Unlimited access >

Best Blanket for Rain Turnout

I have a 250g fill turnout blanket for my wimp of a TB, but it is too warm even for him on days much above freezing. It has been raining cats and dogs here lately, and I need some sort of blanket to turn him out in on rainy days 35-50 degrees Fahrenheit. It needs to keep him warm and dry without being too warm when he runs around like a maniac. Would it be better to get a 100g fill or no fill? What’s your favorite brand of turnout sheet? What’s the best online store for them?

Here in SC we end up using our no-fill sheets the most. I’ve had good luck with the Smartpak Ultimate sheets and the 1200 denier Amigos. Both of those are on their 3rd season of heavy use and are still waterproof. The 100 gram blankets are very practical too, especially for the clipped horses when the medium weight would be too much but the sheet is not enough. Amigo, Shires and Rambo all make a 100-150 gram that sees to stay waterproof.

IMO Rambo is easily the best when it comes to fit and waterproofing. All of my grown up horses have had them as their main turnout sheets. My kiddo has a Rhino turnout sheet with a detachable hood that he’ll obviously grow out of. It works very well, keeps him dry and for a much lower price tag. Can’t comment on longevity as I’ve only had it for a few months.

I absolutely love Riders International and RI’s upgrade, Northwind.

All of ours are outfitted in either/or, most of them are on their 4th or 5th season, all are still waterproof and none of our horses are easy on their blankets. They play blanket-tag (the unwelcome form of halter tag) very roughly, roll often, play hard, and we’ve only had one or two blankets rip in the past ten years. My only complaint is that the chest hardware/snap can break but it’s easy to get replacements (the straps unbuckle and you can just switch them out) - but I also think that has something to do with my guys being rough on their blankets.

I’m actually in a slight bind over my NW… my guy has the Northwind Maroon/Grey medium weight and I just saw this year they came out with PURPLE and I MUST HAVE!!! Plus it comes in a neck attachment option which we don’t have… So I’ve been telling myself “oh, when his current blanket rips I’ll get him another…” to justify it, but then I remember that none of our Northwinds have actually gotten destroyed yet… :rolleyes:

We have a few Rambos/Amigos and we have a Pessoa and all of them collect dust… I like the Rambo (it’s very old) but I like the fit/ease of the RI better.

I forgot to mention the best part though… if they rip or break, Dover will exchange/replace them…

I love my Rambos. I have some that are 10 years old, never needed a repair, and are still completely waterproof. They stand up to my guys’ rough play.

Get the 100 fill - Rambo and Amigos come in them. I have 100 gm fill Weatherbeeta I bought years ago (haven’t seen that weight by WB since then) and it is my favorite blanket - perfect for my OTTB when she’s needs a little warmth. I always layer her Rambo Wug over it as the waterproofing on the WB is gone after all these years. But don’t hold your breath on Rambos staying waterproof - I’m in the process of returning my THIRD one due to the waterproofing seriously failing as in my mare was clearly wet under her blanket in numerous areas (all failed within two years :mad:).

I agree with the Amigo w 100gm fill.
I have 4 Amigo Rainsheets, and even the oldest of them is still waterproof!

Another Amigo fan. I even have old, very sunfaded Amigos that are still waterproof.

Heck, I have one Rhino that had the outer shell disintegration problem. The outer shell completely tore apart. I finally just ripped the whole outer shell off. That said, it’s still waterproof, since the waterproof layer is in the middle layer!

"I absolutely love Riders International and RI’s upgrade, Northwind.

All of ours are outfitted in either/or, most of them are on their 4th or 5th season, all are still waterproof and none of our horses are easy on their blankets."

Beowolf, Any suggestions to maintain waterproof quality of Northwind? 5 seasons is phenominal. How are they laundered - what kind of soap? How to dry?

I got some last year that were not used much as little rain. This year one horse has a ton of mud on it so just hose off and send out to clean at end of season with what instructions?

And yes, Dover was excellent about replacing when one ripped and another had surcingle pilled off and lost.

If your horse isn’t clipped, you will get a lot more use out of a sheet. I would recommend a high or mid-neck (like a Wug) for rain turnout because that helps prevent rain from running inside the blanket at the neck/shoulders. My gelding has a Rambo Wug sheet, but I’ve also had great service from the Dover Northwind line.

[QUOTE=M_;8465078]
"I absolutely love Riders International and RI’s upgrade, Northwind.

All of ours are outfitted in either/or, most of them are on their 4th or 5th season, all are still waterproof and none of our horses are easy on their blankets."

Beowolf, Any suggestions to maintain waterproof quality of Northwind? 5 seasons is phenominal. How are they laundered - what kind of soap? How to dry?

