Unlimited access >

Best Lawn Mowers (that won't break after a couple years)

Our Craftsman Riding Lawn mower is only 4 years old and already having major issues. It keeps throwing the belt inside out for whatever reason. If you go to turn the blades on you have to very SLOWLY move the lever or it will throw the belt. I don’t know why it does this. Currently I am keeping the blades on the highest setting and not moving them at all.

It also has some rusted out spots. Do they make mowers with galvanized steel or galvanneal? Here in Florida the grass is always wet. Either you have dew in the morning or rain in the evening. It’s nearly impossible to cut the grass when the grass is dry unless you want to be outside in the blazing sun.

Looking at replacement mowers. It is a big investment for something that doesn’t last very long without breaking. The mower is currently working… for now. Not sure how long it will last this time. Maybe a John Deere mower would be a better investment?

We have a John Deere mower but not the cheap 100 series you get from Home Depot. We went to a John Deere tractor store and bought one of the 300 series (so it looks like a cheaper model but is built stronger and more like a tractor). We have had it for years and I can’t tell you how many hours are on it, but its a lot.

My hubby uses it to cut the smaller portions of grass around the farm. We cut about 10 acres of our property 2 x a week. He used the JD lawnmower and the Kubota tractor with a proper finishing mower to do the larger stuff.

We are in Ontario so can cut through the day. He does it most evenings around 6pm and will cut into the dark if he has to. He does not like to cut it when wet though as it doesn’t do a good enough job.

1 Like

you want something that has a fabricated mowing deck. Those are usually 9 ga steel that is wielded together rather than the pressed steel decks on the standard home lawn mowers

those 100 series JD pressed steel mower decks are notorious for getting bent.

We have JD mowers and they run like a top, never have any problems and they last for years and hope our luck holds.

When we needed a bit bigger mower, our neighbor adopted Green Bug and told me the other day that ancient thing is still running like a top for him.

We get our machinery from the dealer and is the heavier duty kind, not big box store run of the mill, inconsistent quality ones.

I can’t vouch for current models, but when I bought my farm in 2004 seller left a Yardman riding mower. Wasn’t new then & I mowed lawns & pastures with it for the next 15yrs. Probably 1+ac lawn & ~2+ac pastures.
Then sold it to a friend who’s still using it.
Most it ever needed was annual mower deck belt replaced & blades sharpened.
I did have to replace a spindle on the front twice, but that was due to Pilot Error mowing rutted pasture at speed :roll_eyes:

Belt throwing is typically an easy fix.

First question that might get me smacked by my safety guy - have you removed all of the silly plastic covers that the mower comes with? Junk gets trapped under there and can prematurely wear the belt. The covers themselves can warp as well, and be wearing on the belt.

Next, check your pulleys. Anything weird on them? Have someone engage the PTO while you watch. Anything weird? How about the tensioner pulley - is it keeping good tension even when the PTO is not engaged?

Super old Craftsman stuff was known for longevity, not so much anymore. That said, 4 years isn’t enough. Take a good look at the entire pulley and cable system, make sure all the grease ports are “current”, remove those plastic jobbies, and go from there.

1 Like

Somehow we and our extended family have a acquired a taste for Snapper mowers. Can’t kill them.

Agree with @clanter about the decks though.

I have a commercial Toro Zero turn and I love it. Nothing is bending the deck on that workhorse.

Only issue is I’ve replaced the belt once in two years and had the blades sharpened this spring.

1 Like

What kind of maintenance do you do on it? Do you clean it after use and inspect it regularly to make sure there’s nothing stuck or wrapped around where it shouldn’t be?

The consumer grade ones from the home improvement stores are meant for residential lawns. Most farm use is just going to be too much for them.

We had a commercial Kubota zero turn here for a while, bought used and re-sold recently.

Used, in good condition, commercial mowers are the way to go. You may have to pay more but they will last waaaaay longer. I am still using a 70’s Howard Price zero turn for the yard grass. Built like a tank. All I need to do is perform all routine maintenance.

We bought a used Scag Zero turn about 10+ years ago. I beat it to hell and its still working great. There have been occasional issues with the starter, and I’m not nice to it, so I clog fuel lines occassionally, but its been pretty awesome. I’m lucky though, as Mr. eponacelt is very mechanical and fixes any issues right away.

This is the key with commercial equipment is being able to do your own work. The parts are $$ and typically need to be ordered, so if you’re not mechanically inclined enough to know what part you need you’re hosed unless you bring it to a pro that deals with commercial equipment.

That said, I used a Scag zero turn for quite some time, and dang was that a nice machine. The RPMs made it possible to mow at light speed and it left a velvet finish on the grass.

The parts for commercial mowers are not expensive and can be found on ebay (if you do the research). Mower and engine manuals can be found quite easily if you take the time to look. So far I have replaced; clutch, front wheels, tires, carburettor cutoff, air filters, oil filters, batteries, belts, fuel pumps, solenoid, starter, sharpened blades etc etc.(That I can remember) ALL purchased on ebay using the part numbers out of the manuals.

1 Like

Yes I agree but someone needs to know how to troubleshoot and turn a wrench. Not everyone can or will do that.

It’s not rocket science ! You can look it all up on Google.

We have a Massey Ferguson riding mower from 1997, heavily, heavily used on our lawns (very hilly, lots of roots) and until recently it was also used in the winter with a snow blower for snow removal. It is not the most user friendly in some respects (the snow blower and leaf/clipping attachments were nightmares to attach). But, it is rock solid.
That being said, I bought it in 1997, the most recent MF equipment I bought was in 2012. I haven’t bought anything of that sort from anyone since then. I am a cynic, I assume with the rise of computerized everything, that they probably aren’t as tough. They may perform better, but they don’t stand up to abuse.
(Total side vent: who the F---- decided to computerize the carburetor of a chainsaw?! Looking at you Stihl and Husquvarna)

We have an old John Deer riding mower. DH mows rocks with it on the regular and it could not care less, throws rocks and still keeps the yard neat. Tough machine, I’m not sure what version it is but it’s small, intended for nice yards not rocks. Probably early 90’s era? My dad gave it to us when he got a zero turn that he’s had to fix a few times lol

ETA fixed the could care less verbiage…

Again, I 100% agree!

Neither is changing your own oil in your car, yet look how many people can’t even manage to do that. :slight_smile:

You are implying that people are inept. They are not. They have many reasons for not doing something, but normally it is easily accomplished, given the will.

You’re implying they’re motivated to learn to fix things themselves. Many people are not.

That’s ok! Nothing wrong with that! But suggesting those same people buy a commercial mower and then learn how to troubleshoot and repair it themselves is a bit of a stretch, eh?