Unlimited access >

Been through a lot with my horse, but wondering if it’s time to part ways. WWYD?

I got my first horse three years ago. I didn’t know anything about green horses or problem horses. But the buyers’ market was terrible, so I ended up buying a project horse through a connection of my trainer’s. It was with the understanding she would have to stay in a full training program.

Within the first week, it became obvious the horse had a serious rearing problem. Trainer advised sending her for a total restart from the ground. She spent 6 months with a professional rehabber, and in that time, she only got worse. The rehabber felt something must be physically wrong with her (though she had passed a PPE), but by that point, the vet couldn’t even get her to stand for an examination. Rehabber said I might just need to retire her, as it wouldn’t be honest or responsible to sell.

I ended up finding a dry stall advertised on Facebook for cheap. I would have to source my own hay, feed, shavings, and DIY all her care, which I had never done before. There was only 1 other retired horse on the property, and there would be no professional support. So, it wasn’t ideal. But I felt stuck and I was desperate to stop spending 4 figures each month in training board.

After I moved her, though, a strange thing happened. She started to settle down. Just 1 month after she left training, she could lead and stand tied. By the second month, she wasn’t giving the farrier any trouble, and she could lunge quietly at all gaits in both directions. A few more months passed, and I had the vet do a lameness evaluation when he came to do vaccinations. He said he couldn’t find any reason she would be unrideable.

At this point, no one had ridden her in about a year. I started lunging her in tack and with side reins, and after about 3 months of doing that daily, I got on with my husband there to spot me. She had 1 small rear right at the beginning, but then she went around quietly. We even did a few laps cantering each way.

I started riding her in the field every day and doing little trail rides around the farm. After a few months, I even set up cross rails and started jumping. We did not have much space, however, and the footing wasn’t great through winter. Also, she still had occasional tense moments where she would spook and dump me. I recognized she was too much horse for me, but we had made so much progress that I was optimistic we could pull it together with a competent pro. So, after I’d been riding her for about a year, I found a nearby show barn with an opening, met with the trainer and explained my situation and goals, and then paid to board her there for training.

I was relieved to get professional help because I felt maxed out in terms of what I could do with her. But when we moved, her behavior regressed. The trainer told me they didn’t work with horses with behavior problems like hers. She said I was welcome to bring in an insured outside trainer, but they weren’t going to ride her for me. We had talked extensively before I moved, so I was disappointed, as I wouldn’t have brought her there otherwise. But I ended up just doing groundwork with her daily for 2 months and then started her back again myself. After a month of solid riding and getting her behavior back on the level, I asked the training staff if they could start working with her.

This is where things took a turn. She started to get balky about transitions. The balkiness turned to spookiness. She started to get ring sour. Then there was an incident where she threw one of the trainers. Finally, after 3 months of start-and-stop pro rides (they never quite got her on a routine), she started rearing again and was no longer safe to ride. I admit, I wasn’t happy with them. But I also didn’t 100% blame them either. Previously, I had thought my first trainer and the rehabber were simply incompetent. But after this experience, I started to think it was more likely that my mare was the issue.

By this point, her ground manners were once again horrendous and she was a terror to deal with. We had the vet out and explored a few different possibilities. She went on antibiotics for Lyme and when she finished that, we started her on gastrogard for ulcers. The vet suggested regumate, but I had tried that previously with the rehabber and not seen a difference, so I declined.

I kept up with groundwork and went back to the very basics. Finally, after 3 months, I started riding again. But she was not at all the same horse. She was behind the leg and easily spooked. I got about 7 rides on her, and in 2 of those rides I had falls. That brings me to the present.

I’ve started to feel like the only solution is to move her. My sense is that there’s something about the barn environment that she simply doesn’t like or that makes her feel unsafe, and that may never change. Even at the best of times, we have never been at the level we were at before I moved her. But my concern is that I will run into these same problems at any boarding facility I try taking her to.

