Begging to make something out of myself in the equestrian world...

I want to start out as an assistant trainer or really the trainers working student.

I don’t think that is a realistic goal (“start out as”), unless you mean the kind of working student that pays the trainer.

[QUOTE=bjd2013;6086347]
Exactly…wheres the Tad Coffin saddle?[/QUOTE]

Better grammar this time around. Maybe she got the Android fixed.:wink:

But seriously, OP. You need to grow up first. Reread your original post in the light of day. The tone is grandiose to say the least.

:lol:

I agree on the properetiquette/skittlespony thread similarities- perhaps OP should look that one up and see how many others there are out there.

Interestingly, I’ll say almost the same thing to OP that I said to that girl… I know of a working student position in your general area. But you lost me with the 'tude.

Yeah, I added that part about the tape because sometimes that’s what it takes for me! :lol:

This OP rubs me the wrong way the entire thread. You asked for advice and you were given great advice and real time experience. The Horse world is hard and you will learn that real quick when you bad attitude gets you nowhere. Grow up, get an education and get over yourself.

Go and do a working student position at a farm with a reputable trainer. You will learn a ton about horse care and management, which any rider shouldn’t be without. Clearly you are quite ambitious! Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it- just be polite, work hard, and show initiative and you will probably become a fantastic horse woman.

The working student position will help you out tons, too, to see what aspects of the equestrian world you like/dislike. I did it and figured out that slaving away in a stable all day isn’t for me. Trust me- such opportunities are there for those who really, really want it.

[QUOTE=TheHorseProblem;6086457]

But seriously, OP. You need to grow up first. Reread your original post in the light of day. The tone is grandiose to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should refer her to that thread? We are all repeating the same thing in this thread that we said in the other thread.

J-O-B Get a job

Anyone else see that movie?

OP, when I was your age, the only thing that took me away from my free leased horse was tossing pizza dough at the local Papa Johns. My job paid for weekly/bi-weekly lessons and a local show every other month or so.

I can make a mean pizza and I learned what it was like to work a craptastic job to earn enough money to do what I love… Win win :smiley:

Good luck, I know the feeling. If you work hard, you can play hard!

might there be a link to the properetiquette/skittlespony thread? Unlike the Op I had time to read all 6 pages and quite enjoyed it…

I second this. I also read all 6 pages, and didn’t skip one single post. :smiley:

[QUOTE=TheHorseProblem;6086457]

But seriously, OP. You need to grow up first. Reread your original post in the light of day. The tone is grandiose to say the least.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more.

Somehow, threads started by juniors seem to turn into such fascinating train wrecks. This reminds me, too, a little of the whole skittlespony/PE1 thing.

OP, I’m a junior without a ton of money. I think I get where you’re coming from. I’ve been riding since I turned three, so 13 years. I’ve been a crash test dummy, a working student, a groom, a grunt worker, an exercise rider, and a trainer. I almost exclusively ride tricky horses and training horses. My personal horse is an OTTB I picked and restarted myself, who is going to his first A show this weekend, not quite 9 months after being restarted and after a nearly 4 month layup due to illness. I’m also catch riding my BO’s incredible mare in the eq and the hunters until my guy is fully back in action.

It can be frustrating, yes, but the whole world isn’t out to get you nor are people offering advice and suggestions. You never know when you’re going to need help or a friend or a contact, and you won’t have many of those if you keep arguing with people over every.single.thing.

I think learning how to market and present yourself would do you a world of good. Less tooting your own horn, more humbly asking for advice and listening to ALL of it.

Being a hard worker and having natural talent doesn’t mean monkey poo if you don’t have a pleasant, humble attitude to go with it.

OP, I really do wish you luck. But I think you need to do a little self examination and look at your goals.

Oh to be 16 again…am I right? :slight_smile:

I take a short trip from Northern California to Ocala HITS every winter to visit my former trainer and live “the life” for a few days. Pretend that I get to live in a camper, travel from show to show, train, and buy/sell horses for a living.

Then I get home and remember that I have a car payment, rent, bills, and oh yes- a husband.

Real life can sneak up quickly! Dream big but always have a backup plan.

One other piece of advice- be grateful for what you have. I have gone from owning, to half leasing, to riding once a week. As much as I dream daily about owning a horse again, I always remind myself that at least I’m able to ride when there are plenty of girls that don’t have that opportunity.

Good luck!

Ginger J makes a great point in this:
“Being a hard worker and having natural talent doesn’t mean monkey poo if you don’t have a pleasant, humble attitude to go with it.”

