Unlimited access >

Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

That is not what the verdict means.

12 Likes

That isnā€™t really the verdict.

6 Likes

Ummā€¦the Ann Klein Forensic Center, here in NJ, is a HELL HOLE from what Iā€™ve read!!! Iā€™m now wondering if this will do more harm than goodā€¦letā€™s pray Iā€™m wrong!!!

7 Likes

I think the justice system worked in this case. I hope he gets the help he needs.

6 Likes

I can only imagine the emotions MB is feeling re this verdict, and what a win for Mr. B.

I hope he gets the help that he needs. Will be interesting to see how the civil stuff shakes out.

7 Likes

What? How do you figure?

NGRI is still NG.

13 Likes

My take and last postā€¦
I consider this a good outcome. The jury found that he did shoot her and was guilty of attempted murder but that he did not bear liability because of his mental illness. After reading news reports and recaps her e (thanks to you who did that), I thought the state proved its case. The finding of insanity is so subjective, I canā€™t objectively judge itā€™s rightness. The length of deliberations showed jurors were challenged and probably divided.
But this does not wipe the slate.
Barisone will remain confined at least until the May court date. The judge may continue confinement or supervised release. There may be restrictions on his movement and activities, to remain in NJ for one. Maybe he will not be able to work as a teacher. Those at least until a later date and an evaluation he does not pose a risk to himself and others.s
As far as the spo rts bans, I imagine appeals and decisions will wait until his involvement with the court is permanently over.
Then, those will be hard decisions. He has been found to have committed a violent act, even if found not liable. He has been found to have a serious mental disorder. SS and USEF donā€™t have the same burden for a ban as for a criminal decision. Like I said, hard decisions.
I will echo "leave your guns at home, " even donā€™t have a gun.
I will add this case has lots of lessons. If a business, operate within best practices. Look for compr omise, not confrontation.
For all of us, itā€™s horses and riding. Keep that in perspective and temper your emotions. If you canā€™t, you likely need some mental health assistance.
Ride well and prosper!

20 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the next issue. It is true that mental facilities can actually worsen mental health issues in some cases. Youā€™d think we wouldā€™ve improved that in this day and age, but unfortunately not.

I wonder if he can make it through there and perhaps be released/proceed with therapy with a good Dr./facility.

6 Likes

Sentencing for what? Heā€™s free. He is having a civil stay at a heavy duty psych facitility because of his mental state. Thereā€™s no sentencing. Even that is only for 30 days, and he has a date for a hearing in May to be released. If he needs more psychiatric care, I hope he can go to a better, kinder facility in May, or have an outpatient plan.

Thereā€™s no ā€œsentencingā€. Heā€™s not guilty.

42 Likes

Glad that justice has been served and he get the help he needs

3 Likes

This verdict makes me happy.

I wonder what Bob is saying about it.

14 Likes

That poor guy. He looked absolutely haunted when they were waiting for the verdict. It made me feel a bit better to see him at the end of the court session when the realization that his long nightmare was finally over. He looked like a ton of sorrow was lifted from his shoulders.

His attorneys were also quite emotional after the verdict.

As others have expressed, I hope he gets the help he needs and continues to have love and support from all his friends and family.

39 Likes

Oh hell, I just accidentally deleted my comment!

Here we go againā€¦

That poor guy. He looked absolutely haunted while they were waiting for the verdict. When they got to the end of the court session, he was starting to look a little better, perhaps realizing that his long nightmare was finally over (or at least starting to be over).

It was notable that his attorneys were also quite emotional.

As others have mentioned, I hope he gets the help he needs and gets love and support from his friends and family.

Very interesting trial, glad he didnā€™t take a plea. But a brutal experience to wait for and live through the trial.

Godspeed MB!

13 Likes

This seems fair and I think he has suffered more than enough. Hopefully the two offenders will think twice before they pull this crap on the next unsuspecting person. I would imagine theyā€™re both pariahs at this point, I wouldnā€™t go near them with a twenty foot pole. Theyā€™re lucky they encountered someone who left them alive. I remember my firearms training many years ago informing us that you only shoot to kill, both because you need to completely eliminate the threat to your life and because you never want to leave a survivor to contradict your narrative. They may not be so lucky next time.

15 Likes

Let Justice be done.

I think my key takeaways, as a BO, are:

1. VET YOUR CLIENTS VERY CAREFULLY.

2. Then, VET THEM AGAIN.

3. Say NO to sketchy clients!

63 Likes

I would love to read/hear an interview with the attorneysā€¦if anyone comes across one in the near future post it here!

5 Likes

That is not the case. The state proved that he shot her beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense proved that he was insane. Much evidence in the trial showed that he was suffering from mental illness long before Lauren and Rob came along including info from his own testimony.

6 Likes

Which is my point.

2 Likes

This is laurens mother btw. I was there at the trial everyday it was in session. Kirby

3 Likes

Lauren must be so proud of herself - setting out to torment and destroy someone who had overcome and built so much and succeeding.

Well, at least he isnā€™t a liar & an addict.

I wonder if she came up with the black veil and ninja routine on her own or if that leaf was from the family tree.

64 Likes