Moving her back where I had her before isn’t an option, as the property sold. But my long-term goal is to own a farm and have horses at home. I strongly believe she would thrive in an environment like that, and taking care of her brought me a lot of joy and fulfillment. Still, it’s at least a year away, and possibly more (or possibly less, if the right property comes up, but who knows if that will happen). So, one option is to move her to a retirement barn with lots of land and let her live in a field for a year or 2, then move her home when I have my own place. I would probably only see her a few times a month, and it would be sad, but it would be temporary.

However, another option recently materialized, and that’s to surrender her to a horse rescue. There’s a visiting trainer at the barn who runs a kind of horse rescue/sanctuary from her house. She’s familiar with my horse, rode her a few times while she was still in training, and she offered to take her from me.

I think any rational person would leap at the opportunity to walk away from a horse like mine. But it would absolutely break my heart to do that. She has been a huge part of my life for the past 3 years. Despite all the struggles, I feel like getting her as my first horse was a lucky break in its own way, because most amateurs never get to have an experience like that with a horse. I think taking care of her and working with her every day built trust and connection that changed her attitude about going under saddle. I know if it weren’t for that connection, I never would have been able to ride her to the extent that I have, because I realize now how just how green, naive, and early in my horse education I was when I got her.

Also, I feel hesitant to make such a major decision when she and I are at possibly our lowest point. Things feel hopeless right now, but I didn’t feel that way this time last year. I think I would handle things differently going forward. I would take my own training education more seriously and take lessons with the goal of learning to train rather than just ride. Then I would train her myself, instead of handing her off to someone else who she might not trust or respond well to.

At the same time, I worry an opportunity like this will never present itself again. She’s still relatively young, she’s still in work and going under saddle. After 1-2 years off, and 1-2 years older, permanent retirement or living at home with me really will be her only options. Whereas, while she may never be a “normal” horse, it’s possible this trainer could get something more out of her. She certainly likes her and thinks she can.

So, I am at a crossroads, and I genuinely don’t know what to do. Hands down, the easiest course would be to surrender her, walk away from the situation, and try again down the line with a more easygoing horse. But just because it’s easy, does that make it right?

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t let a horse like this out of my ownership unless a very specific scenario presented itself where it was clear she “clicked” with the new owner and was not unsafe with them, and they intended to keep her, house her in the way she needs, and the likelihood their ability to do that would change was small. That all is a tough ask, and a high bar.

Life is SO risky for useless horses. Moreso for horses that have shown themselves to be challenging and unsafe.

If you surrender this horse and find out later that she flipped and killed someone, how will you feel? If you find out later that she returned to her difficult self, and was sold at a livestock sale, to slaughter, how will you feel? Those are the risks, unfortunately.

As sad as it is, euthanizing a difficult horse is often a good solution. You can ensure her life ends peacefully, and you can ensure her quality of life until that point is good, and you can ensure she doesn’t hurt anyone until the day comes.

I’m very sorry your introduction to horse ownership has been so hard :frowning:

50 Likes

I would euthanize if you can not guarantee retirement. There is no way to let this horse go without the possibility that she could be moved on and seriously harm someone.

I have a horse that is similar. Great when things are low key and you aren’t asking anything from him. Reverts to dangerous when you actually try to ride. He has identified issues that probably cause him pain.

25 Likes

My opinion:

Props to you. You clearly have a good relationship with your mare. I applaud you for trying over and over again, and even making progress. That said…

This horse is eventually going to hurt someone. Probably you.

There are horses with a screw loose, that can not be fixed. A horse who is this unstable to new environments is unlikely to be a safe horse for any length of time. She rears, which is the cardinal sin, and the one most likely to kill you.

It doesn’t matter if her issues are physical or mental. She is unsafe, and UNHAPPY.

I would not relinquish ownership for the reasons @Simkie so clearly stated.

I would euth.

36 Likes

I think you need to let this horse go. I would be seriously considering euthanizing or finding a giant pasture you can retire her in, if you’re financially comfortable supporting her in retirement. Her issues sound pretty major and unpredictable enough that I’d never fully trust her again.