I ride with a very good professional. It is largely AA/AO riders whose horses cross over in the pro divisions. For several years, we had a girl (working student) who rode for the pro(about your age) and she rode the socks off of just about anything you put her on. You could drop her on a 4 year old to march around the baby divisions or you could put her on a sales horse to do the Jr. Hunters. She was truly a gifted, gifted rider. All that said, she got fired for talking back (regularly) to the barn manager and other staff. She lost the 6 figure hunter that she was handed to compete and she also lost her credibilty in the area since everyone knew about her attitude. All in all though, it was really quite sad for everyone involved.
Take every opportunity; be it grooming, riding, watching etc. since it will serve you for your life in horses. I think it is great to see your passion for the sport. Keep your head down, work hard, ask lots of questions but most of all, enjoy the fact that you get to spend your time with horses and other people that love them as much as you.

possible advice from a peer

I’ve only read the author’s article and a few replies. A bit older, but not by much, I see a lot of my former self in your article. Or let me say at 16 I had the same mind-set. At 16 and still today I’m extremely passionate about riding and wanting to make a career in the equine industry. As well, 1. I’d rather write than start studying accounting and 2. I was where you were at very recently
My biggest advice is patience. In high school, I was beyond fortunate to even have a horse to ride and go to a few shows, but I took for granted so much, thinking that I needed more. All of my riding buddies, I felt, had nicer horses, and my belief was the only way I could ever “make it to the top” was to compete all the time and I had to make Young Riders. Not only were my goals not functional for the situation I was in but also slightly vain. Yes, I thought I would give up everything, and was more than willing to clean stalls all morning and night but that didn’t solve the fact that I wasn’t getting what I wanted right then.
Jump ahead ahead a few years (3, how short, right?)
What I’ve learned (and still getting use to). Take advantage of every opportunity you have. Whether it’s a green horse or auditing clinics. I would advise if the opportunity comes, go groom for a rider. I was able to go groom at NAYRC and then at several other events, and so I didn’t improve my riding per say BUT I made a lot of contacts. Then, those contacts introduced me to more contacts… so on.
Make goals, but make a realistic plan of how to achieve them. I still haven’t lost the dream of training both riders and their horses as a profession, but I only have so many means. I have to take small steps. It has taken a very long (to me) time to sink into the idea that I (hopefully) have not even been alive half my life. Unless by some miracle, I probably will never ride at Young Riders, but there is so much more time to achieve whatever else I want. At 16, maybe you can’t get the long term working student job, because of your age. That’s OK.
I should’ve Numbered these. This will kick you in the a** and Lord knows he humbled me to many times until I realized I was NOT near as good as I thought I was. Ok, so maybe both you and I have the stickiest seats and can wrestle the green obnoxious young horse, but that does not mean you have any business entering in some huge jumper classic at an AA show, because you will fall off. (wait… that was me) Be super humble and realize that behind the really great riders are intelligent trainers that got them there.
ok 4. and them I’m done. Financing your habit, when the work isn’t there to earn it yourself and even the most supportive parents who would love more than anything in the world to make you happy still can’t afford to send you to England for the summer or even the horse trial next week, count what you have. This sounds so cliche, but it’s probably harder than realizing you’re not as good as you think. I have so many friends who, I mean, they’ve imported gorgeous horses and compete every weekend, and you think that you have been shunned by God. Remember there is someone out there that wants more than anything to ride a horse.

So, I have not given you the tools that will make you Rider of the Year, but hopefully something that will help you lift your chin up. Remember why you want to achieve whatever goal it is. Unfortunately I had to realize I just wanted to be better than everyone else. If you take this advice, I can’t promise it’ll get you there, but it will make life a little easier to bare. (bear?) I’m a lot better a rider than I was at 16, I eventually got a big break as a working student at 18, and now STILL riding a young obnoxious horse I’m content knowing that I’ve been so blessed and with consistent hard work I’ll continue improving.

(on a light hearted note, being known as that girl that can ride the green horse, comes in handy.)

(Oh! Don’t make COTH responders mad! Not to encourage meeting people online you don’t know, but I’ve received a few suggestions of job opportunities, etc. )

OP just count the blessings you have

You are a step ahead not doing anything foolish in your youth.

You aren’t as unrealistic as you are impatient. Just because you’ve been riding since you were two (and as talented as you may be, a two, you were just sitting on it, steering), doesn’t mean diddly, unless you are willing to work and slave somewhere else besides your home barn for the opportunity. You may have the desire, but you may not have the skills. Yet.

Graduate from high school and avoid pregnancy. Get out the Chronicle and look for working student positions at a REPUTABLE barn. Even a dressage barn. Work hard and at some point, you’ll get to ride. If you are as good as you say you are, you’ll get to ride more and get better horses. If you aren’t you’ll learn to be a good show groom and get lessons. You’ll then have a resume with something other than a "big dream and an “if only someone would see my talent and put me on their nice horses”.

I have a 32 year old son who is still waiting until Richard Petty or NASCAR discovers him. He tinkers with and drives his own cars, but if someone would just give him a CHANCE, he knows he could win at Daytona.

Your dream is exactly like his.

Emily,

I also live in RI.
I used to groom for a local trainer, they currently do not have a groom to work for them during the spring-summer horseshows. I only left because I am a recent college grad and am looking for the next step (I do not want a career in horses).

I didn’t ride the 3-4 years I worked there but I also never asked. I made good money that you could use to put towards lessons. If you want their info, let me know.

