Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

So sorry. But this excludes him unless further such emoyment can be demonstrated by “the worker”.

6 Likes

Was he working for another employer in New Jersey? I thought someone said he normally worked for a guy in North Carolina?

He was terminated for drug induced disappearing in NC.

He worked for LK and received compensation from her in NJ. That makes him LKs employee.

15 Likes

Are you conflating Independent Contractor with Licensed Contractor?

6 Likes

No, read the article.

Can that be brought up during the civil trial?

2 Likes

I did. Can you please direct me to the paragraph that discusses how employee status affects unlicensed construction work in NJ? Because I’m not seeing it.

6 Likes

Hehehe somebody didn’t answer my post…

Gee I wonder why?

12 Likes

I got a great answer to that last night! And it’s not quoting right but credit to @mbdsea

“That’s a good question. So, the general rule is that hearsay (an out of court statement offered for the truth of the matter it asserts - note that “out of court” includes prior court proceedings) is not admissible. However, there are exceptions that are not hearsay - for prior inconsistent statements, e.g., someone testified differently prior in a deposition or at trial, or it contains an admission of a party-opponent, e.g., if MB’s attorney offers LK’s prior statement as some type of admission on the part of LK. Or the other way around. Usually, in a civil case, we impeach with deposition testimony. But since trial testimony is subject to cross, a court would probably allow it to the extent the prior testimony was inconsistent with what is being said NOW or is an admission of the party-opponent. (This excludes third-party admissions, though not third party inconsistent statements).

Note that a party cannot offer his or her OWN out of court statement into evidence. That’s hearsay, and courts are unlikely to allow it.

ETA: Hearsay seems harder than it is. I remember taking the bar exam, and thinking, “that’s all it is?” Basically, if you hear “he told me” (or “she told me”) on the witness stand, and the “he” or “she” isn’t the opposing party, it’s hearsay. LOL. Lots of exceptions to the hearsay rule, though”

Now but check out what it was in the past. If any relative owned any amount of land a trust would have been smart.

6 Likes

Neither of Lauren’s sisters has a law degree or attended any law schools. Both work in staffing/recruitment, which is what brought them to their respective husbands.

5 Likes

Good point. It was lower in previous years :slight_smile:

1 Like

I could of sworn I saw NYU law somewhere. Maybe that’s one of the husbands. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Emily met her husband while working at an NYU Law Grad hiring event, where she interviewed him for a Summer job at the firm she had been given a job at.

8 Likes

Completely agree with your entire post.

This. The only way in which you can say she ‘went to NYU law school’ is as a recruiter. At the top schools, the firms come to you. You bid on the ones you want to interview with and get assigned interview spots. You meet somewhere on campus and do your interviews. The firms send a couple attorneys (usually at least one partner to schools they are interested in, but also some associates including some quite junior associates who can tell students what it’s like being new at the firm). I used to go for my firm. It was a fun boondoggle.

If you do well in the on-campus interview, you do call backs/fly backs to the city where the firm is based. There you do a half day of interviews in the firm’s offices. If they like you they offer you a summer job.

This is not for grads, this is for 2nd year law students. You do your summer job between 2nd and 3rd (final) years. If you do well, you get your offer for a job after graduation/bar exam.

The firms have in-house recruiting staff. They coordinate a lot of this process and sometimes they attend the on-campus interviews as coordinating support for the attorneys who are doing the interviews. They also coordinate the summer programmes which often involve trips and entertainment, etc. This is the job the sister had.

As an aside, it would have been SUPER frowned upon for them to be romantically involved at my firm in NY. One attorney dated someone in HR and they got married and he was asked to leave, not her. While some take the job hoping they will meet a rich lawyer spouse, it’s really looked down on to do that and not tolerated at good places.

13 Likes

They raised the kids in Essex County, NJ, and they would have been in high school in the late 90’s, early aughts.

I’m pretty sure the public schools in that area during that time frame were considered EXCELLENT. So - I can understand that choice for these folks. The trade off is the high property taxes, and other taxes they paid to live in that area of NJ. Much much much higher than other areas of the country.

6 Likes

Aaaah. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I think you mean Chem Trails, not Contrails. Then, there are the ones who think the black helicopters are actually alien ships, and the pilot is part of the control system, and part of the alien hive trying to take us over.

4 Likes

They think that contrails are chemtrails. Maybe that’s what BrownDerby meant. In any case, it’s pretty loony.

4 Likes