Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

When you make an affirmative defense, you are essentially saying that “if what the plaintiff (here, the state) says is true, I am less/not responsible than I would otherwise be due to some permitted mitigating factor”

Thus, the idea of self defense or insanity means that even if the prosecution proves every element of their case, the defendant is trying to prove that there is a factor that absolves them of responsibility. The state must then prove, as a final facet of their case, that the defendant’s assertion of action in self defense or lack of sound mind is not true.

I don’t know how NJ treats this, formally. However, I did uncover the jury instructions for NJ and they contain a third standard that my state does not have:

The burden of proof is upon the State to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant knew he/she could have retreated with complete safety. If the State carries its burden then you must disallow the defense. If the State does not satisfy this burden and you do have a reasonable doubt, then it must be resolved in favor of the defendant and you must allow the claim of self defense and acquit the defendant.

24 Likes

I missed the “hay guy”! He must not have testified long. Was he on this morning?

You should watch the replay. He’s a good guy

3 Likes

I wish we could dispense with “In the presence of Almighty God”. Why not use something like “by the authority given this court by the Great State of New Jersey” or the like?

10 Likes

He was on this morning. MB had hired him to watch the barn because he was worried about “the girl living in the house” but he said he never met LK.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

1 Like

WOW!! Thank you! So, to be sure I comprehend, the State must prove MB knew he had the ability to retreat and that would mean leaving the immediate vicinity he was in?

We do not cite God at all nor use a Bible. In a courtroom you raise your hand and repeat “Do you swear or affirm that the testimony you are about to give is full and true to the best of your knowledge?”

When I swear a document outside a courtroom I don’t make then lift their hand. I have them sign to affirm they are telling the truth, I sign my initials and do a very brief are you telling the truth kind of thing.

The public is not easy to work with in a legal setting and I considered it a good day if they were wearing pants.

14 Likes

But you can’t retreat if you get jumped and pummeled to the ground.

20 Likes

Like horse people!

6 Likes

Soooo… just to make sure I am understanding it correctly…

If the state fails to prove the attempted murder charge, beyond a reasonable doubt, in the minds of the jurors…

But also…

The defense fails to prove the affirmative defense of self defense/insanity beyond a preponderance of the evidence…

The jurors should vote not guilty?

I ask this specific question because there is this other argument being made by another internet/YouTube attorney that in this situation, the jurors can convict on a downgraded charge. The YouTube attorney seems to be pointing at “attempted manslaughter “ as a possible downgraded charge that Barisone might end up convicted of.

Last thing… I tried to see if there is an “attempted manslaughter” charge in NJ… and all I am finding is second degree attempted murder (as opposed to first degree, which is what Barisone has been charged with).

I forgot about the vehicles parked there. Even so, that doesn’t negate the theory that he probably expected the house to be empty so was surprised to see the vehicles. And was jumped when he tried to ask them what was going on.

3 Likes

If they were supposed to be evicted, he might have thought they left the property after the incident with the farrier. The implication is if he didn’t expect them to be there when he left the barn, would he have taken the gun?

3 Likes

I would say so.

The finding must always be in favor of the defendant if there is reasonable doubt that the defendant either committed the act in question to the standard required (eg attempted murder is a different standard than aggravated assault) OR if the defendant would be criminally culpable if there is a mitigating standard such as self defense.

If they doubt that the defendant did what the prosecution said he did for the reasons they said he did it, or they believe he might have acted in self defense or not been of sound mind, then the finding must be not guilty.

I do not believe that NJ has attempted manslaughter, I believe the charge would be aggravated assault, but I am not an attorney in the state of NJ.

13 Likes

I would think there would be some leeway for witnesses that object. For instance, if they say, “I’m not a Christian,” wouldn’t the judge allow them to take a modified oath w/o placing their hand on the Bible and saying “Almighty God”?

Does “attempted manslaughter” even exist? I thought manslaughter was for when someone’s actions led to a death, but they did not intend for the death to happen. So wouldn’t “attempted manslaughter” just be plain old assault?

3 Likes

That’s what I thought too.

Also relevant is the testimony today from all the people who crossed paths with MB on August 6th and 7th.

They all agreed that he was pretty much a basket case by that point, so he may not have even noticed the other vehicles when he got to the house.

5 Likes

In some states it does exist, in others it’s aggravated assault.

5 Likes