Unlimited access >

Barisone Trial This Month

Oh, but Bilinkas explained how they were consistent. Barisone had a mental breakdown, and was delusional when he thought he needed to shoot in self defense!

3 Likes

Iā€™m intrigued by this thought.
What makes you doubt the childhood trauma allegation?

7 Likes

LOL. The fact that it was spouted by a defense lawyer who is grasping at straws to get his client off.

11 Likes

Both of Barisoneā€™s defenses (insanity and self defense) are affirmative defenses, which means that he is acknowledging that he did the shooting, but is claiming that he is not responsible for attempted murder because of the circumstance of insanity or self defense.

With an affirmative defense, the prosecutor does not have the burden of proof to establish that MB did the shooting (thatā€™s already been affirmed by the defendant). Instead the defense has the burden of proof to establish the circumstances of insanity and/or self defense.

I am not a lawyer, but thatā€™s what Wikipedia said.

13 Likes

Oh, so not because you know him, or his family, or people who knew/know them?

Thanks for clarifying.

16 Likes

Correct. I donā€™t know Barisone, or his family, or people who knew him.

Iā€™m generally familiar with the types of things defense lawyers allege to try to gain sympathy for their clients. Iā€™ve read about the things Bilinkas in particular alleged about his previous client and her victim.

Did you read about the Elizabeth Holmes trial? Defense attorneys claimed she committed massive securities fraud due to being abused and manipulated by her boyfriend. Itā€™s what defense attorneys do.

7 Likes

Yep. And some of the time its true.
Which will come out in the wash.

16 Likes

I donā€™t disagree. Had LK been less, well, LK then perhaps it would have been easier to be less sympathetic to MB.

Right now, frankly, sheā€™s his best defense.

38 Likes

Thatā€™s a real reach when LKā€™s filed civil claims against a hundred different people. Had she badly wanted to avoid a trial, sheā€™d have not filed any civil claims. Sheā€™s happy to say, and all appearances support, that she has plenty of money.

24 Likes

No doubt there. 100% agree.

9 Likes

I said ā€œthe trialā€ and thought it was obvious that ā€œthe trialā€ meant the criminal trial being discussed in the thread. So, to clarify, LK had no opportunity to avoid the criminal trial.

ETA. Re bolded. What are the 99 civil cases sheā€™s filed other than the one she filed against Barisone, SGF and Ruth Cox?

2 Likes

If that makes you feel betterā€¦ But if she really didnā€™t want any more to do with it at all, sheā€™d have dropped her civil complaint/s. Then maybe Iā€™d feel bad for her that sheā€™s moved on and is being dragged through it again 3 years later.

And OK, maybe 100 is a slight exaggeration, but if I remember correctly, as I havenā€™t reread the original complaint in a long time, but her legal team included a whole list of people, named and unnamed, in her civil complaint.

She comes back here trying to stir up trouble where none existed for months over a long dormant thread. My armchair opinion is that she actually likes the attention, and a criminal trial is exactly what she wants. If it settled with a plea deal, would 48 Hours bother to air her story and extend her 15 minutes of fame?

26 Likes

to be fair she made one comment to start and there wasā€¦dozens? after, some posters had multiple comments and then started the personal attacks. Itā€™s hard to say to her not to post here or in those threads, when those posters are replying and stirring the pot just as much. Both sides equally guilty.

2 Likes

But to what end? Sheā€™s very adept at using DMs here - Iā€™ve certainly gotten them from her. If she wasnā€™t looking to stir the pot, all she had to do was DM the mods and it would have been archived with no attention whatsoever. Or just left it alone and it likely never would have come back up at all. With the subtle taunting of the mods in her posting? Thatā€™s not particularly in line with someone who wants to avoid any further attention regarding the shooting.

38 Likes

(Saying mildly) If LK hadnā€™t HERSELF revived a long-dormant thread, there would have been no ā€œdozensā€, ā€œmultiple commentsā€, or ā€œpersonal attacks.ā€

36 Likes

ok but if everyone just ignored them wouldnā€™t that be better? If everyone here is saying itā€™s for attention, why bite?

@rothmpp I wasnā€™t referring to DMs. I never said anything about her intentions in commenting so donā€™t put words in my mouth. I have no idea what the intentions were and frankly I donā€™t care. Itā€™s a message board. As it has been discussed before I think people are well aware of what they are dealing with.

1 Like

Never ok

1 Like

I did not say that she ā€œdidnā€™t want any more to do with it.ā€ I said that only Barisone and not LK had the opportunity to avoid the criminal trial, despite the inevitability of everyone having to relive the tragedy during the trial.

Anything can happen in a jury trial, especially with an insanity defense. I see her civil suit as a backup
plan for a moral victory (akin to the Ron Goldman civil suit against OJ). Realistically, how is Barisone going to pay a big judgement if she wins her civil case? Did OJ ever pay the civil judgement to the Goldman family?

As I recall, her civil suit is against Barisone, SGF, and RC. In civil suits itā€™s common to add lots of Jane Does and John Does and Company XYZs just to make sure no one is left out.

What difference does it make whether she ā€œwantsā€
or doesnā€™t want a criminal trial? She had no control over whether it happens; Barisone did.

Itā€™s not going to be settled in a plea deal because MB rejected the deal. Thatā€™s the actual information in the article.

3 Likes

She asked the mods why that dormant thread had not been archived, when the mods had archived all the other Barisone threads. Perhaps she knew actual news was coming out and wanted to get it archived before the new threads appeared.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to put words in your mouth. It is an extension of the discussion about Currentlyhorselessā€™s comment about LK not getting a say in MB going to trial. CH seemed to be reaching for a ā€œsheā€™s such a traumatized victim who just wants to move onā€ vein, and Iā€™ve pointed out the inconsistencies of LKā€™s behavior vs that sentiment.

LK wanted that thread locked? DM the mods. Donā€™t rile up the herd by posting on it and bringing it to the top.

Thatā€™s it. Anything else you read into what I said, well I canā€™t do anything about that.

23 Likes