Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

Good grief. I didn’t miss that at all. In the post of mine you just quoted I said plainly that the prosecutor must prove the elements of his own case. Do you think Bilinkas will not attempt to affirm insanity because he’s so sure that the prosecution has not met it’s burden on its own case?

They can only call witnesses that can specifically rebut the testimony (which they don’t know what the testimony is yet). Thus, yes, you can do it that way, but it’s not usually what you want to do, because you don’t know specifically what that witness will be allowed to rebut.

Also, relying on rebuttal witnesses is risky, because the judge doesn’t have to allow it due to time constraints and respect for the jury. Otherwise the case could go on ad infinitem with new people being produced to rebut what the rebuttal said until nobody has any idea what is true or not.

18 Likes

Sidebar. Again.

If I think of it tomorrow, I might run a stopwatch to keep track of exactly how much time in the day is spent on the combined sidebars.

5 Likes

Another sidebar

Please explain this further. I have no idea what this means…can you explain to us as though several of us are 6th graders please?

3 Likes

Maybe he was going to fix the fire detectors. He thought they moved out (like he did) and needed to house himself and his employees. Brought the gun in case they showed back up.

I loved the hay guy. What a genuine person

11 Likes

Yes. I need this explained to me as well.

1 Like

I assume the state has its own expert psych witness prepared to testify on whether or not MB met the legal standard for insanity.

Would you have expected such a witness to testify as part of the initial prosecution case, before the defense attempted to establish that MB was insane?

And he had the decency to wear a suit and tie. That does not come easy for those in his field.

29 Likes

My best guess would be MB was aware that LK/RG were still in the house and not aware the evacuation order had been lifted.

As far as the timeline of trouble. I’ve certainly seen scenarios with barn boarders, or volunteer organizations, or even students, where someone is a problem. But initially their conflicts are not with the top ranking decision makers but with the lower ranked people who deal with them face to face. They can do things like provoke conflict that make s it seem they are the injured party. While it still sucking up to the higher ranked person.

Eventually the lid blows off and the person faces consequences or is kicked out. But it can be difficult in the meantime for the lower level folks that deal direct or are targeted by the crazy person if they are not believed. Told you are over reacting or not diplomatic enough or even caused the problem. Then later that you were totally right.

Based on my experience I could totally see a situation in April where LK was harassing MHG in away that wasn’t obvious to MB. Later of course he realized that it was all true.

10 Likes

Let me just say if I knew I was going to be anywhere near that dog, I’d be packing heavy heat for sure. I can even believe that dog was taught to attack/bite viciously.

10 Likes

So MB told the paramedics all he remembered was a woman coming down the driveway saying she was going to take the kids.

10 Likes

Gaslighting 101 - horse people version.

9 Likes

Yep! Anyone who has a farm (or anyone for that matter) should have a guy in their life like the hay guy!

13 Likes

Too late!

1 Like

Yes, because what if the defense doesn’t call the psychological expert? You’re toast.

1 Like

He didn’t see all their vehicles parked there?

3 Likes

Agreed. I’d love to meet him and the surgeon for a drink one day.

2 Likes

I have to say it seems like both of the EMS witnesses came today better prepared to testify than LK’s lawyer this morning.

I think the second EMS worker even brought her own copy of her EMS report from that day!

Edited to add: And the last witness brought his own glasses! Yay.

12 Likes

I thought the same thing!