best cowboy boots for riding?

Hi everyone.
I ride english but I LOVE western boots for riding. I have a really great pair of cowboy boots- but they are not really made for riding, more for style if you know what I mean. But they are super comfortable to ride in when I have done it one occasion.

But what is a good solid brand of boot for horses? I was down at the outback store and they had a bunch of different brands, I was trying some on here and there and I am just not familiar with those brands at all.

Are there good boots for under $150? Some are like 300. thanks

Twisted X boots. (twistedxboots.com) Hands down, the best.

They are stylish, but more importantly, comfortable. I used to work in a hospital and was on my feet all shift, I always wore my shoes from them. I also wear them to ride. (And muck, and wash,ect.)

They are expensive. However, they last!

I love my Ariat Fatbaby/Probaby’s. They are great for riding, and for when you are on your feet all day. They are also relatively affordable, running from $90-$120, and hold up well.

A few thoughts…

Since you’re asking on the trail riding forum, here’s my answer.

The best riding boots for walking. You’ll appreciate the choice the day your horse goes three legged lame while camp is 10 miles away. This from the voice of experiance. Or the day you’re dumped and the horse runs off. Again while home or camp is 10 miles away. :yes:

I have found that cheaper prices in boots does not always mean better value. Sometimes your more expensive quality boots will last for years…

Most comfortable fashionable boots: Old Gringo. I have a friend that rides in hers…I prefer to wear out. The goat skin tops are like cloth. The stitching is to die for.

Most comfortable/durable riding boots: Lucchese exotics. I have a pair of caiman boots that I have worn for 4 years…and they hold up great and are comfortable. They are pricey- but again…still look great after considerable wear through all kinds of weather.

I would say that the Lucchese/Old Gringos are more comfortable than the Ariat: Maestro, Challenger, and Crowne Pro paddocks that I have as a comparison.

I do not care for the quality of the Twisted X and for some reason, I did not find the Ariat Fat Baby’s comfortable. They seemed more like barn boots than riding boots to me. If you are looking for a 9B cheap…pm me- I have a pair that I wore 3x’s and then retired. Just not for me :slight_smile:

Another brand you might look at is Anderson Bean. I have seen quite a few people who have them and like them. I have not owned them personally.

Your main deciding factors should consider what kind of sole you want (leather, crepe, etc.) and what kind of toe. Some riders feel that the crepe soles are too thick/dangerous to ride. They are unbeatable for doing work/showing on concrete though. Just a thought.

I love my Probabys. I WOULD NOT ride in Fatbabys due to the tread. (Unless yours are ancient like mine and you have worn the tread smooth.)

I ride long trail rides in Ariat Terrains. A 3 mile walk is not fun in cowboy boots. Ask me how I know.

It looks like the new Fat Baby boots now have a smoother, stirrup-friendly sole like the Pros.

I tried on a pair of Justin Gypsy boots a the tack shop the other day and have to say they felt really sneaker comfy (and are stirrup-safe).

I like Ariat Terrains, or the waterproof Ariat Terrains. Mine have held up well.

I wear Anderson Bean boots. I have a super high instep and they’re the only brand I can wear that I don’t have to buy a lace up style. I met one of their reps at a horse expo and he guaranteed they could fit me in a boot, and I’ve worn theirs ever since.

I love my Ariats. I have my Pro-baby boots that I wear all day everyday right now. I’ve done something to my right foot and these are the only boots that are comfy all day. I had a pair of the Terrains when they first came out and even though they were comfy, they didn’t last long. But, the price isn’t that bad and I did wear them alot so I would recommend them.

I also had a pair of Acme boots that I loved. They were crepe soles and weren’t the best quality boots, but once they broke in, they were some of the most comfy boots I’ve had. They held up surprisingly well for the leather quality, lasting almost 3 years. I didn’t wear them everyday, so they lasted longer:winkgrin:.

