Unlimited access >

Being okay with “just” riding

Thirteen years ago I made a decision to stop the stifle exercises with my QH. He had a bad hock and was compensating with his stifles. Hills were pretty much non existent where we boarded and I did straight trots and literally hundreds of trot poles each week. Neither of us enjoyed it. I decided to stop, fully aware that doing so would probably shorten his comfortable life.

But we were both happier just toodling around a few times a week, then month. He didn’t lose any of his training because I automatically corrected the behavior/responses that weren’t what I wanted. It didn’t take much effort or time as nothing went on for long enough to become habit.

My superhorse now is getting older and I “just” ride him. Sometimes “just riding” is playing with all the dressage moves, and while I do ask for a little more precision/response/push/etc as we play I’m not trying to move up or prep for a show. We are playing, and if playing means zig zag canter half passes with flying changes it’s just for the fun of it.

I am doing virtual distance challenges which keeps me going out to ride. We completed a 100 mile challenge in just over a month in October. I’m working on a 100 miles with my younger horse. Once we finish that his miles will be added to the 500 mile challenge I started with my older horse. The goal being getting me out and riding through the winter cold. To accomplish it all I have to do is “just ride”. :wink:

2 Likes

I showed a lot in the large pony hunter division as a kid, and even later on as a teenager in the (low) jumper classes on a borrowed OTTB that would approach every jump sideways then straighten out at the last stride and soar over anything. He never refused and would jump a house if you let him do it his way. Even did some local events.

But as an adult, when I got my first horse as a paying adult (as opposed to my parents footing the bills), I discovered that I really just wasn’t that into showing. I was always anxious about it, and it finally occurred to me that I could just not do it. :smile:

I still worked with trainers weekly like I was showing (until my current two mares were retired), but loved that the stress was gone and I could just enjoy my rides.

2 Likes

When I was still competing, it was harder for me to convince myself to go out and ride some days because I felt like each ride had to be productive and goal-oriented, and if I didn’t have a good ride (which was more likely given the pressure I was putting on myself and my horse), I’d be frustrated. So, it was just easier to avoid it altogether.

Now that I no longer compete and I’m “just riding” for my own enjoyment and to keep my horse and myself active and physically fit, I hate to miss a single day! We still “school” basic dressage just to keep both of us using our bodies correctly, but we do it in a huge field and while hacking around the property. Honestly, I feel like we accomplish more when we’re hacking around on the buckle and the horse I raised and trained myself navigates going past the scary broken down lawnmower with an old blanket thrown over it on a windy day, or does a tactful job of herding the resident flock of Canadian geese (just enough pressure to make them waddle where we want but not take flight! lol), or mosey calmly along the fenceline next to the busy road where all manner of loud vehicles come flying by without so much as a flick of his ear.

I mean, sure, it’s nice when he uses himself correctly and does nice transitions and circles and leg yields and whatever. But when he plows his way through a wooded spot with branches hitting him in the face and scraping his flanks and doesn’t miss a step, that’s when I’m proudest of him and when I feel like I’m REALLY riding my horse.

3 Likes