Unlimited access >

Best compression wear for under breeches/tights

looking for some recommendations for good compression shorts for under breeches or riding tights … i have a pair now that i initially liked but you can see the line through the breeches and i’m not the biggest fan of that … Looking for something that doesn’t dig into my skin and won’t roll up and preferably stops above the knee

TIA!!

This is going to be very individual depending on body type.

I have worn compression under white breeches, fortunately not a scorching hot day. My suggestion would be to get the compression underwear a bit large so it’s giving you smoothing but you aren’t actually trying to look 3 sizes smaller like the Tiktok shills promise.

1 Like

I just got a pair of the mid thigh length Honeylove superpower shapewear and I do like it, however, there is a line right above my knee in my show tan breeches. I also ran into the issue that since it goes up to almost my rib cage, its then pushing the skin up over the top edge and making a roll there. That part was fixed by wearing a slightly longer sports bra.

My next stop partly for the waist sucking in effect and partly because my skin chafes really badly in the summer heat, will be to get capri length compression garments. I’m afraid of just brief style because of my tendency to get open sores rubbed on my bikini line from riding in general. As far as brands, I will try shapermint, miraclesuit from bare necessities or yitty. Coming back to edit and say that shapermint and yitty both have inner thigh seams, so I will probably try skims instead. Either way, I have to find something without a seam on the inner thigh because I know it will exacerbate the chafing issues I already have.

1 Like

My breeches (tailored sportsmen, PS equestrian Stockholm) are plenty tight enough to be compression wear. Maybe a smaller size of breeches will meet your needs, unless you are talking about under panties as compression wear???

1 Like

I watched a dressage rider at a show once who was wearing mid-thigh length shapewear underneath her white breeches. Yeah, not a good look. Capri length sounds about right.

There’s a brand of compression breeches some on COTH swear by.

2 Likes

Have you tried a good pair of control top panty hose? What I wear on my bloated days.

That sounds like a slippery, sweaty nightmare under a pair of breeches.

2 Likes

For some of us, too-tight breeches = sausage casing, not compression wear.

3 Likes

I used to mess with all these things as I have a giant dent in my left leg that you can clearly see through my breeches. But it’s 95 degrees and humid here, and that ugly dent does not have any impact on my ability as a rider. I have found that the TS breeches are thick enough to provide some type of decent coverage, and I use the Soma Intimates Vanishing Edge panties for no pantyline. It is such a game changer to be able to simply be comfortable when riding, to not worry about how it looks or how layers of garments feel in the summer. If you need the compression for a health reason (muscle need more support, etc…) then great. But if we are all stuffing ourselves into these ridiculous garments as we head into summer, then we really need to start asking ourselves why we are doing this to ourselves, and for whom.

I will tell you that when I watch the video of my courses from last week, the last thing I notice is the dent in my leg. I’m looking at the horse. And any good judge will be looking at the horse, too, unless it’s an eq class (in which case I can guarantee they also won’t be focusing in on every lump and bump in our breeches). Stop the madness, ladies!! :grinning:

10 Likes

When I used to show in wool jods in the NC summers, we wore pantyhose to make unpeeling our wool jods off tolerable.

I don’t find them slippery but to each their own. :joy:

2 Likes

I have I think 5 pairs of these. I really do think they may fit the bill for the OP. They’re comfortable and exceedingly flattering.

I like them especially as after 30, I’ve fluxed a fair amount in weight and these fit / smooth me out equally well when I am a size 2/4 or a size 6/8. I am a size S comfortably in a 30ish lb weight range. I am 5’9 and they’re perfect in length - Scandi brands often cater to taller women I’ve found.

Shorter folks may find them too long @shadesofbay3 , YMMV

2 Likes

thanks everyone! i’m just very self conscious about my chubbier/“thicker” body as i’ve gotten older (5’5” and about 160-170 :nauseated_face:)… i used to have a nice hourglass shape and be around 135 but age (now 35 lol) has not been kind. i ride the hunters and can’t lie that seeing myself in my saddle just makes me cringe. i do like the feeling of everything being held together and not seeing any lumps and bumps. it feels and looks messy. :frowning: what i would give to look like an eq rider lol

1 Like

I wore shapewear under white breeches to a couple of shows a few years back. But mostly that was because I had an as-new pair of very nice white breeches that were added in free to a CL second hand purchase years ago because the girl selling them felt they were cursed or stained or something because she fell off the very last time she did a cross country event before she quit riding to go to college.

They fit me beautifully when I acquired them, not so great ten years later so shapewear to the rescue.

If I was going to be showing more often, I would have just bought a bigger pair of white breeches!

Every piece of clothing looks like crap if it’s too tight. Even if you are slim you can find things that create bulges and belly rolls. Get something that fits and you may look overall more robust but you will not look bulgy. If you’ve outgrown your gear buy new and size up.

1 Like

they fit. i just don’t like how they look/how my body looks

2 Likes

I wear the nike pro leggings or capris under all my breeches. Very thin and don’t affect how my boots fit, but they smooth everything out and I feel way more confident.

I find I get less sweaty than with breeches alone, I suspect because they wick moisture away so much better than any breeches I’ve tried (I prefer a thicker material for my breeches, and the Nike pros are thin enough that I won’t wear them in public on their own).

2 Likes

I haven’t tried them myself, but Eques Pante look promising

I’ve had the most luck with a shape wear bodysuit that is either seamless or a thong for no pantylines. Obviously doesn’t help if you’re looking for compression on the thighs, but it seems to be the best option to avoid the mid-thigh line the shaping shorts cause. I got one from ShaperX on Amazon that was relatively inexpensive and works well. I usually do a sports bra over it for the right bounce support.

1 Like

Five pairs of what? I must have missed something.

1 Like

That post is in reply to post 5, the Maya Delores breeches. Unless my phone is lying to me :laughing:

1 Like

I get it. I have never been slim and svelte. I’m also just 5’2:. So I hear you.

That said, I think a well-fitted pair of breeches of the correct color, ditto jacket and shirt, and boots, all clean and neat and correct colors (or to go well with your horse and saddle pad) make the best impression on a judge.
I do not judge hunters.
But neither have I worn any “compression” garments since the Sixties, and those were girdles, for school, not for riding.

Good seat, good hands, good turnout, clean horse and tack and boots, I really think that’s all you need to look good.

Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like