Bemer blanket

Does anybody have one? How does it work? And what do you think about it? Thank you

I have had one for two years now. It has made a big difference in my horse. He has never been one who likes to be brushed but after using the Bemer, he now accepts being brushed. He also warms up better when used before I ride.

As you can see from the picture, he totally relaxes when his Bemer is on.

6 Likes

Does it helps losen tight muscles?

1 Like

I have also had my Bemer for two years.

The Bemer puled electro magnetic frequency patterns induce a response in the horse’s parasympathetic nervous system. This puts the horse’s body into rest and recovery mode. The Bemer signal helps the horse’s body open up the micro capillaries, allowing better blood flow throughout. It has a cumulative effect over time, though many horses (not all) show a relaxation response during a session.

If used before riding, riders will often feel a difference in their horse’s movement. Easier, looser movement. When used after a ride, it helps the horse recover faster. Drugs are more effective (ie, less sedation drug required to get the same degree of sedation). Horses can get immediate reduction in back pain with a Bemer session (I’ve seen this several times myself). When used prior to trailering, the horses tend to recover faster.

The Bemer does not magically solve all issues. If the underlying cause isn’t addressed with appropriate treatment, the Bemer won’t cure it. Bemer is a supportive therapy.

I got mine specifically to see if it would help with my senior’s summer heaves (lungs have a huge number of blood vessels). A single treatment doesn’t change anything on any given day. I’ve been using the blanket 4-6 days a week, cycling through the programs on a weekly basis (week 1 - program 1, week 2 - program 2, week 3 - program 3, repeat) and using the cuffs over his lungs on program 1 after the blanket.

I tracked breath rate, lung sounds, medication, weather, pollen count, exercise and response. I had been checking his lung sounds and breath rate every summer for several years prior. Each year his lowest breath rate in season got higher. 16 to 18 to 20 (normal is 6-10). It was 20 the summer before the Bemer. Each year he required more medication.

The first summer with the Bemer his breath rate varied wildly. I had days where it was as low as 12, in August. Other days it was anything up to 20. I didn’t have to increase his medication, and used a quarter of the emergency drug (ventipulmin) as I had the previous year. He was ready to go sooner after a big day than before (remember he was 24 at the time), and wanting to keep going when we were out adventuring.

Last year he was recovering from reinjuring his stifle and I couldn’t use exercise as I normally do to help his breathing. I still didn’t have to increase his medication, except on very bad days (we were affected by forest fire smoke several times) and he bounced back more quickly than I expected. His base breath rate varied, but less wildly and was more often lower. I think he got to 10 a couple of times in August. I was able to pinpoint an allergen for the first time as his breath rate spiked at the same time ragweed pollen did. This allowed me to clear his paddock of ragweed.

This is my experience, with using the Bemer on my horses. The recovery rate is subjective. The breath rate, breath sounds, and medication dosage are not.

10 Likes

I feel it does with my boy who can be very tight.

I have also had my Bemer for about 2 years, after paying for weekly treatments for about a year before that as part of an overall SI injury rehab program.

In addition to warm up and recovery benefits, I’ve found it helps extend the interval between chiro/body work appointments.

2 Likes

my barn has a Bemer for boarders to use for a small monthly fee. my OTTB loves it. he’s 29 and still in light work, and i definitely notice a difference in the looseness of his back. he falls asleep every session. i use it less in the summer, since they can sweat underneith it in warmer weather.

1 Like

My vet would love to have one! She recommends their use.

I got the BEMER horse set in March for both personal and business use.

I notice a big difference in my horse when he is BEMERed before a training ride. It helps him warm up and he has had consistently good functional rides when doing it beforehand. I also use it on an older higher level dressage horse, and he moves MUCH more comfortably after a session as well.

Currently REALLY glad I have it as my pony is having a laminitis flare. BEMER/IceWraps/liniment daily with that.

2 Likes

My friend and I just went in half-sies on one. I did notice a pretty significant difference on my guys. I’ve also been “Bemered” myself several times and found that it improves my recovery time post race (ultras)

4 Likes

My daughter won one in a facebook group draw and she finds if nothing else it really helps the racehorses relax. One of them had his SI injected this spring, and he particularly seems to be benefiting from it. Hopefully it pays off when he starts racing again soon.

2 Likes

Now I want a Bemer. Is it worth buying new or safe to buy used?

1 Like

I’m surprised more barns don’t do this.
Seems like an excellent adjunct to lesson/training packages at higher end show barns

2 Likes

There is a Facebook group that sells used PEMF equipment

I watched it for a while and there werent any super great deals? I bought mine new, I figured at least I’d be able to keep track of the time I put on it. I also used a credit card with no interest for 18 months vs paying cash upfront and so far am on track with my business that it should pay itself off by then. If it doesn’t in that time frame I don’t really care; I’m very thankful to have it as we’re currently battling laminitis.

6 Likes

I don’t have the Bemer, but I did look at it when I was deciding to purchase my own PEMF system. It was my experience that the Bemer company would not answer my specific questions about how their product worked, and I was basically told it was proprietary information. So that really turned me off, and that’s one of the reasons why I decided to go with a different company (Respond Systems) and purchased theirs instead. They happily answered any and all questions I had for them, before and after purchase.

As another poster has mentioned, PEMF therapies are not a cure all but they are certainly very, very valuable. Prior PEMF helped heal one of my horse’s tendon issues, among other things along the years, and that’s why I finally invested in my own. My current main horse did tend to get sore in the hocks (we mostly do barrel racing) but since I have had my own system, I have NEVER had to inject her and she has NEVER gotten sore in her hocks, for two whole seasons/years now. I feel like that is a testament in and of itself. But, I also make an effort to treat her at least 2 times a week; more if I can. I do believe it works the best with regular use; no matter which system you end up doing.

The idea behind PEMF is that is can reduce inflammation and also increase circulation. However, your Hertz level does different things. My understanding of Bemer is they are very low frequencies. Mine from Respond Systems can treat from 5 to 60 Hertz. Others like the MagnaWave can treat higher and you really, really need to know what you are doing when you get into the higher Hertz levels. You can cause harm at the higher levels if you don’t do it right. Another reason why I went with Respond Systems is because it’s “dummy proof” for me. :wink: And I can treat the entire body in 30 minutes, without standing there holding coils. Mine can do a Scan function where it cycles through the Hertz levels which is what I normally do. But I could (for example) if I wanted to cool down my horse, do a lower Hertz setting. Or, do a higher Hertz setting to dilate vessels and “warm up” my horse. Different Hertz levels are also indicated for certain injuries, based on what you are dealing with.

I do have friends with Bemer and some swear by it. So you’ll certainly get lots of opinions on the topic.

My horses usually go right to relaxing when I start their treatment. They love it.

3 Likes

How much is the Respond neck wrap? Says you have to “call for pricing”. I’m looking for something to assist with my guys neck especially in colder months.

Thanks and Is it worth to buy the cuffs? Thé parts for the legs?

The stand alone appears to be $1,450. The one that connects to the blanket is less.

Yes. Get the Bemer Horse Set which includes blanket, pair of cuffs, cooler, and case/bag. The cuffs can be strapped on or hung in all kinds of creative ways to target specific body parts.

2 Likes

The cuffs are also I believe, 3x stronger than the blanket too if I remember the manual correctly.

It’s definitely worth it to get the set. They have a neck piece now too but you can Velcro the boots together to hang over the neck.

2 Likes