAL that he may end up plain “not guilty” because of a combination of the prosecution’s case having some holes with respect to evidence that the police did and did not gather, & the two primary prosecution witnesses having serious credibility problems. And combine that with some degree of jury nullification, and I think MB may well walk.

It’s a significant risk though, as far as a defense strategy goes

5 Likes

I imagine they went over the defense witness list with LK and daddy and when she saw Dutton’s name she rejoiced that they finally had proof barn fires are dangerous. As arrogant and cocky as that family is, they probably expected the defense witnesses to be worthless.

Regardless what others have said, I think Bilinkas has done an amazing job and was brilliant in having Deniniger handle most of today with the powerfully emotional witnesses.

22 Likes

Yeah, no, I don’t want to hear a word out of her after this is done. I had little respect for her based on the way she handled herself after the shooting, and I have nothing in me for her now.

32 Likes

The theory about showing LK’s concern was genuine would be a little hard for anyone to swallow if they actually saw RG’s testimony, where he virtually admitted that the whole thing with the report about the dryer was motivated by spite.

I am a little curious about how they get the witnesses. Maybe some of our kind and helpful legal minds can answer my questions.

Do they have to issue a subpoena for every witness? Like Philip Dutton, for example? Or can they just ask them to come in without a subpoena? And if someone does not want to come in to testify, is that when they need to issue a subpoena and provide a reason for it to the judge? Or to someone else who would authorize a subpoena?

2 Likes

Good question. I am wondering how this works too.

2 Likes

Is the trial over for today? I’m not getting anything on youtube?

2 Likes

Omg. That escaped my notice at the time. But now I’m still laughing. Thanks.

4 Likes

Yes it’s over till tomorrow

2 Likes

What an eye-opening post. Thank you for sharing your experiences. This thread has been very educational in many ways, particularly about the struggle of addicts and their loved ones. I know every family has their struggles, and I have been lucky to not have had personal experience with addict behavior. The strength and love that you and @Ambitious_Kate and others have shown in loving their children/step children through their struggles is to be commended.

6 Likes

It’s done for today. There are 4 witnesses scheduled for tomorrow. 2 lay people, and 2 expert witnesses.

5 Likes