Unlimited access >

Best head lamp? How bout those ball caps?

Looking for the latest and greatest head lamp. Or feedback on those baseball caps with a couple lights in the brim.

The head lamps sag. The baseball caps wouldn’t. But I don’t know if they are as bright or come with the red light option.

A brand named Roq was on Shark Tank, but Amazon reviews are not good for the ball cap version. The reviews say the headlamps don’t aim, and hats don’t fit. The worst reviews are for the ball cap version. The beanies apparently work better. This brand doesn’t offer a red light version. I think it’s an LED light, so that should be bright.

I had one from.some other brand years ago but there was no way to replace the batteries when it died.

I have a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDUCN3K/ref=sw_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1 (or something similar enough as to be identical) that I got at Lowe’s or HD years ago and like them quite a lot. They’re warmer than a ball cap and the lights point down rather than straight out, so the ground in front of you is illuminated nicely, which is great for walking dogs, but also works well in the barn.

2 Likes

I have the LL Bean version of the ball cap (have not looked to see if they still have it) and I find it useful.

It is a stationary light in the brim of a hat, so clearly it has its limitations. If you (general) are used to a fancy head lamp that allows the light itself to be rotated or positioned wherever you want it, the ball cap might not be acceptable to you.

I find the ball cap easy to wear, it stays in place well where the headlamp never did on my head. Long battery life. Works great for winter (in the dark) horse chores and such.

Edit to add - the ball cap LL Bean offers now is rechargeable. Mine is older and takes those disc batteries.

I’m curious that head lamps sag. I have a few - all Black Diamond or Peitz and none of them sag. And that is with both me and my much larger headed SO sharing them so the elastic is getting a workout. Maybe try one of those brands?

4 Likes

Can’t you DYI one with a baseball cap and two smaller Led lights? I have 2 of those very bright LEDs that are maybe 3 inches long and take 2 aaa batteries. Mine come with small lanyards ( sp?).
This is the fun of DYI, messing around to make the perfect-for-you functional thing.

I would say it is a head shape thing.
Feel glad you do not have that head shape.

Personally, I can not keep a hair head band on, or one of those head band style ear warmers. Or heck, even trying to put a bandana on my head as a head covering, it just will not stay put.

1 Like

I wear a headlamp over my wool ballcap. Helps keep it from sliding around.

1 Like

Maybe it’s my fivehead, I dunno. Inevitably they slide down, bounce, droop. The best I managed was a head lamp strapped over a visor, but then the angle was wrong and I had two sets of gear pushing on my ears.

I might try a beanie and a new headlamp. I didn’t know they put them in beanies. Smart!

Anyone else annoyed by yet another thing with a charger to keep track of? I’d much rather change a battery then have yet another charger to stash somewhere, lose, or clutter the counter.

I have one similar, and it worked well, the light is quite blinding for anyone walking towards you. The only problem with mine is that the light element was stuck on and fell off. Lost forever.
I’d get one again, though.

1 Like

I also find it strange that they sag, not because they stay in place on me, but because they all seem to creep up my head and pop off the top. Maybe I am a well-disguised conehead.

1 Like

Best head lamp I’ve found yet. I have a basketful of different ones and these are the best.

2 Likes

I have this and just wear with a hat.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Kobalt-Broadview-Hybrid-Rechargeable-Headlamp-500/5002008283?user=shopping&feed=yes&srsltid=AfmBOooLSyjMvTFtYtmoxhNah-ben_xJTDCzL2phcsdQbWNlZuzWxYlQ-iM

1 Like

I just got one of these. I like it, the band is stretchy rubber and not elastic so it won’t wear out as quickly. It has the band light as well as a spotlight. I like that its a rechargeable and doesn’t use batteries.

Night Buddy The Original LED Headlamp Rechargeable Flashlight for Adults Camping Essentials Backpacking Lights 4X Brighter Other Headlight Headband Lamp 5 Light Modes Hiking Gear Must Haves - Amazon.com

Hands down - Fenix HM65R.
They are light up the night bright and their charge lasts a long time. They are what my DH and his adventure racing team all use for racing at night- they can take a beating for sure too

2 Likes

This one, they have two models, has a silicone headband, may not slip as bad:

https://www.acmetools.com/panther-vision-gumbi-lamp-headlamp-olive-translucent-rechargeable-led-rhb-9701/811465009701.html?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvJarBhA1EiwAGgZl0OXwnrs_MIpPgrNvkLQTnhTUGLJNk9yW_d61eWAhYTlsmmvXvx8t8hoC_t4QAvD_BwE

These are my favorites. The headband can be a bit of a pain to adjust but the light is awesome. OLIGHT Perun 2 2500 Lumens Rechargeable Headlamp, Multi-Functional Right Angle MCC Waterproof Flashlight with Headband, Perfect for Night Camping, Hiking, Hunting(Black) https://a.co/d/f2EQ6sD

I have a knit cap with a light in it. It’s so great, I bought a bunch for family members.

Headbands can always be tightened… I’ve ony had a problem when my hair is freshly washed and slippery, but I do want to try the beanie type.

I recently purchased a USB rechargeable headlamp that was so bright I could have directed airpcraft to a landing strip. But where battery-powered headlamps gradually dim as the batteries die, these go from bright to dead in an instant. I’d be doing a midnight bed check and suddenly find myself stumbling around in total darkness. I suppose an organized person would keep their light charged, but…

2 Likes