I wouldn’t be comfortable selling a horse like this even with full disclosure, there’s just too big a risk of her ending up in a bad situation down the road. The rescue seems very suspicious to me too - that trainer is almost certainly hoping to flip her and make a profit, otherwise she’d be offering you a spot for retirement board.

Not to discount the work you’ve done with your mare, but be careful with this line of thinking. Plenty of amateurs bring along their own horses and develop deep trust and connection over time. You can get just as much satisfaction from working with a horse that doesn’t have severe behavioral issues. It’s still plenty challenging and frustrating and rewarding, but without the serious risk to your life. Relying on a bond to overcome problems of this magnitude is something that mostly only happens in the movies - in the real world horses like this are best retired, put to sleep, or left to experienced professionals that have developed the skills needed to rehabilitate these issues.

33 Likes

My immediate reaction was “hand over the lead rope and run.”

But in reality I’d need to know a whole lot more about the situation she was going into. We see some pretty terrible stories on here about horses supposedly going off to good situations only to end up straight on a slaughter truck, or being flipped to innocent strangers.

I’d be really, really cautious about this. It smells wrong to me.

And I wouldn’t be riding this horse if I were you. You could get yourself killed or seriously injured in a heartbeat. Horses are dangerous enough as it is.

16 Likes

The trouble with unpredictable, dangerous bad actor horses is not that they may hurt the owner that cares and wants to do best for the horse they love, but that others also have to be around that horse and may get injured.

The responsible way is to euthanize such a horse, for everyone’s sake, the horse acting up also showing that is not happy at all with life to the point of being a danger to others and probably to itself.

I am sure the OP has heard the “euthanize” advice plenty in the 3 years, from vets, professionals and anyone that saw horse in bad moments.
Not sure that was the question, but if continuing with the horse, how and if letting it go to the rescue is really in the best interest of the horse.

If OP lets the horse go to the rescue, with full disclosure as she is presenting, then horse is out of her hands, don’t think she should feel guilty if horse injures others?

If OP keeps working with horse, well, why expect different results doing the same?
Horse will still be quirky enough to be dangerous, even if not as bad, but is that worth the OP getting hurt, or farrier, vet, anyone else that may be involved, OP will have at times to have others care for horse.

No good solution, euthanizing seems poor advice, but so is any other advice, there is no good advice to see, I am afraid.

10 Likes

I would not hand this horse off to a rescue. Horses like this end up either being passed around until they eventually hurt somebody or landing in a bad situation when nobody wants to deal with them anymore.

Either keep her and do the pasture for a year and then bring her home plan, or euthanize. This horse is unpredictable and dangerous, and the liability is too great.

19 Likes

There are enough horses that don’t have the inclination to rear if something bothers them. I’d either spend the money on diagnostics to find out if any weird pain somewhere or PTS.

8 Likes

My gelding has a story very similar to this, he and I managed to have short stretches of good rides partly because I was always aware of where the line was between pushing him just enough and setting him off. I too kept thinking an opportunity like this may never present itself again.

I couldn’t in good conscience surrender my horse to a rescue, my experience with my gelding has led me to believe that horses like this are telling us that something is wrong.

If she seems happy in pasture, and you are content with that option, I would go for that. If not, I would also euthanize.

25 Likes

This. I would keep this horse in my personal care via a retirement facility for as long the desire or funds permitted and if that time came to an end before it was her natural time, I would euthanize. I also see zero issue with early euthanasia. This is not a horse that can be safely loaned out or rehomed. It also would be irresponsible to breed her not knowing the underlying cause.

Rescues are busting at the seams with unadaptable horses. I really think it is the ethical responsibility of owners who have any sort of means to keep their horses out of rescues to leave spots for the horses that truly have nowhere left to go. I’d severely question the reasoning behind a rescue volunteering to take on a rearing horse not in immediate distress. My fear would be that there would be an “I can fix it” mentality and that maybe things would go well for a bit until it really didn’t. If that until it didn’t moment happened with a less experienced rider or someone trying the horse out at the rescue it could easily end in a life-ending flip.