I got some last year that were not used much as little rain. This year one horse has a ton of mud on it so just hose off and send out to clean at end of season with what instructions?

And yes, Dover was excellent about replacing when one ripped and another had surcingle pilled off and lost.[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world I’d say wash/hose hang to dry and proof with Nikwax… but we’ve done nothing if I am completely honest. They are hung by the wither ring[s] when wet to dry, and not folded which I think helps. Ours live out 24/7 too, so they do see a bit of blanketing once it gets cold & wet.

I have to say Rambos at this point. I have a few that are so old and I purchased for horses that have passed on.

I took the cheap road a few times getting new blankets to find they lasted a season - lining ripped or they just fell apart.

I sucked it up and bought a few more Rambos. Interestingly my Vet/Chiropractor says the Rambo Rugs are one of the blankets that don’t pull on the withers. Recently I was using a Dover blanket and one of my horses withers were out so badly because of it. Went back to the Rambo. I sure wish Rambo had a better color selection however :slight_smile:

But they are durable…

I use Baker turnouts (no fill), and then switch to a Big D Sussex (240g fill) for colder weather/heavy rain. Horses live outside, and aren’t clipped.

Rambo, washed with Rambo sheet wash, for basic rain sheet. Heavier Rambo for tomorrow. :frowning: Also washed with Rambo wash.

[QUOTE=doublesstable;8465142]
Interestingly my Vet/Chiropractor says the Rambo Rugs are one of the blankets that don’t pull on the withers. [/QUOTE]

Actually, all blankets pull/put pressure on the withers. There was a study done quite a while ago about damage to the nuchal (? sp?) ligament in horses that were blanketed and all standard blankets applied the similar amounts of pressure across the board. The design[s] of each blanket didn’t seem to change the pressure too much one way or another, which was directly correlated to the weight of the blanket. IIRC, the one blanket that pulled the most were blankets that featured ‘wrap around’ buckling at the chest - HUGS, WUGS, the like. It is one of the reasons I loathe blanketing unless I have to.

I use the Rambo Mio rainsheet for our older horse. More like a windbreaker than anything else, just does enough to keep him from getting chilled in the cold. Excellent as a rainsheet too, he is never wet this odd fall, when he came inside. We take it off at night when he is stalled, lets his hair fluff since he is not clipped.

I have one of these Mio rainsheets that is 4 years old, worn daily by the horse at the Trainer over the winter time since they were kept in pens with shelters. Still in excellent shape, sheds water well, stays in place on the horses. Washes and hangs to dry over a gate or using the blanket hanger high on the tack room wall, to hang full length from the chest buckles. No folds while drying it. Dries really fast in the air.

Our horses are fairly full-bodied, deep girths, wide rear-ends, and the Mio’s fit nicely, stay put on even active horses.

[QUOTE=doublesstable;8465142]

I sucked it up and bought a few more Rambos. Interestingly my Vet/Chiropractor says the Rambo Rugs are one of the blankets that don’t pull on the withers. Recently I was using a Dover blanket and one of my horses withers were out so badly because of it. Went back to the Rambo. I sure wish Rambo had a better color selection however :slight_smile:

But they are durable…[/QUOTE]

I find the high neck of my Rambo pulls on my mare’s withers and throttles her a bit when she eats off the ground. She has a deep, wide chest and big shoulders. I am about to buy the Rambo chest extension piece for her. I got the Rambo lightly used second hand for a very good price, and its otherwise a very very nice blanket, so I am motivated to make it work. However, with this fit, if I had bought it new, I would have returned it.

I have the 100 g Smart Pak deluxe and really like this blanket, not sure on waterproofing since it has been warm when raining here in Georgia this year and this is my first year with this blanket.

What I do not like about the blankets like Rambo’s is no leg straps only tail straps, the tail straps get NASTY!

[QUOTE=khall;8466893]
I have the 100 g Smart Pak deluxe and really like this blanket, not sure on waterproofing since it has been warm when raining here in Georgia this year and this is my first year with this blanket.

What I do not like about the blankets like Rambo’s is no leg straps only tail straps, the tail straps get NASTY![/QUOTE]

I ended up adding D rings to all my old Rambos to add leg straps. I also get tired of the nasty tail straps and I like how the blankets stay down better in the wind with the leg straps.

BUT, the newer Amigo Bravos have added D rings so you can add your own leg straps.

[QUOTE=khall;8466893]

What I do not like about the blankets like Rambo’s is no leg straps only tail straps, the tail straps get NASTY![/QUOTE]
But when you have to change a dozen or so blankets twice a day it’s nice not to have to mess with leg straps especially when the snaps are caked with mud.
I love the Amigo Bravo 1200 D sheets and then use the liners that come in 100, 200, and 300 gram weights.