I have a pair of buckaroo (tall high top) Rios of Mercedes that I love. Had the Lucchese and was not crazy about them but granted they were not the higher end of the Lucchese line.

I especially like a tall western boot in the winter, when it keeps your calf area warm. The tall boot also reminds me of the Dehners that I wore for years, gives me the same kind of nice feel against the saddle.

I would not ride in a tall western boot in the summer, too hot. And the poster made a very good point about not wanting to walk in western boots if she lost her horse. No matter how comfortable my boots are, I would rather be walking a long distance in something more suitable.

I LIVE in my Ariat lace-ups! I can ride all day or walk all day in them. I’ve always had trouble with traditional cowboy boots - blisters, pain, etc. LOVE my Ariats!

Gee, y’all have mentioned some brands I’ve never heard of. Ariats- never tried their cowboy boots, never noticed they had any! I do have some old lace up paddock boots of theirs- just okay.

Cowboy boots- well, I’ve always had Tony Lamas or Justins, mostly. Currently have a pair of Noconas, very confy, don’t know what the retail was on them, I scored them on sale for $70 at a local tack shop.

As noted, though, you often get what you pay for in boots. In English boots, I’ve got Dehners from the mid 80s still going strong, and a pair of Loeb field boots that I have ‘borrowed’ from a college roommate- made in 1971 and I just got them resoled/reheeled. Come to think of it I have an 80 yo pair of Abercrombie and Fitch boots (made in England) but they are about gone!

Anybody ever tried riding in Frye’s?

I lusted after these in college but never had any $$. Still lust after them, but don’t really have reason to buy any…

This might be a good excuse!

A nice pair of ropers. They lace up, support your ankles and are comfortable.

White’s makes some lovely boots.

Tony Lama’s

Best
Boots
Ever

That said, I tend to ride in Ariat’s waterproof shoe.

Lama’s are great to ride in if you ride in a western boot - but I quit that when I went gaited.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7560233/c/2267.html

I had a pair of these for years until I lost them in a move. I used to wear them all day when I was at college and easily walked several miles comfortably (Penn State is a huge campus). It took awhile to break them in since the leather was pretty thick but after awhile they were so supple, and the sole was really durable.

I prefer to ride in something close fitting. A western boot feels too sloppy around my ankles. Ariat makes a reasonable and well made western lace-up boot, too. I think they also call that one the Heritage. Pull the kilty off and voila! English paddock boot… for much cheaper!

The sole of my leather-soled boots is much too slick to ride in.

I had a nice pair until my ex’s dog decided to grab one and bury it somewhere outside while we were at work. Never did find it.

First, I don’t like riding in a cowboy boot for the reasons stated above, I hate hiking in rough country in a boot with out ankle support. And most cowboy boots have a thin sole, In rocky country you get a bruise sole from walking in them.

I’ve worn out several pair of Justins in some exotic leathers. I enjoy them for work or out to a movie. I currently have a pair of Nocona. They fit great. One of the main factors in boot cost is the type of leather. Pain old steer hide is cheaper, Lizard, snake skin, Ostretch etc all drive the price up.

For riding, I have 4 pair of Packer boots. These are a lace up with much better ankle support. They do come with a smooth sole, but I watch for the ones with a thicker sole to offer some protection from the pressures of walking over rocks.

The Kenetrek Cowboy boot is probably the best Winter/Cold weather boot you can get for riding in the winter. It’s an insulated pac that is shaped like a cowboy boot to fit in the stirrups. Excellent quality.

My advice to you, is don’t look at the names, rather try on boots until you find a pair that is very comfortable to you. then the price will be a matter of what leather it’s made out of .

second the cowboy packer style!

LOVE my packer boots. Lace up, waterproof, stiff leather sole,low heeled ones I got at Southern States!
Great for hiking/walking and riding. I wear w/half chaps. Prefer them over english style paddock boots. They are better made=more substantial IMHO. Mine have lasted forever.