It is likely the intersection of pain and behavioral at this point and rearing is one of the hardest behaviors to truly eradicate. It is likely that when you restarted her you put on zero pressure and even basic trainer expectations make her want to blow. Having known someone who was killed when a “reformed rearer” flipped at the mounting block on a calm sunny day with seemingly no heads up, I’d never try to fix one.

23 Likes

Turning horse out in suitable pastures will still require a farrier trimming regularly, vet for checkups and maybe even hauling to clinic if injured or sick.
Others than the OP at times will still have to manage around a horse that, as per OP, is also dangerous for vet work and some times just handling her.

That is one point on a terminal solution weighing more here, sad that is to consider.

I helped in a stable where we were retraining OTTB’s for hunter/jumpers.
This one grey very pretty mare came to us and we were excited to get such a beauty to train.
Put her on the longe line and out of the blue she flipped, hard.
No one was permitted to try to ride her after that.

We had the vet check her over good and he found that she was quiet and sensible and nice, but at times she checked out completely.
She also flipped on the longe line when he was examining her, he could see it himself.
They took her to the university clinic and they decided maybe at some time she had encephalitis of some kind and her brain just was not working properly from it, once leading her to turnout she tumbled head over heels.
She didn’t come back, we assumed they had let her go, sad, somber stable for a while.
I think if this was the problem with OP’s mare, their vets would have figured that by now?

7 Likes

No one in real life has ever mentioned euthanasia as an option. I’ve heard retirement and broodmare. I think what’s hard for me is that I don’t have any basis for comparison regarding the horse’s behavior, or how abnormal it is, or how unmanageable it would be to someone more competent than I am. Definitely in my first year with her, I had professionals tell me she was a lost cause. But after I started riding her, especially seeing some of the jokes she took from me and how tolerant she was, I’ve had other professionals say she’s not that complicated, that she’s struggling because I’m a novice and it’s the blind leading the blind. I suspect that’s what the woman who offered to take her thinks. She seems pretty confident that she can turn her around. And part of me thinks… what if she’s right? I do sometimes think my horse is unusually difficult. But other times, she seems so lovely and willing and trainable—so much more tolerant and obedient, even, than lesson horses I’ve ridden—that I wonder what she could achieve in more skilled hands.

The trainer was in the wrong. You should never have been able to buy a horse that rears and the trainer should never have had you send away for rehabilitation.

I would say the horse improved because of probably no grain and no pressure.

The rear will come when the horse is asked to do something it doesn’t want to do.

Stop riding this horse.

Do not ever get on a horse that rears.

People have been killed or worse by rearing horses.

Do not get sucked in by black stallion syndrome. Where you think the horse loves you and you are the only one that can ride it. JMHO.

41 Likes

The impression I had was that the horse was, as per several vets and trainers, difficult and, as described, dangerous when it acted up.

You bring now up that your situation may be a green on green problem, according to other trainers and the opinion of the rescue lady and that she is willing to take horse in and see if she is right, she can make the horse a safer horse?

If so, let her try, if she knows what she is taking in, hopefully she also knows to stay safe.
That would be one way to proceed and hope lady is right.
You have tried long enough, maybe is time to let others try?

5 Likes

Rearing is one of the most dangerous things a horse can do. A persistent rearer is a danger to itself and to ANY humans who come into contact, not just you.

Your posts are focused on the horse and trying to do the right thing, the best thing for it. You don’t mention your personal circumstances and your responsibilities such as marriage, children, employment, family commitments. But consider, carefully, if you were badly injured by this horse would you be able to manage? What would the emotional, physical or financial costs be? Horses are strong, quick, opinionated animals and injuries caused by one may be life-changing. Could you live with yourself if it was your husband or a friend who was injured by a horse you know to be dangerous?

I’m not sugar-coating my words because too many people seem to have said “maybe”, “could do”, “go to a pro”. My feeling is that you have tried your very best, you have achieved more than many professionals expected, but it is time to say goodbye and euthanize a horse who appears to be very damaged. What you have learned along this journey will never be lost.

