Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

I remember seeing that on the news. I can’t remember the state but if it was in MI, it had to have made national news, as I am in GA. Of course, it could have been a cable news outlet I was watching (don’t remember), but even so - it had to have been a rather big and unusual story to be picked up by cable news.

It’s a bit troubling how far behind current technology is regarding our current legal system. Even though there were cameras, computers, etc. in the courtroom for the MB trial, simple things were overlooked (like not having a decent laser pointer).

And I wished when every single witness took the stand, the first thing they were asked was, “Have you watched any video of the proceedings from this trial?”

10 Likes

Question: Was this Judge Taylor’s first contact with the witnesses (other than RC)?

Or had he met them previously? Like in the evidentiary hearing or another type of hearing?

3 Likes

Or they choose to spin it that way, to suit their drama needs.

13 Likes

I’m in AZ, and I don’t remember what I was watching that I saw that, but it was wild.

Technology definitely moves faster than the law.

Mr B is definitely worth watching. I read a lot of early commentary (not here) where people thought he was doing such a bad job and I kept thinking, am I watching the wrong trial? Those long pauses with that look over the top of his glasses were certainly effective.

23 Likes

Does anyone know if Michael has been moved from the jail yet?

2 Likes

RG was definitely in the courtroom for the arraignment. I imagine, as alleged victims, they would have been allowed there for other hearings. Judge T would have known who they were by their presence, but that wouldn’t necessarily include interactions.

3 Likes

Another question re: the “source of funds.” I don’t have kids and don’t have personal experience with this, but aren’t there such things as educational trusts or educational IRAs many parents use to save $$$ for their kids’ education? And aren’t contributions to those “pre-tax”? So a parent can reduce his/her tax liability by contributing funds to such an account?

If so, I wonder if the K’s had such accounts for their kids and instead of using hers to finish college, LK is using hers for her “dressage education”? Is that feasible - or do the funds from those accounts have to be used for an accredited institution?

Idle musings before I head out for the day…

1 Like

Yes. The “Who does that?” look. LOL.

11 Likes

Imagine being in a board/training barn situation and your thoughts are to put recording devices throughout the complex. I certainly understand a recorder in a private apartment, but no where else. How many private offices have you rummaged through, looking at contracts and learning to forge signatures? And these people thought that was acceptable behavior? There is no valid excuse - NONE. If you are that concerned about something, you get the heck out!

I mean seriously think about this!

28 Likes

There are but they are to be used for qualified educational expenses and the administrators can (and do) ask for and receive receipts, etc. I guess people can (and do!) play circle games with it but that can lead to some ugly situations if they are caught.

ETA: 529 plans

3 Likes

He has not.

3 Likes

So Taylor’s first real interaction with them was when they were on the stand?

Asking because despite him shutting down Mr. B at every opportunity, there were times when LK and RG were starting to spin in circles with their testimony and there was little objection from either the prosecutor or the judge. It seemed kind of like they were thinking, “Dear Lord.” :laughing:

8 Likes

Who are the administrators? Can a parent be an administrator?

There was at least one moment with where RG was talking in circles and Judge T told him to just answer the question. But for the most part, he let them impeach themselves.

Even Judge T was probably thinking, “Who Does That?”

15 Likes

If she was getting training from a former Olympian and moving towards her Bronze, I can see a rationale for using tax deducted dollars that were designated for education.

For a state 529 plan the parents are NOT the administrators.

Information I presume most readers know, but I will lay out anyway.

If they use an IRA (for the sake of simplicity let’s say a Roth IRA), the owner of the IRA can spend the money however they wish. But how much money you can put in an IRA is a lot less than what you can put in a 529. Now if you borrow against your 401K, the limit is whatever the plan says it is and there are forms for the spouse to sign (if married), a repayment plan and so on.

The 529 plans that I know the most about (very little - I had gifttrusts set up back when a closed gift trust was still in existence) are run by states. If you use the one for your home state you also lower your state taxable income.

4 Likes

529 plan funds must be used at an accredited institution. UGMA, UTMA, and ESA accounts are different as they’re custodial accounts.

A UGMA and UTMA can be used to gift 16k per year tax free to the named beneficiary and the beneficiary takes control of the account at 18 or 21 years old, however, they have no tax advantage after the child is 18 or 21.

8 Likes

I don’t. He isn’t a certified educator nor is his business a school.

It is one thing to use it on a community college, or VoTech school but they have to submit a LOT of paperwork justifying it. I don’t see Michael Barisone bothering and qualifying.

7 Likes

What Lazaret said and so much better than I did. Thank you!

1 Like

Also 529 plans have a maximum value limit, depending on the state they are formed in, it’s $300k-$500k.

If it’s not used for education, any portion thereof not used needs to be transferred to another beneficiary or withdrawn at the usual income tax + 10% penalty on the earnings.

6 Likes