Barn building - cost of stall fronts, doors, and recommendations

Looking to get some feedback from those who have had their barn built. Looking at different companies that supply stall fronts, aisle, and Dutch doors. Any care to weigh in on their experience (good and bad) with different companies and cost ranges? Is it common to see quotes in the $18-20k range for a 3 stall barn (3 stall fronts, 3-4 dutch doors, 1 full size aisle door).

We had custom stalls built about 5 or so years ago; 4 stalls, grills across the front with sliders, grills separating the stalls (powder coated), T&G fronts, sides and backs on every stall, stained and sealed, feed window on each stall. Total price was $14,000 installed. Company was in TN. We did not put dutch doors on the exteriors of the stalls as we had a 16ā€™ overhang and lived in a mild climate. I had some regrets about the powder coating on the grills.

I have a quote of $5k from a year ago for

• two stall fronts with sliding doors,
  • one partition with bars on top,
  • c-channels and stiffeners for one removable wall

This is just the metal stall parts and attachment hardware for ā€˜free standingā€™ type stalls ā€“ no wood is included.

I suspect it would be more if I re-quoted it ā€“ the price of steel has gone up since then.

Are yours fully framed and free-standing, or parts that you are building in? That changes the price.

OP. is the $20k for the complete barn including grading, foundation, electrical, water and finish-out? or are your referring to just the cost of the the stalls only?

Regarding the posterā€™s comment on powder coatingā€¦ there is standard for powder coating of application used within the industry by many of the powder coating companies BUT NOT ALL . The standards of the finish are A, B or C standards. So when buying a powder coated product ask and get in writing just what level of coating is applied and how the processes was done.
https://www.huimfg.com/powder-coat-pā€¦ards-template/

just because the product is ā€œpowder coatedā€ everyone thinks that it is the catā€™s meow but some is a very lightly applied product that does not resist conditions very well, even though the finished product is powder coated.

DO you have someone local who can just make them? It is a lot cheaper for me to do it that way than prefab.

check with a good local fence fabrication company

We installed plyco dutch doors in Minnesota and they were really fabulousā€“much better than the wood dutch doors on my barn now. Highly recommend. They cost about a grand each, iirc.

We replaced the large end doors on both ends of the barn last year. Cost maybe $6500? Used Barn Depot/Circle B out of Mass and do not recommend them (if you happen to be in this area.)

Anyone building new with options, remember one option that is best on stall fronts is to have the door in the middle, not one or the other end.

This way, when you open the stall door, there is room on both sides of it inside the stall, not a wall right there on one side and not the possibility of a horse in the nearby stall to make a threatening run into the corner of itā€™s stall and make your horse hurry thru that space.

Not every design will accomodate center doors, but if you can, think about that.

5 Likes

This is so true! Our circa 1900ā€™s pole barn determined where our stall doors could go - because the poles couldnā€™t be moved. The one stall where the door is in the middle is the easiest (and safest) to use by far.

When I was doing research 16+ years ago (I wanted pretty sliding doors), there were one or 2 companies that let you arrange different 4ā€™ panels to make a 12ā€™ stall front (like door, feed, hay, plain. etc.). I quickly realized these far exceeded our budget, but if someday I win the lottery, and build a barn from scratch, all my door will be in the middle.

We ordered our stall fronts, grills, and Dutch doors from Sunset Valley Metalcraft in PA. We are very happy with the quality and service. I also visited their workshop in person before ordering and overall was very impressed by them. They are reasonably priced for the quality. https://www.pacustomhorsestalls.com/

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1301182686632708&ref=content_filter

I am in the planning phases of barn construction so I am pricing a lot of things as well right now. Ramm Fencing is currently having their spring sale which includes many of their stall fronts/partitions. They seem to have multiple options based on needs/budget. A close friend has a barn under construction and I got to see hers recently, which were very nice. She said that the customer service relative to install is excellent, and to call with your exact dimensions so they can help you get exactly the items that you need. Another friend DIYed their fencing and said the same thing about their excellent customer service.

Check out ARC Stalls http://www.bendarc.com/arc-stall-photos/
About $600 for a 12ā€™ stall front with sliding door. Cost excludes lumber, need to buy that separately. We built 4 stalls with these kits, theyā€™re really great quality, rust-free aluminum, door hardware is solid and they look great. The owner was awesome, too-- we had odd dimensions due to an 1880s barn, and he cut stuff to custom lengths for me for no extra cost.

1 Like

Iā€™m in a similar boat, Iā€™ve got a 3 stall barn going up in May/June, and need to plan my stalls! Had to break it to a family member how much the Euro fronts cost, LOL. Iā€™m only going to need the 3 fronts and 1 grill partition. The Dutch doors and all other doors/windows come included with the barn kit. (Timber frame).

Why is that?

just saying ā€œpowder coatedā€ is similar as saying a watch can be a Rolex or a Tmex ā€¦there are many varying qualities of application of the finish. Powder coating is a process, just as a watch supposedly tells time.

Even within the industry there are various grades (A,B,C) of applicationā€¦ then there are those who just jump on the wagon to proclaim their product is powder coated who have little or no control on the application processā€¦but all is powder coated just as Rolex and Times are watches

When buying these high dollar finished stall fronts request in writing the manufacturerā€™s warranty and an explanation of the powder coating process used on their productsā€¦they know or at least should

I used to oversee a purchasing group for a manufacturer, well oversee is not quite the proper term I was the one who had to figure out why the product purchased did not meet expectations. Sometimes it was the manufacturer, sometimes it was the purchasing agent.

After 3 years the powder coat started coming off in many places. Clanter is right, not only is the quality important but the application process has to be done correctly. Maybe because we lived in a very hot humid climate contributed but after having to deal with it I wouldnā€™t choose it again.

here is a link to the powder coating industryā€™s oversight standards

ASTM International standard describes methods of preparing surfaces of hot-dip galvanized iron and steel for powder coating and the application of powder coating materials.

https://www.astm.org/cms/drupal-7.51/newsroom/powder-coating-standard-approved-astm-paint-committee

Yup, thatā€™s why Iā€™m so happy with the aluminum grills. So many stories of supposedly rust-free powder coated grills looking pretty rough a few years down the road. (Not to mention shipping costs are a lot less)

aluminium has its own issuesā€¦the finished product should say just what grade tube was usedā€¦6061-T6 is most commonly used in many products as it ā€œIt has above average corrosion resistance, good machinability, and is excellent for welding.ā€ā€¦ but there are many grades of aluminium tube

also usually the problem with aluminium tube fabrication is the welding, preparing to weld is differentā€¦

Aluminum oxide on the surface of the material melts at 3,700 F while the base-material aluminum underneath will melt at 1,200 F. Therefore, leaving any oxide on the surface of the base material will inhibit penetration of the filler metal into the workpiece

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/pages/guide-aluminum-welding-detail.aspx

just know your supplierā€™s warranty and how they backup the warranty

Good points-- as with any major purchase one must understand what youā€™re buying, and the usual rule that ā€œyou get what you pay forā€ applies. This particular system was interesting in that itā€™s not welded; the grill bars slip individually into a ā€œreceiverā€ hole, for lack of a better term.