26 Likes

I think both things are true at once, and that’s what makes it such a hard situation. What I’ve felt over the past 2 years since restarting her is that some people are skilled riders and some are skilled trainers. And sometimes the less you are of one, the more you have to be the other. I feel like because of her and because of the skill level I was at when I started, I did become a trainer. I put in the time and I was consistent, and went from having a horse I was afraid to lead out of the pasture, because her anxiety level was so high that even a car pulling up the drive or wind in the trees would send her into the stratosphere, to one I could ride and jump x-rails on, and flop and bounce all over without her batting an eyelash. But when I have tried to rely on professional help, I feel like it has gone poorly because they primarily approach her as riders, or as trainers who rely mostly on strong, assertive riding. And they haven’t necessarily put the time or consistency in to build her confidence in them. So then, when they are firm with her, which you do have to be, she gets fearful and explosive. But of course, if they aren’t firm with her, she ignores them and reacts to the environment instead. I found the different people who worked with her had different approaches—some too lenient and letting her fall into bad habits, some too strict without having her confidence first. But in my mind, I think if she could just find someone who is both a good rider and a good trainer, and who has the grit and the patience to put the time in, she would be a wonderful horse. *edit because I hit send too soon.

*hit send too soon.

I want to make sure I’m giving the most accurate picture possible, but I think describing it in words can only do so much. I have videos of times she’s reared with me and I’ve edited them into a clip. I also have video showing her under saddle. I’m not comfortable posting them publicly but I will DM them to anyone who asks. To me, when I see the videos, I do not see a horse for whom euthanasia is a reasonable option. Especially under saddle, I have never gotten on her at a time where I felt she was too nervous or explosive to ride, and her rears, in my opinion, are behavioral, not explosive/reactive. When I have found her most intimidating and dangerous has been on the ground. She isn’t unpredictable, but she is like a kettle about to boil over. You can feel her anxiety and tension rising, and while you can predict it will explode, you can’t always predict how or when. But when she is in a good headspace and calm and rideable, it is very apparent, she looks, feels, and acts like a completely different horse.

1 Like

So two trainers and a “rehabber” have been unable and eventually unwilling to work through her problems. Doesnt sound like your lack of experience is the problem.

If I was going to keep this horse, I would have to be prepared to do some extensive diagnostics before going further ($$$) And the end result might still be to euth.

And you deserve to have a horse you can enjoy rather than considering not getting dumped a good ride.

29 Likes

I know it’s probably shocking to hear people here suggest euthanasia, especially if no one has before. And I say this gently, but read this, and sit with it for a bit:

This horse is DANGEROUS. You know she’s dangerous. Even horses that aren’t dangerous can seriously injure or even kill people in a bad moment, but this is a horse that you know is unpredictable and responds in very unexpected ways that are likely to harm the people around her.

You’ve put her with several professionals, and that potential for dangerous behavior has not improved. It sounds like in every circumstance, she’s only gotten worse when with a pro. That’s really frightening. The likelihood of this horse seriously hurting someone is high.

At the very least, the single thing a horse needs to be–the one thing they need to be capable of to be a horse–is reasonably safe to handle and work around. This one has shown she isn’t, and she’s shown that repeatedly. That she has moments where she can be is great, and a testament to your patience, but you’ve seen, repeatedly, that it takes very little to set her off, and for her to be unsafe.

This is the type of horse that kills someone. If you give her away, and hear a year later that she savaged someone, or flipped over on someone, would you be surprised? I think, based on what you’ve shared here, that the answer is a solid no.

It’s also worth noting that this horse is very likely this way because of pain. Yes, I know that she’s been cleared by the vet. But there’s only so much they can tell us, and even if you were willing to drop significant money chasing down what might be wrong, you might not get answers. This behavior, though, practically screams that something is very seriously physically wrong. What sort of life is that for any animal?

A kind end is not a bad thing. There are far worse things out there. And a horse like this is at very high risk of a whole list of them.

40 Likes