"best" figure 8/grackle bridle

Looking for a figure 8/grackle bridle with horse comfort as top priority that would also satisfy a leather “snob”. Currently in an Anteras precision Y noseband bridle that doesn’t fit quite right (the noseband part). Ideally looking for the entire bridle as opposed to just a noseband to avoid mis-matching parts. The Anteras figure of 8 looks to sit low as opposed to the traditional high grackle I’m looking for.

Anyone with the following bridles - good/bad?
Welcome other recs!

Considering the following:
-nunn finer padded inlay figure 8
-CWD (though crownpiece looks bulky, not sure if this would encroach on ear space)
-devoucoux
-equiline
-fairfax (not sure I buy into the “research” which seems a little gimmicky)

I’ve heard leather quality has been disappointing. Do you have personal experience with this bridle?

I have a Vespucci figure 8 that I really like.

4 Likes

I was at Dover yesterday and fondled all the bridles extensively :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: This figure 8 was significantly softer than the others - it even had calf lining all the way down the noseband straps to the buckles.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/rio-select-anatomic-fig-8-brdl/p/X1-120154/

2 Likes

I have a Nunn Finer that ive had for 10+ years. The leather has held up relatively well (other than the piece by thir mouth underneath the buckle but that may be because I didn’t take great care of it when i was young n dumb lol). I really like the look of it and I actually find it quite adjustable size wise.

1 Like

I have this bridle and I LOVE it so much. Worth every penny (I found it a little cheaper in the UK) and now two of my barn friends have also gotten it. I have had it for a year now and still looks brand new.

2 Likes

I don’t have it, but I was intrigued by the Black Diamond Designs Figure 8 when they were mentioned in a recent long thread in the Hunter/Jumper forum

2 Likes

I am a big fan of my Arc de Triomphe Imperial bridle. But - it does run large, and mine is 17 years old so not sure if the quality is the same. It has the comfort crown (not bulky) but isn’t anatomical, which is my preference. I also prefer the figure 8 to sit a little higher, but this is an O/S I had from a prior horse and it is slightly large on him (a 16.3 but narrow WB).

1 Like

I don’t know if this would satisfy a leather snob, but I recently bought the Shires Velociti Figure 8 after ogling it for a long time and am very happy with it. After some oil, the leather quality honestly doesn’t seem any different to me than some of the Passiers and Kavalkades I own (not sure those are the highest end either though). What I really like about it is the curve of the crownpiece around the years, about which I am exceedingly picky, and the lack of white stitching. The original browband was too short for my taste but easy to substitute. This is my 15.3 hh TB in the horse size (he wears a cob in other brands but that was way too small):

4 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this! Every time I walk into Dover it seems I have to touch every piece of leather in the store.

1 Like

Leather Fondlers Unite! :joy:

When we walked in, I turned to my husband and said listen, I’m going to have to touch every single thing in the store before we can leave so get ready for a long session… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t now If they ship overseas, but I have a montar and love it. It has a special neck piece, which is why a wanted it and the cheek pieces are without rings and padded, so won’t cause rubbing. I’m a leather monk myself and really like the quality of the leather.

1 Like

3 Likes

Hahaha!! I’ve had the exact same conversation with my husband!

1 Like

Finally found a shop, that DOES deliver to the US:

They are trustworthy and the bridle is currently reduced in prize. Shipping cost are about 25$.

3 Likes

Of the brands you’ve mentioned, I’ve only had experience with Nunn Finer (their Bartville-made stuff), CWD, and Devoucoux leather products. I would say the Nunn Finer feels like the sturdiest leather, and the one I’d personally pick out of the bunch based off of leather quality. I believe I heard somewhere that Equiline bridles are contracted out to Dy’on’s factory, which I believe also manufactures CWD, Devoucoux, and Butet bridles (though I may be wrong).

I also have a very large collection of bridles, and my favorites that are still in production are Bennett’s Hunter/Jimmy’s, EquuSport, Edgewood, Hadfield’s, Beval (though I’m not sure their current bridles are of the same quality as their older ones), Jeffries, Stübben, Aramas, Americana, and Ovation (as a less expensive option, but the last bridle I’ve purchased from them within the last couple of years has great leather for the price).

Oh, and I have a pair of reins from Black Diamond Designs that are stunning, so I’m sure the bridles are as well!

2 Likes

Thanks! These look interesting. What is different about the “adjustable strap at the back”? Is this the throatlatch? I like the anatomic crown and lack of metal rings. Do you find that the cheek piece sits in the traditional high/mexican grackle position?

Several of the “figure 8” bridles I’ve seen without rings seem to sit lower and I would think provide less jaw stability.

I’ve seen this bridle in person and it’s extremely soft, esp the padding

Hey,

the throatlatch is totally normal. The neck piece consists of two parts, which are anatomically shaped and connected through a strap, which allows you to adjust the wideness to the neck of your horse. It’s especially for not putting pressure on first vertebra.

I think, they might sit a little lower, depending on how you “install” it. But I like to have it sitting a little lower to avoid the cheekbone from being squeeze or irritated. But you can certainly put it up higher.

If you want me to, I can make some picture of the bridle tomorrow from the head piece and how it sits at my mare. But keep in in mind, I have a 15.4h mare which needs a full bridle for her lenghtly head, but has a smaller nose :smiley:

1 Like