[QUOTE=Perfect Pony;6086275]
But I’m telling you, if you really want to be riding those nice horses, and have a job in the industry, you need to realize you will have to first pay your dues OFF the horses to get on their backs…[/QUOTE]

Short and sweet…:wink:

As others have mentioned, you are long way from any trainer putting you on a horse, let alone one worth six figures or more. If you are so passionate about a career with horses, you need a reality check before you start.

Same story, different day. Chalk it up to being sixteen, I guess. :lol:

Wow this is a long thread and tons of debate has come of it, but, I would love to address the OP if I may. You’ll probably want to hear what I have to say because I too want to make something of myself in the horse world, and guess what? I am a student at Mount Holyoke College!

Let me start by saying this: If I had my way, of course I wouldn’t be in school. I would be right into the horse business doing everything in my power to further my experience as a rider and a trainer. However, I’ve also come to terms with the fact that it is extremely important in a risky business like this to have a backup plan, or plan B. That is why I chose to attend a school not only good in the equestrian department, but also in academics. I’m studying Economics and Mathematics. Will I do anything with the degrees I will earn after 4 years at school? Maybe, maybe not. But will they be extremely useful if I get hurt riding, can’t get into the business right away, or (god forbid) change my mind? Absolutely.

You mention that it’s not exactly the best position to be in when looking to start a career and that the team won’t give you the experience you need in the show world. Honey, maybe it would be better if I was showing at WEF, working with trainers, and riding 10 horses a day, but unfortunately that’s not something we can all do at the drop of a hat. But I can tell you with the upmost confidence that trainers DO respect college riders. If you want to train horses, there’s no better way to learn than to be thrown on a crazy donation horse you know nothing about and be expected to jump a 3’ open course on it in front of a crowd of people, with your coaches and team depending on you. There’s also no better way to learn about interacting with people as a team. Riding is a very individual sport, but if you want to train for people, ride for people, and represent people in this business, then you need to be able to work with people, and not only be out for yourself. Being part of a college team is a great way to learn the social skills you need in the business, and helps you be a team player as well.

Now I’m not going to sit here and lecture you on what you should and shouldn’t do, so instead I’ll give you a little look at what my experience has been in my 19 years (15 of which have been spent riding). I’ve always known that I wanted to be in the horse business, and here I see you can definitely relate. But I didn’t really start to put that into action until I had one trainer tell me when I was about 12 years old: “kid, if you really want this, you gotta show me that you want it! Put in the time, put in the effort, and show me that you can be what you want to be.” That’s all it took. And it starts with the smallest things. I started riding with no stirrups. Seriously every day. I started finding exercises to do when I wasn’t on the horse to strengthen my legs and upper body. I had my mother take video after video of my riding so that I could spend time analyzing myself and trying to change specific things about my riding. That’s always the first step. You have to spend the time. Now you seem to have gotten at least that far.

From there I became a working student. I was a working student for 5 years, and those 5 years taught me more than I would ever learn in classroom, yes. But that’s what you need to focus on as a high school student. During the summer, and after school, you have time to be learning everything you can about the basic operation of a show business. Figure out how to pack for a horse show, how to work hard through any weather, and most importantly how to believe that even when it gets frustrating, that you are learning something every second that you are working, whether or not you’re in the saddle.

There was never a doubt in my mind that I was going to college, but I knew it wouldn’t be easy. I knew plenty of people like me who were going straight to business, and it was hard not to feel like I was getting behind. But the truth is I wasn’t. I kept in contact with all the trainers I worked with as a junior rider. I always had a positive attitude in the barn, was nice with all the younger kids, polite with adults, and respectful of the trainers and other barn staff. Seems like a no-brainer right? Harder than you’d think though, when the days get long, the kids get bratty, and the adults get nosey. But hey, you do what you have to do. And you know why? Because when I got ready to spend my first summer home from college being a working student like always, one of the trainers I worked with remembered my attitude, remembered my work ethic, and thought of me when something came along. Next thing I know, I was living on my own, working six days a week riding horses. Living the dream if you will.

Now I’m not going to tell you it wasn’t hard to go back to school in the fall, because it was. But let me tell you keeping the same attitude I had as a junior that summer made me some new friends in the horse world. So what I’ve learned is that even if you’re not right in it right away, the littlest things you do can make a difference in the way people see you, and more important than you’re drive is the way you conduct yourself in the business, and the way you come across to others. If you can figure that out, slowly but surely you will build a network of people who will look out for you, who will think of you when opportunities come along, and who will be willing to help you when you need it, because they know you’ll do the same for them.

The moral of the story is that you can do it! It may not happen right away, and it may not go exactly the way you planned, but that’s life, and if you really want it, every second counts, and everything you do can make a difference in your future. Play it smart, stay dedicated, and think about all of your options, and you might find there’s more out there for you than you think. :yes:

So you had the chance to groom ar WEF, to bump up against BNT, to bust your butt and show someone you have the work ethic to do this, and you turned it down.
Sounds like a girl who thinks shez above all that. You passed up a hell of an opportunity because of your ego. If you had the chance to shovel crap at WEf, go do it and be the best of em.
Its called networking . And some hard work.